1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Request recommendations for upscaling DVD player (component video)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dan Hinson, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Dan Hinson

Dan Hinson Stunt Coordinator

Dan Hinson
    I’m looking for a DVD player that will upscale (or can be hacked to upscale) to 1080i via component video AND automatically pillarbox 4:3 material. Does such a critter exist?

I own a Mit WS65869, so HDMI or DVI is not an option.

Many thanks.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The Samsung HD-850/HD-950 are the only models that will pillarbox and can be hacked. I think both are discontinued, but you may be able to find them if you look around. Be careful, though. There is rumor that the hackability has been disabled on newer firmware versions.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have the 850. It can pillarbox but it's not automatic. Ya gotta mash the "EZ-view" button on the remote a couple or three times. It can also correct for non-anamorphic widescreen dvds and do it right, instead of having to guess like you do with the Zenith DVB-318. Mine hacked easily, 11/'05 build date.

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

True. But it is the only one that will pillarbox at all, as well as do non-anamorphic. Sorry, I forgot to state it was manual.:b

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have no problem mashing a button on the remote a few times. I have many 4/3 discs of classic older films and a few tv series sets, as well as many non-anamorphic widescreen discs. I've bought maybe 5 different players over the years in search of one that can do non-anamorphic widescreen discs properly. Two JVCs, a Panasonic, the Zenith, and now the Samsung. Of the 5 the Samsung does the best job, and since my set lacks HDMI or DVI connections it's a godsend for me.

6. Dan Hinson

Dan Hinson Stunt Coordinator

Dan Hinson
    Many thanks for the responses.

Here’s a question: If I can not confirm that a player was manufactured on or before 11/05 (I have emailed several folks on eBay, but no one seems willing or capable to come up with an answer), can I somehow “reload” the older firmware on a more recently manufactured player?