What's new

Recommended CD-R Brand? (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
I've been searching through past posts and couldn't really find what I was looking for even though I *know* it's been brought up...
I've been using some Sony CD-Rs with my burner, and it makes audio CDs that only play in some CD players.
I really want to know of another brand of CD-Rs that any of you have had success with in making audio CDs.
I've been using the Sony (CDQ-74CN) 74 Min version which have a green back...these haven't worked well for playing audio in all CD players.....any recommendations?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I recently bought a 100-disc spindle pack of Memorex 80-minute CD-Rs, and they are working great on all my CD players (mostly Sony, but some other brands too). They have a green recording layer. These CD-Rs are for computer burners, and the 100-disc pack was $50 at Staples. I've also used TDK and Maxell CD-Rs for computer and hi-fi component burners with great results.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If you can find some Memorex CD-Rs for 12x speed burners, those work the best on the most CD players. The new ones for up to 16x burners seem to have some compatibility problems, though.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Thanks for the recommendations....if anyone else has any input as well, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again.

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite brand for the price would have to be the 50 pack spindle of Fuji-film (80mins). These 50 packs go on sale at various stores about once a month for $15, and usually come with another $5 mail in rebate.
These are made by Taiyo Yuden Company in Japan... who are well known for putting out very high quality blank media.
Here's a good website for ya, enjoy...
http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd.shtml

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Mike--CD-Recordable.com is a good place to get CD-R's. Cheap and very good quality. I get the "TrueSilver" CD-R's they sell, which are great. They look just like store bought CD's, with the silver data side, not green or blue. They currently have them on sale 100 for $31 plus s/h. Although I think they are currently out of stock, but should have them back in stock soon.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Mike, some CD players just won't play CDRs, AFAIK. I don't believe they are every 100% guaranteed. And it's nothing to do with age - cheaper systems are sometimes better than expensive ones too. It's foolish.

What I have found is that my computer burner is quirky. If I burn a 'disc at once' disc with no track gaps there is far less chance of it playing compared to one burned with the standard gaps.

My personal fave discs at the moment are black CDRs (like PS ones). I've found Samsung are unreliable these days. TDK are almost always fine, but Verbatim are very good in my book. They seem to be some of the best quality CDRs I've had.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
I've also had great luck using the Fuji cd-r's, though Sony's may be made by Taiyo Yuden as well, so you may get the same kinds of problems. Another high quality media brand is Mitsui, I used http://www.cascade-media.net/ when I used those. But the Fuji cdr's are a ton cheaper and available locally.
I did have some problems with cd's I burned for a friend of mine, he couldn't play them reliably in his truck. Turns out that 80min cdr's, burned at 8x (as fast as my computer will burn them) wouldn't do very well in his vehicle. But if I burned at 4x, things worked just fine for him. Weird.
Andrej

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
From all the reading I have done, I have learned that Japanese made CD-Rs use a higher quality dye, which means that they last longer than most other CD-Rs. I haven't experienced it personally, but I've heard of people who had burned with cheaper CD-Rs, and have eventually lost the data that was on it because the dye faded.

I personally use Fujis for all my audio needs. I've also heard that Kodaks are pretty good. I think HP also has good CD-Rs.

Jason

TheoGB

Screenwriter
The dye shouldn't fade that quickly. Your mate either got defective CDRs or left them out in the sunlight, which will destroy them.
There are different types of dye but the length of time is about 100 years as oppose to 50 years. 50 years in computers??? I think you'll have backed that data up again into a new medium. ;)
FWIW, I consider the 'shorter'-lasting AZO dye to be better.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I know most people will dismiss what I have to say, but from my personal experience, I also had problems making music CDs from standard CD-Rs with green backs. I use an APS 8X CD-R CD-ROM burner.

I have an old Kenwood 6 CD player, with the magazine. It would skip on CDs recorded even at 2X.

So I decided to try Music CD-Rs, the kind that are recommended for Music CD-Copying machines instead of computers. I keep hearing they are no difference, other than you have to pay some music copyright in the cost.

Well, I still have to burn at 2X, but to my surprise, the discs no longer skip when playing through that old Kenwood player.

I found them at Costco in 30-packs slim cases for $24.00

Ed E Lee

Agent
Like a few of the other people here, I pretty much use the Fuji 80 min Taiyo Yuden made cdr's. I haven't had any problem with them.

What I have problems with now are the Memorex 74 min cdr's that I burned little over a year ago. Those are starting to fail on me now, and I'm racing to copy the ones I've had with Fuji's. Just because they work for you now, doesn't necessarily mean they'll work for you 5 or even 2 years down the line. Hopefully the Fuji's do.

Bergan Peters

Stunt Coordinator
Im just putting forth a vote for Taiyo Yuden CDRs. They are bar none the best, this is readily known in the CDR world.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone tried the Staples brand CD-Rs for computer burners? As I said earlier in this thread, I have been using Memorex 80-minute CD-Rs lately, and although they are great, they are pricey. A 100-disc spindle pack of the Memorex CD-Rs is $50 at Staples or CompUSA. However, a 100-disc pack of the Staples CD-Rs is only $40. What's more, a 50-disc pack is only $20, so you don't pay more per disc for the smaller pack. The Staples discs have a green data layer. Are they any good? By the way, they are rated for up to 24x write speed.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Guys, try the CD-Recordable.com CDR's. Made in the good ole USA. $31 for 100. Silver data side, plain top surface, great for applying Neato type labels to. Order $100 or more and get free shipping. They even have purple CDR's $49/100 or black CDR's for $59/100. But they are still out of stock on the $31/100 true silver discs. Damn...hope they get them back in stock soon 'cause I need to order some more.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brian, with the CD-Recordable.com CD-Rs, can you write on the top surface? I'm not sure what you mean when you say the surface is 'plain'. They must give you space to write.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks