What's new

Resolution Problem Connecting PC to TV (LN52A650) (1 Viewer)

Kelly W

Second Unit
I recently purchased my first HDTV (a Samsung LN52A650) and I really like it. I have a laptop computer that I want to connect to the TV, but I'm having a problem that I am unable to solve.

The TV manual states that the optimum resolution is 1920X1080. The laptop has both VGA and HDMI outputs. Connecting through HDMI works great: the resolution is 1920X1080 and the aspect ratio is correct. However, HDMI ports are precious and I would rather connect through the PC/VGA input. The problem is that I cannot get the same results.

I can set the computer to 1920X1080 and I get the image on my TV. However, the image is squished to approximately a 4X3 ratio. The TV has two picture size options on the PC input: 4X3 and 16X9. Unfortunately, I'm getting the ~4X3 image on the 16X9 setting. Setting the TV aspect ratio to 4X3 makes the image even narrower.

Why doesn't my TV display 1920X1080 in 16X9 when the computer is connected through the PC port?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Does the manual list anything about the limits of the PC input? Some TVs limit PC input.

Now bear in mind that more HDMI inputs are just a $40 HDMI switcher away.

REgards

Kelly W

Second Unit
Michael,

Thank you for replying.

The manual doesn't say anything about limiting the input. However, I noticed that all supported resolutions are 4x3 other than 1920x1080. It also lists the resolution as 1920x1080RB. I don't know what RB means-- it that a significant detail? The resolution is also listed as "CVT" mode. Again, I don't know what that means.

The HMDI switcher solution sounds like a fine workaround. Can you recommend a decent switch for $40? I don't even mind if it's a manual switch. I've browsed Amazon, but most switches either cost quite a bit more than $40 or seem to be a bit sketchy in quality.

Thanks!!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

monoprice.com is your friend.

I have a Samsung 5084 Plasma myself ... 1080p ... and it runs 1080p from my computer VGA output without issue. Make sure that the video card does not have or has separate resolutions for hdmi and VGA.

regards

Larry King

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
Maybe because your TV maximum ration is only 4x3. So even if you set PC to 16x9, the output will be only 4x3 because that is the capacity of your TV. Cheers, Larry King, Samsung LN52A650

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks