What's new
World Wide Stereo

Recording HD (1 Viewer)

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
I recently was at a cross roads when it came to recording DirecTV HD. I saw a D-VHS VCR at Best Buy for $80 (some Mitsu model, can't remember the model number) and a JVC 3000HMD (hope I got the number right) for about $300. But the DirecTV HD reciever doesn't have firewire out. Is there a way to convert component/DVI and optical to firewire?

I saw this JVC W-VHS player on ebay, but it cost nearly 2 grand and I think it has only Japanese text. Is W-VHS better and D-VHS? Is there an American W-VHS? I know that the W-VHS has component in, but $2000 is alot of money.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
W-VHS is the old Japanese ANALOG High Definition VCR. It was never released in the U.S. But I thought for sure that D-Theatre DVHS decks had componment in, not just IEEE 1397. :confused:

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
Well it has component out, the JVC unit, but it only has S-Video and composite video in. As well as firewire, but not component in.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Since as far as I know NONE of those inputs supports HD [I am not sure about the FireWire, but I have not heard of HD signals passed over this connection] unless it has antenna in and ATSC tuner it can scarcely record HD at all, and even then only from an OTA source, making it marginally useful. I think there may be such a thing as a non-HD DVHS deck but I sure wouldn't buy one. Seriously, that makes very little sense. Over in "Hardware -- Sale or Trade" there is always somebody trying to buy or sell a DVHS deck, you could ask one of them.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
The D-VHS units support HD recording Via 1394 Firewire.
If you have a supporting stb box like the Samsung SIR t165,
these will record directly to the D-VHS units.
Or even a 169 or other modified stb with firewire, dish-net also had a few boxes. There are a few old ota only panny tuners as well.
You could also try CapDVHS software and record via an XP box with an internal HD interface card. I use the CapDVHS with my t165 stb's and record ota HD to my hardrives.
Search out AVS for further info.
For $80 is not a bad deal on the Mit's although I believe that unit was not all that good.
Again avs is one place to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks