What's new

Ring...at last!..Review (1 Viewer)

David Sams

Auditioning
I have been waiting for this for a long time. Finally Hideo Nakata's critically acclaimed Ring gets a release on DVD with english subtitles. All other versions around the world including the Japanese DVD and Hong Kong VCD had original language but no english subtitles.
It received only a limited run in theatres in the UK and I managed to miss it when it was showing in Glasgow, so this was my first viewing.
Believe me if you like horror films do yourself a favour and watch this movie. It has been compared to Blair Witch, The Exorcist and Scream and indeed has elements of all of those in it, but it is the mix of modern slasher film with old Japanese folklore and superb visual style that makes it so compelling.
So what about the disc......
General : Region 0 PAL UK disc
Picture : a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer is provided and it is very sharp, however it is very dark!! Now I did not see this in theatres so I have no reference point to say whether this is how it was meant to look, but to me it looks "X Files" dark :) a bit too much contrast if you ask me, all dark areas seem to merge into one with little definition.The transfer is taken from a japanese print and there are signs of minor damage and dirt at reel changes. The subtitles are not player generated but equally do not look like they were on the print. So I assume they were generated electronically and added to the transfer.
Sound: A Dolby Digital 2.0 track is provided (224kbps) and is very clear. Again I do not know the original sound format, but I know the Japanese DVD had a new 5.1 track so perhaps there was a missed opportunity here.
Extras: There is not much in the way of extras..
3 Trailers
1: UK Theatrical Ring trailer
2: Ring 2
3: Audition
All are presented in non-anamorphic widescreen
A chance to watch "the video" if you dare
wink.gif
is also offered with a neat warning screen before hand advising you that the producers of the disc do not accept any responsibility for what might happen :) In fact the interactive menus in general are nicely done.
Text based extras include filmographies for the stars, director and composer, press quotes and a review of the film by Mark Kermode.
In closing I think that if more time and effort had been spent on the transfer it could have looked and sounded better but I loved the film so much that I am just happy to finally get a chance to own it. Bring on Ring 2 :)
David

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...think I'll wait for the French R2 disc then...
...oh... and, incidentally, there is no such thing as 'player generated' subtitles - if you think about it for a bit you'll realize why this is so!...
!
wink.gif
!

David Sams

Auditioning
I know that the player does not generate the subtitles Hendrik
wink.gif
I was just trying in a clumsy way to say that the subtitles were part of the "image" and not switchable. However they were obviously not on the print.
Clear as mud eh!! :)
David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks