What's new

Relatives are coming soon, what to use as a demo disc? (1 Viewer)

Brian O

Second Unit
Phantom Menace Pod race no doubt.
I like the Ben Hur Chariot race too, though being older its sound is not as impressive as newer movies. But, watching it for the first time in OAR with Surround sound was one of my top HT experiences to date.
Most people have never seen Ben Hur in its OAR even though they have seen it many times on TV. So that first time really hits you.
------------------

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Fairly amusing? This is hilarious! The guy asked which one of HIS DVD's he could play and he gets all these suggestions of stuff he doesn't have! Just goes to show you how much attention people actually pay when they read something.
As for me, just play the opening battle of "Gladiator" in DTS and be done with it!
wink.gif

------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Keith,
After looking at your list of DVDs, I would go with Fight Club (Plane sequence and the car crash), Gladiator (Begining and the 1st fight in Rome), Cast Away (Plane Crash), Swordfish (Begining Sequence), Face/Off (Begining Sequence, the penthouse shootout, and the boat chase), and finally Forrest Gump (Vietnam sequence).
I don't use Saving Private Ryan for a demo, unless we will watch the whole film. If I do demo the film though, I show the final battle sequence. It just seems wrong to show the D-day attack for "demo" purposes.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
If you have or know someone that has the free Kenwod DVD, then use the 2 THX demos and the multi channel music demos.
------------------
Mongo like HTF

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I hope your relatives like Widescreen. Otherwise you'll have a lot of explaining to do. :)
Jeff

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Some other good ones:
Terminator 2 UE, the first few minutes from the THX intro up to the opeing credits.
Twister: Again the first few minutes up to the end of the GOES satellite flyby. Also any scene with a twister is also good.
------------------
Link Removed

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
VicRuiz wrote:
quote: I find it fairly amusing that you specifically asked for demo material from your collection and yet most of the responses contain movies that are not part of your collection.[/quote]
Fairly amusing? This is hilarious! The guy asked which one of HIS DVD's he could play and he gets all these suggestions of stuff he doesn't have! Just goes to show you how much attention people actually pay when they read something.
As for me, just play the opening battle of "Gladiator" in DTS and be done with it!
wink.gif

-------------------------
Vic we read his post. However, he should have made it clear in the body of the post that we could find the listing of his titles under "MY DVDs"

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Surely the relatives must have come by now. What did you use to "wow" them?
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Yes, Gladiator in DTS is an excellant demo for home theater and DVD. Not only does the sound rock, but the picture is amazing. If there were a disc I'd reccomend showing for picture, it would be Shrek (I've never seen DVD look so, well, perfect). For big sound, I'd reccomend Titanic. For "amazingly clear sound that isn't from some big action movie but is just plain good use of sound" would be the DTS track of American Beauty. Speaking of which, American Beauty is a great demo for picture too. And sorry, I didn't look at your DVD list but if you don't have the discs I mentioned, GET THEM! Adieu.
Aaron Garman

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well I don't know if Die Hard is good or not, but show them the widescreen verus full screen extra for good measure. We need more convents(don't have the DVD by the way).
------------------
rirsesignture.gif

Harry W

Stunt Coordinator
Ijust show um the full screen version of Gargoyles in mono and they don't stay so long.I save the good stuff for the FAVORITE relatives.
biggrin.gif

------------------
HEW,JR

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks