What's new

Recommendations of Porcupine Tree or similar (1 Viewer)

Wilson W

Agent
I saw the mentioning of porcupine tree at the other thread and maybe I can get some recommendations here.

I found out about PT through reviews and perchased "stupid dream" and "signify". There are some moments in each one that I enjoy but as a whole it was not as good as I expected.

Perhaps I didn't buy the right PT CDs?

What I like along the same line as PT: I always thought Pink Floyd (Waters era) had achieved the "prog rock" style most perfectly, also like the fish area Marillion, some King Crimson.

Other music: 70s Bowie, bauhaus, siouxue, this mortal coil, dead can dance, coil, marc almond, belle & sebastian, mercury rev, nick cave, suede, pulp...

So, with this info, did I buy the "right" PT albums, if not which one should I try? and what other new bands and CDs I may enjoy?

Thanks for your input.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
"Stupid Dream" is a pretty good one. The band begins to jell on that one.

Next try "Lightbulb Sun" which followed "Stupid Dream" or get the newest one which is "In Abstentia"...Tower Records has it for $8.99 this week.

"In Abstentia" has a more hard rock feel to it almost like a Nine Inch Nails vibe. It is very modern sounding...it would fit in what Radio calls "Nu-Metal".

I love PT and I just saw them in concert 2 nights ago here in NYC. They put on a great show.

I'm going to see them open for Yes next week in NJ.
It will great to see them on a large stage for the first time.

It looks like PT may break big pretty soon. Once their new video gets played a few times on MTV2 ("Strip The Soul") I would bet many people will begin to check out this great British band.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Then absolutely positively track down The Sky Moves Sideways. Released before Signify. I can't imagine you not liking it given your comments...Um, no refunds though.
You might also want to try Up The Downstair. Very Floydian enriched with Ozric Tentacles goodness...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
If you are looking for more of the Floydish stuff, I recommend going back farther and picking up "The Sky Moves Sideways". "Stupid Dream" gives you an idea of what the band sounds like from that point onward, a little more popish/Radioheadish. Pretty good albums, but different.

Also, "Voyage 34: The Complete Trip" might be worth picking up. Basically, it is a long instrumental jam with samples. I still think it is the coolest piece of music they've done.

Jason

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
If you like early Marillion than you should check out Arena. They are a band started by original Marillion drummer Mick Pointer. "Songs From The Lions Cage" and "Immortal?" are both outstanding, IMO.

Also I love the band IQ. They started around the same time as Marillion. "Ever", "The Wake", "The Seventh House" and especially "Subterranea" are must haves for any true prog-fan.

Wilson W

Agent
thanks guys for the comments. it seems I should give the sky moves sideways a try.

as for the new stuff, I listened to "strip the soul" on PT's website, is the rest of the new CD in similar style?
while I have nothing against pop stuff (from my original post I listed quite a few as my favourites), it's just a lot of PT's pop-oriented songs are a bit grounded. I like them with a little more edge you might say.

another reason I started listening to PT is Richard Barbieri, I am a huge Japan fan. too bad there's nothing on the scene that has Japan's style, hell, even the ex-japan members can't re-create that sound anymore.

A question for Peter, does Arena and IQ sound like the Fish era or post-Fish era Marillion?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I also think Stupid Dream is erratic, which is why I haven't taken to them as much as others. Until yesterday, it was the only album of theirs I had. I dig their new one a lot more, though.

I will be seeing them tomorrow night.

Other bands: Radiohead, of course
Anekdoten and Anglagard are two Swedish bands. I don't know if the latter is around anymore. Anekdoten started out being very influenced by the Lark's Tongue era of Crimson, but gelled into their own groove. Any of their albums are excellent

If you're in the mood for something more melodic, check out the Flower Kings.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I saw PT at the Irving Plaza in downtown NYC the other night.
They put on a smokin' show! I was standing right at the stage with Steve Wilson right in front of me. He can certainly play guitar. Amazing!

The new cd "In Abstentia" sounds great performed live on stage.
I hope this will finally be there breahthrough album. They deserve to be heard by more people than just their fervent fan base.

The encore "Strip Your Soul" was a sonic highlight. Check out the new cd ($8.99 at Tower) if you can!

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Wilson,
Yes, Arena do sound like Fish era Marillion, A bit heavier though. The first album (Lions Cage) is, I think outstanding.
IQ to me sound a lot like early Genesis. The vocals may take some time to get used to. They are by far my favorite current prog band. Check out this site for more info about them: http://www.gep.co.uk/

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Just saw Porcupine Tree last night. Good show. I only had two of their albums, the new one and Stupid Dream before that, but I picked up two more at the show as well as the fancy re-release of Opeth's Blackwater Park, which Steve Wilson produced (extremely highly recommended).

They did a double encore, which included singing happy birthday to Wilson and presenting him with a cake. The second tune one was some instrumental thing- very cool.

They had some outrageous opening act that was a trio- drums, Percy Jones (Brand X) on bass, and some xylophone-synthesizer dealy.

NP: The Band, The Band

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Those Yes fans are in for a treat.
Wilson introduced "Hate Song" by claiming that Yes fans were jarred by it because they are more "spiritually and cosmologically minded." :laugh:
PT then Yes should be a great show. Of course, I have no idea who's in Yes anymore. :)
NP: Porcupine Tree, Signify

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Actually I believe even Rick Wakeman is back this time so its pretty much the classic Yes line-up.

Close To The Edge should sound pretty good.

I'll have to pick up Opeth's Blackwater Park at the Show on your recommendation. Steve Wilson admired an audience memeber last week who was wearing an Opeth T-Shirt in the front stage area.
Hope you got a cool PT t-shirt yourself.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hope you got a cool PT t-shirt yourself.
I wanted to, but I already was spending too much on the CDs.

About Opeth: most of the vocals are death metal growling style, which turns a lot of folks off. But if you like that or don't mind it, then you will definitely enjoy Opeth. Also, the vocals do vary- the same singer does both he growling and the regular singing. Steve Wilson himself sings on the second track.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Wilson, don't give up on PT until you hear "Lightbulb Sun" - it's more mainstream but I enjoyed it immensely. If you do not like that one, then either PT is not for you, or you prefer the early Floydian stylings. In that case, get "Voyage 34" and see if you like their spacey stuff.

Enjoy!

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Just saw Porcupine Tree last night at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC) in downtown Newark NJ.

They opened for YES and the night was a musical sucess!

Both bands sounded awesome and everyone who attended was astounded not only with the bands but the beautiful Music Hall they have built in NJ. If you live in the Metro area, do yourself a favor and attend a concert here.

PT played a few selections from their new cd "In Abstentia" and from the previous "Lightbulb Sun".
Gravity Eyelids was a highlight as was Hate Song.
The band looks great with the video presentation and cool lighting effects.
Many PT fans were in attendance and in fact I met a couple from New Zealand who were their to see PT.

YES just rocked! Opening with Siberian Khatru they smoked and sounded great. Rick Wakeman played the keyboards and blew us away with his sound effects during Close To The Edge.
Some other highlights were songs like Don't Kill The Whale, On The Silent Wings Of Freedom, Heart Of The Sunrise, Southside, Starship Trooper and many others.
Boy can that Chris Squire rock, he was having a ball on stage...I never knew he was that animated.

Everyone mentioned that the band sounds as good today as when we saw them in the 70's. That is an amazing fact that they could keep up that level of preformance all these years later.
Don't miss them if they come to your town.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
It would be hard to top the Relayer tour with Patrick Moraz. I won't ever forget that show.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Reviving this thread from the dead. I just picked up the newest Porcupine Tree album last weekend. Total blind purchase, which I don't do often with music. From the recommendations here and at a metal web board, I figured I'd probably dig it.

After a few spins it's REALLY starting to grow on me. The first track is my favorite and is one of the better songs I've heard in a long time. Was hoping the whole album would be similiar, but regardless this was a steal at $10.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Leif,

I especially love the first 5 songs on the cd. Song 5 "Gravity Eyelids" is a favorite of mine. I saw them perform that song twice this year and that song really rocks in concert.

If you like the first song then you should love the song "Strip The Soul" which was actually their first single from the cd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks