RETURN OF THE FLY anamorphic broadcast?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GerardoHP, Jun 30, 2001.

1. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    As I write this, I am watching RETURN OF THE FLY being broadcast on AMC in anamorphic 16X9, which looks great when enhanced on my widescreen TV. Is this a mistake?
    ------------------
    Gerardo

2. Earl_K

Earl_K Auditioning

I don't know if it was a mistake, but it sure surprised me when I was flipping through the channels. My TV isn't widescreen so the image was all stretched and everyone looked like plastic man.

3. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

I was channel surfing earlier in the evening when I stumbled on ROTF in the pan an scan mode. After it ended, some comentator said it would be shown in widescreen later in the evening. Well, I have had a sleep disorder for years so when I woke up in the middle of the night, there was ROTF but it certainly was not in letterbox. Everybody was sort of pencil thin. This occurs in a moviehouse when you have a widescreen film and the projectionist fails to place the special lens in the projector to give the proper geometric widescreen view. This happened to me years ago when I saw THE EMPIRE STIKES BACK in a local theater. Since you had a 16X9 set, you were able to perform the same function electronically which is really the anamorphic mode. Because of somebody's boo-boo and your good thinking, you ended up conducting and participating in a very unusual experiment with your set. It is events like these that make hometheater interesting.