What's new

Remastered CDs (1 Viewer)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Thanks for the info on Rumours. Mine is a very early CD, back when Warner Brothers had their CD's manufactured by Polygram in West Germany - the full coating of aluminum all the way to the center hole, the weird silver and red "target-like" design on the label side of the disc (WB used different color combinations for all their various subsidiaries at that time - Sire was yellow and blue), and all.

I guess it's time to upgrade.

Joel

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
More Universal Deluxe Editions from pauseandplay.com:

Bob Marley & The Wailers - "Rastaman Vibration" (Nov. 5)

Sonic Youth - "Dirty" (Sept. 10)

Styx - "The Grand Illusion" (Oct. 8)

Plus, "My Generation" is again listed, now with a date of August 20.

Ryan

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Doesn't remastering Sonic Youth seem kinda pointless? I mean, what it they remove some noise and distortion on the original CD which originally made you think they were so damn brilliant?

Martin.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Dan can you post some links to where you got the re-recording info on the 2 Ozzy cd's? I can't find any info on the rerecordings inside the cd either. And I have had no luck finding any info online either. Thanks in advance.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Thanks Jim , the customer reviews are very helpful. I appear to have been lucky. I have the first remasters that appeared in '95 which feature the original drum and bass parts. I guess its the subsequent albums where they did this. What a relief. What kind of a horrible idea was that anyway?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
What was done with the Ozzy Osbourne remastered CDs is terribly disturbing. To think that I was considering the purchase of the remastered version of Blizzard of Ozz. Not anymore. I'll stick with the original CD.
Yeah, get the 95 remaster. The entire Ozzy catalog was remastered in 95 using Sony's then state-of-the-art remastering process. I don't know why they felt the catalog needed remastering again as the 95 versions sound awesome.

Anyone know if the Eagles catalog has been remastered? Amazon doesn't indicate that it is.

Jeff

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Greg:

If you have the time, I'd like to hear your opinions on the Hendrix and Death Row releases. I bought the "Are You Experienced" re-release, but I haven't spent much time yet on a comparison. I have noticed it's different, but I don't know about better, yet. I've gotten the impression that most people don't care for the Alan Douglas versions, but I haven't ever found any concrete reasons why. As far as the Death Row re-releases, I keep being tempted but then I think that they can't be much different given the age.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Remasters can be really hot and cold, and you really need to do your research before investing in them. More and more these days it seems like every new edition should have "REMASTERED TO ELIMINATE ALL DYNAMIC RANGE" stamped on every surface.

But there are exceptions. The 1980s King Crimson remasters from earlier this year are vastly superior to their predecessors, and I understand the Elvis Costello remasters are much better than the old CDs. But the Who discs appear to be very mixed, with everyone happy about the bonus tracks but disappointed in the mix (particularly Who's Next.) I am a bit suspicious of a special edition that quadruples the length of Live at Leeds, which was, in its original form, arguably the best live rock album ever. As for Quadrophenia, you can take my gold CDs from me when you can pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I'm REALLY excited about Joe Jackson's masterpiece Night and Day having a new release, though. I've been listening to my MD of an LP for years while trying to locate the gold CD. Granted, the LP sounds good, but still...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm REALLY excited about Joe Jackson's masterpiece Night and Day having a new release, though. I've been listening to my MD of an LP for years while trying to locate the gold CD. Granted, the LP sounds good, but still...
Ange, I have that MSFL Gold CD. But your record is signed by Joe so I can understand why you'd be hesitant to play it a lot. :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I think the Rush and Led Zeppelin remasters sound awesome!
I haven't "re-purchased" the Van Halen. I am real curious to see how they sound. Especially "Fair Warning", which to me is their best, but IMO is the worst mastering/mixing job I have heard on any of their releases.
I read that Sonic Youth will be re-issuing a bunch of re-mastered CDs.
I can believe it! Their is no way I am replacing my SY collection. I mean I have everything they have ever done. I'll probably get Daydream Nation, just to hear how they sound, but that's it, thats all I am buying...yeah right:)
Bless

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Then there are those Michael Jackson re-releases with new covers and bonus tracks selling for more than a regular release (as far as i've seen). I'm not willing to re-buy those.

On the other hand, I've 'discovered' for myself ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) and have recently gotten hooked on everything they've done. In this case, the remastered CDs are my first purchases of music released by this band.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I was wondering when someone was going to mention the Rush remasters. I've heard that it is only noticable with the 70s titles. Any comments?

How about the million different Iron Madien versions that are out there? I know the most recent was supposed to be a remaster, but what about the two disc sets that Castle used to put out?

Jason

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I've found the Yes remasters to be worth the re-purchase. In particular, Fragile sounds really really nice remastered.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I was surprised to find that the Blues Brothers live albums (and first Greatest Hits album) were recently remastered. The film soundtrack had been available for years, but it was great to hear these other originals cleaned up. They are available in Canada as imports only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks