What's new

Relatives are coming soon, what to use as a demo disc? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Okay, a little bit of my family is coming soon and I would like to show off my system to them because they haven't seen it yet. I need some help thinking of a demo disc withink my 27 DVDs that I own. Possible ideas I had were a few scenes in Fight Club, the D Day scene in SPR DD5.1, and maybe some stuff in Face/Off. I'll be buying Swordfish this weekend before they arrive,Does that have some good sounding stuff on it to show off? What should I use to show off my system? BTW I'm thinking primarily for Audio and not as much for video but I would not mind showing off my video a little too. Thanks.
------------------
-Keith-
My DVD's

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Shrek!
Ultimate Demo material! (except for surround sound)
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Yeah,
There is a pretty good sounding explosion scene in Swordfish. The car chase scene is also a good surround sound treat.
I'd also recommend Star Wars TPM (podrace and lightsaber duels), and Final Fantasy TSW as good (recently released) sound demo material.
------------------
"You advance yourself only by my good graces."

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
I usually use the first few minutes of Toy Story 2. Cool Stuff!
JKS
------------------
My one goal in life is to live forever.
Ya know what? . . . So far, So good! Yeah!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I was thinking of Star Wars TPM also for sound. Shrek sure looks great for video though. How about something like Vertical Limit or Men In Black?
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

AaronJB

Second Unit
My favorite Demo disc remains U-571.
Also, there's a trailer for "Lost World: Jurassic Park" on the Widescreen Review DTS trailer disc that's pretty amazing.

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
The crash sequence of Pitch Black (DTS) is cool.
My favorite the the Who Live at the Royal Alber Hall, you switch it stero and say this how you would hear it, then switch it to DTS and say this is how it should sound!
Another good one is X-men, where Logan is in the mantion and Charles X is talking to him in his mind, it bounces around every sound channel.
And of course the Video Game sequence of Toy Story 2.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I recommend the entire toy escape to rocket sequence from Toy Story 1 and the T-Rex break out from Jurassic Park. Most people will check to see if it is raining outside and the sub gets a workout.
These are a little more friendly demo scenes than the usual Heat armored car robbery and bank job scenes.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
It depends. I wouldn't use SPR or Swordfish if children will be present. They have scenes that are too violent and risque for the young ones IMO. However, Spy Kids, X-Men, Toy Story 2, Titan A.E., Final Fantasy, Remember The Titans and The Matrix make for good family viewing.
For the adults I would go with Blade, Hollow Man, Men Of Honor, Sleepy Hollow, Gladiator, Swordfish, Exit Wounds or Saving Private Ryan.
You could use DTS demo disc 4 if you can get your hands on it.
[Edited last by Reginald Trent on November 01, 2001 at 08:29 PM]

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
I have and enjoy all those animated disks, but I think that since they are so abstract, they don't really bring home the difference between DVD and VHS.
I always use the Fifth Element - which I hear is even better in the new Superbit pressing - starting with the scene where they recreate her from the found fragment -which is just fabulous visually - for example, the clarity of the glass enclosure with its reflections is obviously not possible on VHS; and then continuing through the "ledge" scene with the air taxis wizzing by, which is a great use of the surround system, as you can pick out the location of things behind you, rather than the vague "not-front" aspect of mono matrix surround. Then, once again, inside Willis' taxi, the plexiglass between her and Willis has dirt and clouding that makes it very lifelike in a way that only DVD can portray.
PS quote: ... The Matrix make for good family viewing.[/quote]
You must live in a different universe than I do!
[Edited last by Ken Stuart on November 01, 2001 at 10:32 PM]

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Shrek! Ultimate Demo material! (except for surround sound)
How in the world can something be "Ultimate Demo material" if the surround sound is no good?
Seems to be a complete contradiction to me!
I still use Titan A.E. as a great Demo Disc (The Icefields).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote: My favorite the the Who Live at the Royal Alber Hall, you switch it stero and say this how you would hear it, then switch it to DTS and say this is how it should sound! [/quote]The stereo mix on this disc is several decibels lower in average level than either the DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1, so unless you adjust for this and your amplifier is not straining to do so, it is a cheat of a comparison.
As for gee-whiz audio recommendations, as obvious as it sounds, I would go with The Phantom Menace.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on November 01, 2001 at 11:52 PM]

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
My favorites are:
1. The Thin Red Line
2. U-571
3. Star Wars: TPM
4. Toy Story 2 (opening Buzz scene)
5. The Matrix

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
You have got to let them listen to the airplane crash scene from Cast Away. I can honestly say I have never seen my sub move so much air!! Yowza!!
------------------
God bless!
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection

JamesCS

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if your primarily interested in audio, pick up Roy Orbison's Black and White Night. This will really amaze your relatives.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I prefer scenes from Toy Story II, A Bug's Life, or similar film (since it's appropriate for all ages). Fantasia 2k is my current favorite...
Greg

Stefan A

Second Unit
I find it fairly amusing that you specifically asked for demo material from your collection and yet most of the responses contain movies that are not part of your collection.
I have found that when demo'ing material to family members who may or may not be interested in the total surround sound theater experience that it is important to pick a movie that they will like and at the same time show off your system.
For example, even though SPR opening scene is a classic demo scene, if your family is the type that just doesn't want to watch a graphic war scene, they will probably sit there waiting for it to end. Of course, if they like that kind of thing, definitely use SPR.
If your family is a bit more laid back, put in Superman. The movie is an all time favorite and the new 5.1 treatment has some nice moments.
With that said, I do have to concur that if you go out and spring for The Phantom Menace, it doesn't get too much better than that pod race.
------------------
Stefan Antwarg
My DVD Collection
The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks