What's new

Recommendations for properly mixed SACD and DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Ron_N

Grip
I need 10 of each of the best SACDs and DVD-As, that you all know of, that were done with a realistic approach. By that I mean ones that were recorded with the music in the front and ambience in the background, and not the ones where the keyboards, guitar, or drums are coming from behind you. I'm looking for something in the New Age, Jazz, and Classical categories.

This is to be my startup collection. Thanks for your help.

Ron

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

When a recording has no objective reality, ie it is a multi-tracked, mixed down to any number of delivered channels, who is to say what is "properly mixed"?

Sure you have your preference, but by using the terminology "properly mixed" you are saying anything not recorded to your preferences is "properly mixed", which is not the case.

As for ambient use of surrounds:
SACD:
Bob Mintzer Big Band "Homage to Count Basie" on DMP Records
Bucky Pizzarelli "Swing Live" on Chesky Records

DVD-A:
Bucky Pizzarelli "Swing Live on Chesky Records
Don't know the same level of specifics, but it is Harnoncourt conducting the works of Johann Strauss on Teldec.

Regards,

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Good point John. Now Ron, try this website for discs that are mixed the way you prefer.;)
www.aixrecords.com
The DVD-A selection is generally mixed from the audience perspective. Most of the discs also contain a dts "stage" mix.
Sometimes when I have relaxed a bit too long listening to classical and jazz, I put on the Metallica DVD-A, which has a very aggressive "improper" mix, and crank it up til the pictures rattle. That gets the adreniline going when I need to clean house or mow the lawn.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Ron_N

Grip
Mr. Kotches said
When a recording has no objective reality, ie it is a multi-tracked, mixed down to any number of delivered channels, who is to say what is "properly mixed"?

Sure you have your preference, but by using the terminology "properly mixed" you are saying anything not recorded to your preferences is "properly mixed", which is not the case.
Okay, Okay, Okay! You're right, but at the time I couldn't think of any other way to put it. Sorry!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Much to my dismay, the new Queensryche: Empire disc is mixed in a way that you would like. I would have preferred a more unconventional mix myself.

NP: George Gershwin: "Concerto in F"

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I do believe that Kind of Blue SACD is perfect for what you're saying: trumpet in the center channel, some hi-hat and "ambience" in the rears, piano and sax focused on the mains.

NP: Joe Satriani, Stange Beautiful Music

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I agree, Kind of Blue is great, you can practically hear the saliva in the sax.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I don't think I'll ever understand this penchant to have to hear all the music "in front of you". It's a shame you have to miss out on discs like Queen: A Night At The Opera which is one of the coolest mixes and best sounding DVD-A's to be released. If you think about audio in terms of 'non-visual' then the sounds can come from anywhere. Or do what was previously mentioned and check out AIX Records. In particular, the Nitty Gritty Surround disc. All the musicians are performing in a circle. Now imagine yourself in the center of that circle and that's what you end up with. It's actually pretty cool.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
David,

Mark used the same approach in recording Zephyr, a 14 person a capella choir.

Regards,

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
I totally agree with David. The Stereo version has been around for years. Lets try a fresh, aggressive new surround mix to breath new life into some old favorites. I LOVE the Queen disc. I've heard that LP countless times but after hearing the DVD-A it was like it was brand new! I listened to it all the way through three times the first day. Bring on the new mixes!

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
John, yeah, I know, I have the Zephr disc ;) It was one of the ititial discs Mark sent me to sample his stuff. As far as reviewing goes, I have put that one on the back burner, as that type of a capella singing would be a tough sell on the HTF readership. I encourage all those that enjoy a capella voices-only to buy the Zephr disc from AIX. I am in the process of gathering notes for the Nitty Gritty Surround disc from AIX for the next review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks