What's new

Rebuilding a set of Vintage Kenwood LS-P5000Ks (1 Viewer)

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys!

I recently picked up a set of Vintage 1986 Kenwood LS-P5000k's FOR FREE!!!! They have been sitting around for YEARS unused and look great! They come with the typical 5 speakers in a box from the 80s...lol...but the one that I hooked up sounds really nice!

Problem is, the 8" driver on the 2nd one fell apart and I need to pick up a set of replacement subs. I took the one sub out and it measured 5.1ohm on my multimeter. Pretty sure this is a 6ohm driver. The 12"s on the bottom are passive radiators which appear to be in great shape.

One thought was to take out the radiators, replace them with 12" woofers and place a port un the 8" hole on some black painted MDF. To much work im thinkin. I think it would be much easier to just plop in a set of 8" Dayton and call it a day.

I was looking around for 6ohm alternatives and really couldn't find any. The 4ohm Dayton 8" Quatro's are on sale at parts express...do you think they would work well here? These are gonna be mainly secondary music boxes for now.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-545

Or do you think I would be better off running this with some 6ohm Audax HP210G0 8"s?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=296-136

Any other driver recommendations? My budget is around 100-150 for the set of 8's.

NOT BAD FOR FREE EH!!!!

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Yee-haa! I remember those!! They are badass. :D That was back in the day when "the more drivers you could cram into a single box, the better" ruled. I had a similar looking set of Pioneer speakers on top my shelving units way back when. :b

Quite honestly, I would not spend a lot of money nor time on these. Get the 4-ohm subs and call it a day. You'll be fine. Now, get some Flock of Seagulls and crank it up!

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
true true...definitly not somthing I want to spend a lot of anything on. Hell...maybe just get the 8ohm dayon 1s for 20 a pop.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If all that happened is that the surrounds (foam I take it) rotted away, you can get replacement ones and rebuild them. It's not hard. Your thoughts such as arbitrarily replacing the existing drivers with others is not a good idea whatsoever. All drivers have what's known as Thiel Small parameters that characterize their behavior. Further one cannot just drill a port and expect good things to happen. If your serious about keeping the speakers then either rebuild the surrounds if that's the problem, or contact PartsExpress with whatever information you can provide about the drivers that are in there and perhaps they'll have one that closely matches it. In the latter case, your speaker will not sound the same as it once did unless you can get a direct replacement (unlikely). It's a much more complicated matter than you realize in putting speakers together.

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
yeh...I realize that just dropping in a set of whatever isnt going to give me the best results, on the other hand I'm not looking for $1000 speaker quality here. Lol...where would I get a factory replacement speaker for a 1986 Kenwood box like this!! HAHAHAHAH!!!

I ended up going with the Audax 6ohm drivers...a little cheaper and will do just fine in there. IDK how they will react with the PR in there...I'm sure it will be a-ok compared to whats in there now and what i'm looking for outta these :)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
John,

Chu IS right...but in my respectful opinion, he's missing the point here.

You just want the things to make noise. You're not looking for $25K Martin-Logan accuracy here. :D

True, the TS parameter will be off, so will the tuning w/the passive radiator. Who caree? They'll go "boom squeak boom!" and everyone will rejoice.

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
yeep...exactly...

hole fillers that will sound somewhat decent. Obviously I already have a set of decent boxes up front there :)

MaccaAu

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
Hi John,
What happened your kenwood 8" woofers. A friend runs a speaker repair place and he fixed up my energy speakers with 8" kenwood woofers, which I later found out searching the model came from a LS=P5000. There model was T10-0321-03, they also had their foams replaced.great speaker they are. Are you sure yours is past repair

I am not sure about replacments,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks