Recording HD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by CarlosGH, Sep 5, 2004.

1. CarlosGH

CarlosGH Stunt Coordinator

I recently was at a cross roads when it came to recording DirecTV HD. I saw a D-VHS VCR at Best Buy for $80 (some Mitsu model, can't remember the model number) and a JVC 3000HMD (hope I got the number right) for about $300. But the DirecTV HD reciever doesn't have firewire out. Is there a way to convert component/DVI and optical to firewire?

I saw this JVC W-VHS player on ebay, but it cost nearly 2 grand and I think it has only Japanese text. Is W-VHS better and D-VHS? Is there an American W-VHS? I know that the W-VHS has component in, but $2000 is alot of money.

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

W-VHS is the old Japanese ANALOG High Definition VCR. It was never released in the U.S. But I thought for sure that D-Theatre DVHS decks had componment in, not just IEEE 1397. [​IMG]

3. CarlosGH

CarlosGH Stunt Coordinator

Well it has component out, the JVC unit, but it only has S-Video and composite video in. As well as firewire, but not component in.

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Since as far as I know NONE of those inputs supports HD [I am not sure about the FireWire, but I have not heard of HD signals passed over this connection] unless it has antenna in and ATSC tuner it can scarcely record HD at all, and even then only from an OTA source, making it marginally useful. I think there may be such a thing as a non-HD DVHS deck but I sure wouldn't buy one. Seriously, that makes very little sense. Over in "Hardware -- Sale or Trade" there is always somebody trying to buy or sell a DVHS deck, you could ask one of them.

5. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

The D-VHS units support HD recording Via 1394 Firewire.
    If you have a supporting stb box like the Samsung SIR t165,
    these will record directly to the D-VHS units.
    Or even a 169 or other modified stb with firewire, dish-net also had a few boxes. There are a few old ota only panny tuners as well.
    You could also try CapDVHS software and record via an XP box with an internal HD interface card. I use the CapDVHS with my t165 stb's and record ota HD to my hardrives.
    Search out AVS for further info.
    For $80 is not a bad deal on the Mit's although I believe that unit was not all that good.
    Again avs is one place to check.