What's new

Replacement speaker in vintage boxes (1 Viewer)

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
I have a couple of older Bose 201 speakers that I want to use for my surrounds. Cases and cloth are mint, but the 8.25" speakers each have a ~ 1" x .25" hole in the edge of the cone where a mouse nibbled them while they in storage. I put a bit of glue around the edge of each hole, laid a piece toilet paper over it and once dry I brushed a glue and water mix over the patch. They sound fine, but I've decided to eventually replace the speakers.Can someone recommend a decent 8" speaker? I don't know enough to select one that would be comparable to the originals.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Anything cheap and paper. Bose paper drivers are nothing special. And do you actually mean the cone or surrounds? If you meant surround...no, it wasn't a mouse. It is simply time.

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
Holes are in the paper cone of the larger speaker. The frame measures about 8.25" diameter..come is about 7" - which measurement do I use when ordering replacements?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Partsexpress.com gives three measurements for the drivers it sells. The outside diameter, the cutout diameter and the drivers depth all listed as "A", "B" and "C".. The cutout diameter "B" would be the one to use so you don't have to modify the cabinet. But make sure the outside diameter and the depth well also work. Home speaker drivers aren't like automotive speakers were all drivers are the same size. 4", 6", 6 X 9" etc. are all pretty much interchangable. You have to check the measurements carefully.

The ohm rating is the other thing you should match to the original and of course you should also replace the drivers in both speakers for uniformity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks