What's new

Review: Billy Joel: The Essential Video Collection (1 Viewer)

Gary_E

Second Unit
Billy Joel: The Essential Video Collection is a compilation of Billy Joel’s videos, as well as clips of a few of his live performances. All videos are full frame except Allentown which is non anamorphic widescreen and all are re-mastered in DD 5.1 sound. There is also a PCM track.
I’m not really a big fan of gimmicky 5.1 re-mixes on concerts but I do enjoy the efforts on audio only discs and videos/movies (Yellow Submarine for example). On Billy Joel: The Essential Video Collection, the re-mixed songs work extremely well and the sound just seems to fit, enhancing the visual presentation.
Some of the older clips show their age and a few of the newer clips (Allentown) seem somewhat soft. The majority of the videos look excellent and all the DD 5.1 re-mixes are quite impressive.
A few standouts:
Pressure. If you remember this video, you will not be disappointed with the 5.1 re-mixes because it fits the video perfectly. The re-mixed rear crowd noise during Tell Her About It and the service station and motorcycle noises in Uptown Girl mesh with the videos nicely, giving them more dimension than before. The crown jewel here is Baby Grand. This great song comes alive with a well-done re-mix that mimics the artists’ position on screen. This may become one of your reference tracks.
My sole disappointment with this collection is the first track Piano Man. The video is the concert performance from LIVE AT YANKEE STADIUM. This is sad because I checked with a very knowledgeable Billy Joel fan about a B&W video for Piano Man I had seen years ago. He confirmed that it does exist and why it was not used is unclear.
There are no videos of any material after his The Bridge album.
This DVD is well worth it just for the 105 minutes of DD 5.1 remastered music. The cuts between the videos are quick and there is no talk over during the presentation. Simple screen shots precede a few of the videos indicating which album the video is from.
:emoji_thumbsup:
-Gary
Track list:
1. Piano Man
2. All For Leyna
3. Tell Her About It
4. Honesty
5. Sometimes A Fantasy
6. The Night Is Still Young
7. Pressure
8. My Life
9. Keeping The Faith
10. A Matter Of Trust
11. You’re Only Human (Second Wind)
12. Everybody Loves You Now
13. Uptown Girl
14. You May Be Right
15. Big Shot
16. The Longest Time
17. Allentown
18. Los Angelenos
19. It’s Still Rock And Roll To Me
20. Baby Grand
21. She’s Right On Time *
22. Goodnight Saigon (from LIVE ON LONG ISLAND..and it looks and sounds great) *
23. Leave A Tender Moment Alone (live) *
24. James *
* bonus tracks:

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I bought this dvd yesterday and I agree with your findings.

However, why wasn't We didn't start the fire, river of dreams, I go to extreme's on the disc?

The only thing I could think was he switched labels perhaps?

-- Matt

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
I would guess that the reason why there were no video's from "The Bridge" on is that they are all on his Greatest Hits Vol. 3 DVD.

I picked this up this weekend. I look forward to watching it tommorrow.

Gary_E

Second Unit
Chad,
Baby Grand is the only cut from The Bridge album.
However, why wasn't We didn't start the fire, river of dreams, I go to extreme's on the disc?
Matt, I suspect there will be an Essential Volume 2 in the future.
:)
-Gary

Gavin_L

Second Unit
thanks gary for this great review, I've been wondering about this dvd, I'm gonna have to be picking it up soon after reading your review :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks