What's new

ReplayTV removes commercial advance, 'send show' (1 Viewer)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030610/tech_replaytv_2.html

Not really any clear choice between Tivo and ReplayTV anymore, sadly. If I had the cash to buy my own pvr instead of subsisting off of my 14 hour Tivo leftovers I would surely have purchased a ReplayTV for the commercial skip. I also like their implementation of remote scheduling better. Guess D&M doesn't want to take any chances.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Not the 30 second skip, the commercial skip, whereby when the unit was recording it would figure out where the commercial breaks were and simply not show them while you watched the recording. You could turn it off to see the commercials on the recordings if you wanted.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I also have replay units, but I guess they're older, cause they don't have that kind of commercial skip, only the 30 second kind.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I saw this too and I was disapointed. I purchased a 5040 back in March and upgraded the hard drive to 200gigs. I absolutely love the commercial advance feature. I was planning on getting a second unit down the road for the bedroom, but when I heard they were scrapping this feature, I was bummed.

However, here is a thought I had. I still have my original Replay 40 gig drive that came with my 5040. Is it possible to clone a new hard drive from that drive and install it in one of those new models? Would that enable the new models to work with commercial advance?

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Assuming they're basically the same hardware, that should work. It would be interesting to see if it does.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Yeah, I was bummed that they are removing that feature too. I love it.

The other thing to consider is getting one of the 4500 or 5000 series units before they can't be bought. They are running a special right now on their factory refurbed models that include the $250 activation fee.

Click here to check it out.

Parker

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Yeah, I'm going to have to do that. I want to have at least two units. Good point about getting them before they are gone. The commercial advances feature is just something I don't want to do without.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Tom:

I hear ya. Now would be a good time to get one as you can get the model you want and save over $250 ta boot on the service activation.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks