Recommendations for properly mixed SACD and DVD-A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron_N, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Ron_N

Ron_N Extra

I need 10 of each of the best SACDs and DVD-As, that you all know of, that were done with a realistic approach. By that I mean ones that were recorded with the music in the front and ambience in the background, and not the ones where the keyboards, guitar, or drums are coming from behind you. I'm looking for something in the New Age, Jazz, and Classical categories.

This is to be my startup collection. Thanks for your help.

Ron

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Ron,

When a recording has no objective reality, ie it is a multi-tracked, mixed down to any number of delivered channels, who is to say what is "properly mixed"?

Sure you have your preference, but by using the terminology "properly mixed" you are saying anything not recorded to your preferences is "properly mixed", which is not the case.

As for ambient use of surrounds:
    SACD:
    Bob Mintzer Big Band "Homage to Count Basie" on DMP Records
    Bucky Pizzarelli "Swing Live" on Chesky Records

DVD-A:
    Bucky Pizzarelli "Swing Live on Chesky Records
    Don't know the same level of specifics, but it is Harnoncourt conducting the works of Johann Strauss on Teldec.

Regards,

3. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Good point John. Now Ron, try this website for discs that are mixed the way you prefer.[​IMG]
    www.aixrecords.com
    The DVD-A selection is generally mixed from the audience perspective. Most of the discs also contain a dts "stage" mix.
    Sometimes when I have relaxed a bit too long listening to classical and jazz, I put on the Metallica DVD-A, which has a very aggressive "improper" mix, and crank it up til the pictures rattle. That gets the adreniline going when I need to clean house or mow the lawn.[​IMG]

4. Ron_N

Ron_N Extra

Mr. Kotches said

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Much to my dismay, the new Queensryche: Empire disc is mixed in a way that you would like. I would have preferred a more unconventional mix myself.

NP: George Gershwin: "Concerto in F"

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I do believe that Kind of Blue SACD is perfect for what you're saying: trumpet in the center channel, some hi-hat and "ambience" in the rears, piano and sax focused on the mains.

NP: Joe Satriani, Stange Beautiful Music

7. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I agree, Kind of Blue is great, you can practically hear the saliva in the sax.

8. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

I don't think I'll ever understand this penchant to have to hear all the music "in front of you". It's a shame you have to miss out on discs like Queen: A Night At The Opera which is one of the coolest mixes and best sounding DVD-A's to be released. If you think about audio in terms of 'non-visual' then the sounds can come from anywhere. Or do what was previously mentioned and check out AIX Records. In particular, the Nitty Gritty Surround disc. All the musicians are performing in a circle. Now imagine yourself in the center of that circle and that's what you end up with. It's actually pretty cool.

9. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

David,

Mark used the same approach in recording Zephyr, a 14 person a capella choir.

Regards,

10. DEAN DE FURIA

DEAN DE FURIA Stunt Coordinator

I totally agree with David. The Stereo version has been around for years. Lets try a fresh, aggressive new surround mix to breath new life into some old favorites. I LOVE the Queen disc. I've heard that LP countless times but after hearing the DVD-A it was like it was brand new! I listened to it all the way through three times the first day. Bring on the new mixes!

11. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Queen disk is awsome, that is what multi channel is all about

12. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

John, yeah, I know, I have the Zephr disc [​IMG] It was one of the ititial discs Mark sent me to sample his stuff. As far as reviewing goes, I have put that one on the back burner, as that type of a capella singing would be a tough sell on the HTF readership. I encourage all those that enjoy a capella voices-only to buy the Zephr disc from AIX. I am in the process of gathering notes for the Nitty Gritty Surround disc from AIX for the next review.