What's new

Request recommendations for upscaling DVD player (component video) (1 Viewer)

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
I’m looking for a DVD player that will upscale (or can be hacked to upscale) to 1080i via component video AND automatically pillarbox 4:3 material. Does such a critter exist?

I own a Mit WS65869, so HDMI or DVI is not an option.

Many thanks.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The Samsung HD-850/HD-950 are the only models that will pillarbox and can be hacked. I think both are discontinued, but you may be able to find them if you look around. Be careful, though. There is rumor that the hackability has been disabled on newer firmware versions.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have the 850. It can pillarbox but it's not automatic. Ya gotta mash the "EZ-view" button on the remote a couple or three times. It can also correct for non-anamorphic widescreen dvds and do it right, instead of having to guess like you do with the Zenith DVB-318. Mine hacked easily, 11/'05 build date.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

True. But it is the only one that will pillarbox at all, as well as do non-anamorphic. Sorry, I forgot to state it was manual.:b

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have no problem mashing a button on the remote a few times. I have many 4/3 discs of classic older films and a few tv series sets, as well as many non-anamorphic widescreen discs. I've bought maybe 5 different players over the years in search of one that can do non-anamorphic widescreen discs properly. Two JVCs, a Panasonic, the Zenith, and now the Samsung. Of the 5 the Samsung does the best job, and since my set lacks HDMI or DVI connections it's a godsend for me.

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
Many thanks for the responses.

Here’s a question: If I can not confirm that a player was manufactured on or before 11/05 (I have emailed several folks on eBay, but no one seems willing or capable to come up with an answer), can I somehow “reload” the older firmware on a more recently manufactured player?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks