What's new

Revolver Super Deluxe coming Fall 2022. See post 12. (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Revolver is the next super deluxe, the below text is left here to explain the first 11 comments.

Anyone hear any rumblings about any work being done on the Beatles two albums from 1963, Please Please Me and With the Beatles? With the technology used from the Get Back documentary they might be able to manage a decent stereo mix from these. I doubt there are much in the way of outtakes from these sessions so maybe they could do a 1963 box set?

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
IIRC, were these two albums recorded on two or four tracks in the studio? (ie. Two tracks, where all the instruments were recorded live to one track, while the vocals/harmonica were recorded to the other track). My old cd versions sounded like the master tape used was mixed down to mono.

Some of my old Beatles vinyl records sounded like they took the lazy way out by just playing the two tracks in "stereo", where one speaker had mostly the vocals and the other speaker had the instruments. (Such as the songs Please Please Me, Misery, Sie Liebt Die, etc ...).

With all that being said, what would be the benefit of doing a super deluxe versions of these two albums? Besides studio outtakes, demos, alternate takes, unreleased songs, etc ... and milking hardcore fans for more $$$$$. A lazy stereo two-track with the vocals in one speaker and the instruments in the other speaker, would seem kinda superfluous.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
With all that being said, what would be the benefit of doing a super deluxe versions of these two albums? Besides studio outtakes, demos, alternate takes, unreleased songs, etc ... and milking hardcore fans for more $$$$$. A lazy stereo two-track with the vocals in one speaker and the instruments in the other speaker, would seem kinda superfluous.
There is also the potential benefit of high-resolution audio offered on the blu-ray disk. Personally, I'd be most interested in Rubber Soul and Revolver next. Also, with what they are charging I would likely need decent multi-channel support to continue down this path of purchases.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The current stereo versions are just whatever was on track one is left and whatever was on track two is right. With newer technology they might be able to isolate instruments better and make a better mix. Hopefully at least getting the vocals to the center.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The current stereo versions are just whatever was on track one is left and whatever was on track two is right. With newer technology they might be able to isolate instruments better and make a better mix. Hopefully at least getting the vocals to the center.

Are there any documented cases of "new tech" doing this exactly?

If such a computer program exists, I imagine it would be something which is able to separate out the individual bass, guitar, and drums from one another from the original "one track" (with only the instruments).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only (hypothetical) algorithm I can think of offhand, would be a program which is able to guess the other instruments' waveform(s) and use that to "cancel out" the undesired instruments. The net sum would in principle leave behind the desired instrument alone, and likely some sonic artifacts.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Also in the Get Back documentary they were able to isolate the Beatles talking while they were intentionally trying to cover their voices by playing their instruments.

Brian Hatton

Auditioning
I believe the Beatles and the studio engineers only worked on a mono presentation. What you get in the Beatles in Mono boxset is said to be what they intended the listener to hear, not stereo. Any ‘stereo’ was at best an after hours project, hence the apparently lazy approach.
If you crave the voices in the middle, you’ll have to flick the mono switch if you have one or buy the above boxset 😊

Real Name
Luke Pacholski
I believe the Beatles and the studio engineers only worked on a mono presentation. What you get in the Beatles in Mono boxset is said to be what they intended the listener to hear, not stereo. Any ‘stereo’ was at best an after hours project, hence the apparently lazy approach.
If you crave the voices in the middle, you’ll have to flick the mono switch if you have one or buy the above boxset 😊

While mono was primary at the time, the rest is not true. The stereo mixes were all done with George Martin present, despite his claims to the contrary later. In fact, most of Please Please Me was "mixed" simultaneously to mono and stereo using the delta mono function on the REDD desk, while for With The Beatles Martin recorded a piano part specifically for/during the stereo mix, since the piano overdub on the mono mix had been recorded directly to mono.

As far as the next Super Deluxe box goes, it should be Revolver in a few months. People have seen the book that goes with it and have reported on the contents.

IIRC, were these two albums recorded on two or four tracks in the studio? (ie. Two tracks, where all the instruments were recorded live to one track, while the vocals/harmonica were recorded to the other track). My old cd versions sounded like the master tape used was mixed down to mono.

Some of my old Beatles vinyl records sounded like they took the lazy way out by just playing the two tracks in "stereo", where one speaker had mostly the vocals and the other speaker had the instruments. (Such as the songs Please Please Me, Misery, Sie Liebt Die, etc ...).

Love Me Do and P.S. I Love You were recorded directly to mono.

The rest of the Please Please Me and With The Beatles LPs were recorded to "twin-track". In general that means "instruments left, vocals right", but there are exceptions. For instance, Lennon's guitar on I Saw Her Standing There was recorded onto the vocal track and is right in the stereo "mix". Or Money, where the basic track was backing on one track and vocals on the other, but the piano overdub during the stereo mix allowed them to mix the backing left, vocals center, and piano right.

The 1987 CDs used the mono mixes. Nothing was changed for the CDs, they are simply the original mono mixes.

With I Want To Hold Your Hand George Martin finally began using the 4-track machines that were first available at EMI in 1959. Again, his memory was off: he claimed EMI didn't get them until late 1963.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Official Trailer

"GET THE BEATLES’ REVOLVER INTO YOUR LIFE WITH THE NEWLY MIXED AND EXPANDED SPECIAL EDITION Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream… On 28th October, 'Revolver' will be released worldwide in a range of beautifully presented, newly-mixed and expanded Special Edition packages. The new stereo mix, sourced directly from the original four-track master tapes, is brought forth in stunning clarity with the help of cutting edge de-mixing technology developed by Peter Jackson’s WingNut Films Productions Ltd. Showcasing GRAMMY-winning original album artwork created by Klaus Voormann, the Super Deluxe CD and vinyl house a beautiful book featuring Paul McCartney’s foreword, an introduction by Giles Martin, an enlightening essay by Questlove, and insightful chapters by Kevin Howlett. Available across 5CD/4LP Super Deluxe, 2CD Deluxe, Picture Disk, 1LP, 1CD, Download and Streaming. Dolby Atmos Mixes + original mono mix accompany never-before-released session recordings and demos, plus the “Paperback Writer” and “Rain” EP."

No Blu-Ray with this set. Atmos mixes only available by music streaming services.

REVOLVER SPECIAL EDITION
Tracklists​

SUPER DELUXE [5CD + 100-page hardbound book in slipcase | digital audio collection]
CD1: Revolver (New stereo mix)
1: Taxman
2: Eleanor Rigby
3: I’m Only Sleeping
4: Love You To
5: Here, There And Everywhere
6: Yellow Submarine
7: She Said She Said
8: Good Day Sunshine
9: And Your Bird Can Sing
10: For No One
11: Doctor Robert
12: I Want To Tell You
13: Got To Get You Into My Life
14: Tomorrow Never Knows
CD2: Sessions One
1: Tomorrow Never Knows (Take 1)
2: Tomorrow Never Knows (Mono mix RM 11)
3: Got To Get You Into My Life (First version) – Take 5
4: Got To Get You Into My Life (Second version) – Unnumbered mix - mono
5: Got To Get You Into My Life (Second version) – Take 8
6: Love You To (Take 1) - mono
7: Love You To (Unnumbered rehearsal) - mono
8: Love You To (Take 7)
9: Paperback Writer (Takes 1 and 2) – Backing track – mono
10: Rain (Take 5 – Actual speed)
11: Rain (Take 5 – Slowed down for master tape)
12: Doctor Robert (Take 7)
13: And Your Bird Can Sing (First version) – Take 2
14: And Your Bird Can Sing (First version) – Take 2 (giggling)
CD3: Sessions Two
1: And Your Bird Can Sing (Second version) – Take 5
2: Taxman (Take 11)
3: I’m Only Sleeping (Rehearsal fragment) - mono
4: I’m Only Sleeping (Take 2) - mono
5: I’m Only Sleeping (Take 5) - mono
6: I’m Only Sleeping (Mono mix RM1)
7: Eleanor Rigby (Speech before Take 2)
8: Eleanor Rigby (Take 2)
9: For No One (Take 10) – Backing track
10: Yellow Submarine (Songwriting work tape – Part 1) - mono
11: Yellow Submarine (Songwriting work tape – Part 2) – mono
12: Yellow Submarine (Take 4 before sound effects)
13: Yellow Submarine (Highlighted sound effects)
14: I Want To Tell You (Speech and Take 4)
15: Here, There And Everywhere (Take 6)
16: She Said She Said (John’s demo) - mono
17: She Said She Said (Take 15) – Backing track rehearsal
CD4: Revolver (Original mono master)
Album tracklist (same as above)
CD5: Revolver EP
1: Paperback Writer (New stereo mix)
2: Rain (New stereo mix)
3: Paperback Writer (Original mono mix remastered)
4: Rain (Original mono mix remastered)

SUPER DELUXE VINYL [limited edition 4LP+7-inch EP + 100-page hardbound book in slipcase]
LP One: Revolver (New stereo mix)
Side 1
1: Taxman
2: Eleanor Rigby
3: I’m Only Sleeping
4: Love You To
5: Here, There And Everywhere
6: Yellow Submarine
7: She Said She Said
Side 2
1: Good Day Sunshine
2: And Your Bird Can Sing
3: For No One
4: Doctor Robert
5: I Want To Tell You
6: Got To Get You Into My Life
7: Tomorrow Never Knows
LP Two: Sessions One
Side 1
1: Tomorrow Never Knows (Take 1)
2: Tomorrow Never Knows (Mono mix RM 11)
3: Got To Get You Into My Life (First version) – Take 5
4: Got To Get You Into My Life (Second version) – Unnumbered mix - mono
5: Got To Get You Into My Life (Second version) – Take 8
6: Love You To (Take 1) - mono
7: Love You To (Unnumbered rehearsal) - mono
Side 2
1: Love You To (Take 7)
2: Paperback Writer (Takes 1 and 2) – Backing track – mono
3: Rain (Take 5 – Actual speed)
4: Rain (Take 5 – Slowed down for master tape)
5: Doctor Robert (Take 7)
6: And Your Bird Can Sing (First version) – Take 2
7: And Your Bird Can Sing (First version) – Take 2 (giggling)
LP Three: Sessions Two
Side 1
1: And Your Bird Can Sing (Second version) – Take 5
2: Taxman (Take 11)
3: I’m Only Sleeping (Rehearsal fragment) - mono
4: I’m Only Sleeping (Take 2) - mono
5: I’m Only Sleeping (Take 5) - mono
6: I’m Only Sleeping (Mono mix RM1)
7: Eleanor Rigby (Speech before Take 2)
8: Eleanor Rigby (Take 2)
Side 2
1: For No One (Take 10) – Backing track
2: Yellow Submarine (Songwriting work tape – Part 1) - mono
3: Yellow Submarine (Songwriting work tape – Part 2) – mono
4: Yellow Submarine (Take 4 before sound effects)
5: Yellow Submarine (Highlighted sound effects)
6: I Want To Tell You (Speech and Take 4)
7: Here, There And Everywhere (Take 6)
8: She Said She Said (John’s demo) - mono
9: She Said She Said (Take 15) – Backing track rehearsal
LP Four: Revolver (Original mono master)
Album tracklist (same as above)
Revolver EP (7-inch vinyl)
Side 1
Side 2
1: Paperback Writer (Original mono mix remastered)
2: Rain (Original mono mix remastered)

DELUXE [2CD in digipak with 40-page booklet]
CD 1: Revolver (New stereo mix)
CD 2: Sessions
3: Tomorrow Never Knows (Take 1)
4: Got To Get You Into My Life (Early mix)
5: Love You To (Take 7)
6: Doctor Robert (Take 7)
7: And Your Bird Can Sing (First version) Take 2
8: Taxman (Take 11)
9: I’m Only Sleeping (Take 2) - mono
10: Eleanor Rigby (Take 2)
11: For No One (Take 10) – Backing track
12: Yellow Submarine (Take 4 before sound effects)
13: I Want To Tell You (Speech and Take 4)
14: Here, There And Everywhere (Take 6)
15: She Said She Said (Take 15) – Backing track rehearsal

STANDARD [1CD | digital | 1LP vinyl | limited edition 1LP picture disc vinyl]
Revolver (New stereo mix)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So I’m a bit confused about this announcement, because some sources mention a Dolby Atmos mix, though all the hard evidence indicates just a 5CD set. I have my doubts that I will spring without a multi-channel mix (and let’s face it, not saying I would, but if it’s a CD only set, it won’t be hard to acquire unethically)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
So I’m a bit confused about this announcement, because some sources mention a Dolby Atmos mix, though all the hard evidence indicates just a 5CD set. I have my doubts that I will spring without a multi-channel mix (and let’s face it, not saying I would, but if it’s a CD only set, it won’t be hard to acquire unethically)
Apple Music has "Atmos mixes" but you need to listen to them with headphones.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
The cheapest I have found this for preorder right now comes in at $205 with shipping....ouch

I am referring to the SUPER DELUXE VINYL version

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm getting my box set for Christmas, but from what I heard streaming, at the very least we finally have a stereo mix of revolver that you can listen to with headphones without feeling like someone is yelling into your left ear.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I listened to the entire 2022 mix of the album and found it to be the biggest improvement in a Super Deluxe mix since Sgt. Peppers. The White Album, Abbey Road, and Let It Be had decent stereo mixes so the remix was more incremental. Now for the first time there is a modern sounding stereo mix of Revolver. My go to mixes for everything up to Sgt. Pepper (Super Deluxe) had been the mono mixes.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I’m really disappointed that the Atmos surround mix is only available via streaming. All of the other super deluxe sets include Blu-rays and/or DVDs but the Revolver set just includes CDs.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
The pricing is pretty consistent. I was wandering around the Amoeba Record store in Hollywood this afternoon (business trip to the West coast for a week) and saw the same deluxe vinyl set at $199.00....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks