What's new

RESIDENT EVIL Questions................MAJOR SPOILERS! (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I'm new to the series, just finished the Cube version of the first game, and loved every minute of it, but I've got a few questions:
1) The original Playstation/PC version of Resident Evil. How does it differ from the Cube reimagining? With some of the amazing graphical flourishes of the GC version, I can't imagine some of the same segments were present in the original game. I'm tempted to hunt down a copy of the PC version, because I loved it so much!
2) At the end of the game, playing through as Chris, when the Tyrant is strangling Rebecca and you shoot the rocket at him, does Rebecca die? In the ending I saw, the cut-scene didn't feature Rebecca, even though he was holding on to her as the rocket hit. How many different endings are there?
3) In the final battle with Lisa, if Wesker gets knocked off the edge, as he did during one failed attempt to beat her, how does that impact on the plot development? How do you meet the first Tyrant?
4) Why is Code: Veronica so well regarded? Practically every person I speak to says its the best of the series... why? What's the setting and plot behind this installment?
For anyone that can answer these questions, thanks!

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Wow, I answered this thread, go figure :D.
1) I wouldn't even bother Paul, the PSOne version is blocky and well recognized as having some of the most howlingly awful dialogue (in an amusing way, natch) ever recorded.
Beyond graphics inadequacies, it doesn't fit as well into the whole Resident Evil mythos quite a well, and it lacks major chunks of the backstory (such as the Trevor's and parts of the Spencer's as well). Uber-scary freak Lisa Trevor is not in the game period, ditto her cabin area.
To be honest I haven't played it in ages, but the graphics in the GC version are such a huge leap up that I can't even picture their counterparts on the PSOne.
2) It's definitely possible for people to die in the endgame battle with the Tyrant. I've only gotten the 'good' endings, but if Rebecca isn't on the chopper at the end, she's been toasted. What probably happened was the Tyrant strangling her counted as her death, then came the explosion. There are something like eight endings or so, all variations on the helicopter and who's in it and how poorly you did. Officially, as part of the Resident Evil canon, Rebecca did survive. She's listed in future game files as being still active.
3) This I'm not sure of. My strategy guide (it came with the game, darn it, I didn't need it I swear ;)) would say, but it's buried under mounds of stuff.
4) I don't know. Of all the Res Evil games, RE2 is probably my favorite, closely followed by Nemesis. But CV offered a new era of graphics, which may have something to do with it. And the end boss is something else. It also has the best storyline of any Res Evil game, unquestionably. But I had to play through it in a weekend, as I was borrowing a friend's PS2.
My advice about CV, don't spoil it for yourself. Remember, Capcom's going to release it on the Cube eventually, and it'll be well worth the playthrough. To give you the general setting though, it starts off on an island. You play as one of the characters from RE2 mostly (plus some surprise guests :p)), and that's all I'm giving up. GameFAQs and other such sites will be much happier to spoil it for you than me... :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Good discussion topic Paul!
1) I'm in a bit of disagreement with Mark. I think you should go ahead and hunt down a copy of the original (though the PC version looks horrid IMO). If you can find one for the PS1 that would do nicely. The original has its charm and If anything it will let you appreciate how far the RE series has come. Having played the GC version though you wont have the nostalgia to fall back on though. The dialogue was horrid but you'll have a hard time finding an RE fan that wont quote the "Master of Unlocking" line to you:D.
2. What Mark said. There are I think 10 endings to RE remake consisting of various combinations of people living or dying.
3. Play and find out. (sorry:D)
4. I am also very partial to Resident Evil 2 myself as it has the strongest story of all the RE games. Code Veronica however was the pinnacle of the series (even beyond the remake IMO). Though more action oriented, the full 3D graphics (instead of the pre-rendered backgrounds you may be use to) were drop dead gorgeus on the Dreamcast as well as its PS2 counterpart.
The story in the game was second only to Resident Evil 2 Even moreso with the PS2 directors cut that expanded Weskers role GREATLY. John Woo like 2 fisted weaponry with the ability to aim at different enemies at one time, really good atmosphere and the return of Claire Redfield, Chris Redfield and Albert Wesker just added up to what is my second favorite game in the series. Its really good Paul. Definitely get the rerelease on the GC when its released.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Remember, Capcom's going to release it on the Cube eventually, and it'll be well worth the playthrough
Really-does this mean that they're going through and updating all of the RE games? I tried CV once, but it was on my friend's Japanese dreamcast (so it was a little hard to understand), but wouldn't mind giving it a go.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Really-does this mean that they're going through and updating all of the RE games?
No. They are not updating any other RE titles. The original Resident Evil was the only game that was updated. Resident Evil 2, 3 and Code Veronica will be low-priced ports of the original game (19.99 is the retail price).
You can read more here:
Resident Evil 2,3 and CV ....ports
and here is the pricing confirmation:
RE pricing
No word yet on an official price for Cod Veronica (though I'd be willing to bet that Capcom will have it for the suggested 19.99 or if they want to make a few extra bucks, 29.99 since the game is still relatively considered a "next gen" port.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the responses guys. The plotting of the RE series really intrigues me. There's so many characters to keep track of and so many interactions across the games. Superb stuff!
Back to an initial question:
Play and find out.
I went back to the nearest save game and played through again, waiting this time till Wesker got knocked off the edge until I finished Lisa off. To my bitter disappointment, nothing changes!!! You still meet Wesker in the basement lab where he reveals the Tyrant to you. Very weak. There's no way he could've survived the fall, and no clear indication of how he could get back up! Really annoyed me that. It also seems clear from the way Wesker was 'killed' that he's not really dead. The fact that his death wasn't gory, and that Chris actually says "What a pathetic way to die." when you examine him, makes this seem very likely. Can anyone confirm this, without giving anything else about further plots away?
Btw, Romier, I picked up Eternal Darkness based on your recommendation, and I'm having an absolute ball! What a phenomenal game! Amazing plot, visuals and sound! I think I still prefer RE's visual even though they are pre-rendered. Also, I've only played ED for about 2 hours. I expect it will get even better as I play for longer!
Also, one final question. :D
Could someone expand on what the level design differences are between the original version and the remake of Resident Evil? i.e. which areas are the same, which are different, which are new, which bosses are new etc...
Thanks.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Could someone expand on what the level design differences are between the original version and the remake of Resident Evil? i.e. which areas are the same, which are different, which are new, which bosses are new etc...
Oh boy, where to start....
First of all, right after you exit the dining room and head to the room where you encounter your first zombie, there is a new door past the couch and the dead body (which the zombie was eating.).
This new door was not in the original game and the whole sections that followed the door were not in the original game either.(This includes the key puzzle with the knight statue coming out with the spinning blades, the green room with the mirrors, finding the arrow, the arrow tip, The room with the extremely cool lighting and the birdcage....)
In the remake there is a door leading to an outdoor area at the top of the stairs in the main room of the mansion. This door leads to the graveyard that leads to flight of stairs leading down where you'll find the "masks" puzzle and the furnaces. This whole section, including the door, the graveyard, the mask puzzle, all of it were not in the original game. (In the original game you only needed to find the Medallions (Sun, Moon so forth so on) to access your first outdoor areas and reach the Guest House/Second House).
The Cabin sequence with the introduction to Lisa was not in the original game. Nor was the character of Lisa all together. She is a completely new character and any and all sequences involving her were not in the original game (this includes the "chase" sequence in the underground tunnels and the final battle area). With this sequence being added, Capcom added a whole slew of new outdoor areas to explore. In the remake there are a total of about 3 forest/outdoor exploration sections in the game where as in the first game there is only one.
The locations of all thekeys (Sword, Shield, Helmet) are all changed along with how you acquire them. Allot of the items that you find in the game have been totally rearranged. For instance the dog whistle and the its corresponding puzzle are nowhere to be found in the original.
In the "Art Gallery" room in the mansion where the crows are perched above on the railing and you have to complete the paintings puzzle. You will open up to an outdoor area. This is not in the original game. In the original you received a Medallion here.
The Snake boss battle that occurs in the Library (where you finally kill it!) in the remake is in a completely different area in the original game. In the original game you fought the Snake for the second and last time is in the Piano room where you have to complete the "closing walls" puzzle in the remake.
There are allot more changes in the game and it would take my until I'm 30 (as a reference Im 24:)) to list them all here but those are most of the major ones.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Paul, trust me, ED does get better the further you go. The storyline is very encompassing and the best part of the game. One of the most solid stories I've enjoyed in years.
As far as the Res Evil remake question, here's a brief rundown of what I know for certain is new:
- The Crimson Head Elder (that whole four masks thing doesn't exist in the PSOne version)
- The crimson heads, period. They're the most notable addition to the GC version I think, they make things hella dangerous.
- Again, Lisa Trevor (and, ergo, the altar fight) is completely new to the series.
- The little drama in the shark tank with Neptune threatening to smash through the glass was not, I believe, in the PSOne version. Nor was his electrifying exit :D. Plant 42 and Yawn (the giant snake) were both in PSOne RE.
- Since Lisa was new, that entire section with the weather vanes and her cabin is brand spanking new. Additionally, the way you get the magnun is new. In the original you put the red gem(s?) in the tiger statue. Try that now and you get a nasty little surprise.
- A large number of files are different as well, notably those pertaining to the Spencer and Trevor families. I don't remember offhand if the Ashcrofts of Birkins are mentioned, but if so, they're new additions as well.
That's mostly what I can think of off the top of my head. Oh, wait, dog whistle's a new thing too :p)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Geeze, thanks a bunch Romier. Put up a placeholder next time you're going to do that while I write my answer ;). Kidding.
I find it interesting to note that you and I are the same age though :D

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Geeze, thanks a bunch Romier. Put up a placeholder next time you're going to do that while I write my answer
Hey you got allot of the ones I missed! I forgot about Neptune and the whole shark attack section. Its been completely redesigned for the remake. In the original this area was literally comprised of the 3 screens. In the remake its a whole section of the game!!
...and yes to be 24 is to still be quasi young, let us enjoy it:D (though I feel like I'm 40, is that a bad thing?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks