What's new

Return to the Blue Lagoon is "lovely family entertainment" (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
In their lattest barrage of fullscreen only releases, Columbia TriStar announced Return to the Blue Lagoon for 11/5. The funniest thing (aside from the AR) is the quote on the back of the box:

Now, the movie is many things, but I don't really consider it "family entertainment". :b

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Of course, with this type of movie some rather sensational body parts might be visible in "full screen" but covered by the mattes on the OAR.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I wouldn't have bought this one anyway, but I resent that the bastages didn't release "Can't buy me love" in OAR.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Family movies don't have much to do with it.

Columbia is simply being lazy by not creating new transfers in 16x9 or not putting one on the disc.

It's a shame, too...Columbia is capable of excellent DVD's!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I just love how the SPECIAL FEATURES takes up a good portion of the whole back of the package, and contains 9 bullets (as if there really was anything special about this disc) which only amount to telling you absolutely nothing special.

What a shame....and its been along time since I saw this movie, but doesnt it have a bunch of nudity in it?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Link Removed much of the "toplessness" is from the 8ish-year-old version of the character, and when Milla steps into the role her hair keeps getting in the way, except on long shots.
I've never seen it, and don't intend to now, so I can't speak for myself. That link is the best thing I can give you.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
Now, the movie is many things, but I don't really consider it "family entertainment".
Obviously the people at the Toronto Sun have different opinions about what "family entertainment" is... And apperantly Columbia TriStar agrees with them...

Then again, the last time I heard a movie review from TO it was by someone who kept seeing vulva-like images in "the Fellowship of the Ring"...

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Definately not a family movie. Early on in the film they all have like the plague and have to abandon ship and the guy trys to kill the kids and what happens after that is pretty brutal for younger kids. oh and remember its milla yo - vo - vich as she said in the resident evil commentary the girl hates her name being pronounced wrong:D

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm confounded by Columbia's pan-and-scan (Foolscreen, MAR) choices. This one wouldn't seem to be a big release, and therefore those who would buy it either WANT widescreen, or will buy it anyway. Not the other way around.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've noticed a lot of full-screen releases no longer have the "this film has been modified" tag on the back either. Apparently, they think "full-screen" is sufficient.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Just out of curiousity, is this DVD pan and scan or open matte? I couldn't find that info on IMDB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks