What's new

Review Wanted: Home Theater Tune-Up by Sound & Vision (1 Viewer)

Tony Peck

Grip
Ted,

What kind of DVD player do you own? I have a Sony DVP-C670D and I had problems with the speaker phase test on HTT also. The tones would play correctly and would match the screen for the "in phase" portion, but when the tones played "out of phase" the screen would revert back to the "in phase" display for the previous test. For example, the Left Front / Center test would play "in phase" and show the Left Front and Center speakers highlighted, then the tone would switch to "out of phase" and the screen would highlight the Left Front and Right Front speakers and the box would still read "in phase". These types of bugs appeared in the 5.1 speaker ID test and subwoofer level tests as well (for both DD and DTS).

I loaned the disc to a friend with a Toshiba 4750 player and he did not have the problem, so it must be an interaction issue with certain players. I also own the AVIA disc and have had no such problems with it.

Bugs not withstanding, I don't think the HTT disc is nearly the caliber of the AVIA disc. It is geared more for the HT beginner, or someone who will only perform basic user menu calibrations (rather than in-depth service menu tweaks). It has only a fraction of the Audio/Video tests that AVIA provides and the test descriptions are very basic. If you read S&V or HT magazine on a regular basis you will not learn anything new from the "instructional" section of this disc.

The one redeeming feature of HTT is that it does provide THX EX and DTS ES 6.1 test tones (AVIA only has DD 5.1 tones). DTS calibration was the primary reason for my purchasing this disc. Even this feature is limited, however, as it only provides subwoofer level calibration with the Left Front speaker (AVIA has DD subwoofer level cal with all five main speakers).

Ovation Software will be releasing "AVIA Pro" later this year which should contain all the features of the existing AVIA while adding full DTS calibration tones. I would recommend that anyone serious about Home Theater calibration wait for this disc rather than purchase S&V Home Theater Tune-Up.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey tony!

i've also got a sony (560d) machine. i wonder if it's something sony-specific?

i'll have to take it over to a friend's house and see if i encounter the same problem.

again, i wasn't really worried since i'm totally anal about making sure my wires are correctly-phased, but you know how those midnight wiring jobs go...

David Singleton

Stunt Coordinator
Guy, regarding the differences with settings for the 480I and 480P modes:

Chuck Williams just recently calibrated my Panny PT-47WX49. The calibration was done where the user settings could be set in the middle after adjustments. This was done to compensate for the resetting of the user settings to the middle (except the Picture setting, which is maxed) after exiting from the service menu. With the exception of the Brightness user setting (at 40 instead of 31), he succeeded- for 480I. In 480P, the Color user setting must be adjusted to 20.

This is an apparent glitch, or at least an oddity, for this television. That said, after calibration, the image from the set is absolutely stunning.

You might want to talk to Chuck directly for more specific information.

David

Jose Robles

Agent
I too am wondering whether this disc is available in Canada. So far, the online places that I've checked don't seem to ship to Canada. Any suggestions?

Also, which one of these would be better: Avia, VE or HT Tune-up?

Jose

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Could someone elaborate on what patterns the disc uses to set up contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc.

Are there standard PLUGE patterns etc.?

Gui A

Supporting Actor
For the Canadians (well, more for the Torontonians, really),
I'm pretty sure I saw a few copies down at Bay St. Video
shortly after it came out.
Can't remember the price though... Sorry.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
if i remember correctly:
brightness
there are a couple of vertical bars on the left hand-side that move back and forth. you're supposed to turn down the brightness until you can just barely see one of the bars
contrast
there is a stack of square boxes, darkest on the bottom, brightest on the top. you're supposed to turn up the contrast until just before the top two boxes blend together
sharpness
there is a funky looking pattern. the dvd tells you what two spots to look at.
i haven't done it in a while so i'm not 100%...but it sounds about right. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks