What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Recommendations for a decent set of tires (1 Viewer)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
What's your recommendation for a good reasonably priced set of "touring" type tires for a family sedan. Something that has good traction in rain and lasts more than 30k miles. If you went by the manufacturers description they are all great. Unfortunately most don't seem to meet either the mileage quoted or the rain/snow/riding attributes.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I've had good luck with Michelin Pilots. They're very quiet, have good all season performance, and are still going strong at 48,000 miles. They're a little pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
heard good things about the pilots as well.

the bridgestone SO3 is supposed to be good, but maybe more performance oriented than you're looking for.

I would advise to stay away from the bridgestone RE92, not a very good tire :frowning:

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I highly recommend Michelin tires. Mine are going on about 40,000 miles and still seem to have about 10,000 more to go.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i've been using bridgestoe potenza's on my accord for the last two rounds. i bought them the first time based upon the dealer's recommendation and have stuck with them ever since.

i don't recall specifics (cost or tire-wear) but i know i've been pretty happy in both respects. my car has about 140k on it and i've gone through two sets (plus the originals)...

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I second the recommendation of TireRack. Go to their website and put in your vehicle's make and model. It'll show you the tires available for your car and you can read reviews from consumers about each of the tires.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I put Michelin X-Ones on my old Cavalier many years ago. They were leaps and bounds above the firestones provided with the car. They were supposed to have a real long life, they had a lifetime warranty, but the way the prorating worked it really worked out to 80,000 miles. I didn't have the car for long after I got them, but I did like them a lot.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the potenza RE92?
oh dear. go to the WRX boards if you want those tires, they come on the WRX and can be had brand new for 100-175 bucks a set for 16"s. They're so widely hated people pull them off the car and replace them first thing.
I have them on my car and loathe them. too soft, not enough grip. Though they are OK in the rain.. not the snow.

Mark Fontana

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Another vote for Michelin X-Ones. I have some on my Saturn, and they perform much better in wet and snowy conditions than the original Firestones. In between the Firestones and Michelins I had Continentals. Those were really awful for winter driving.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Toyo Ultra all-season tires are pretty good. Better than the Michelins I had on my Accord V6, especially in the snow!

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
While I can't recommend any all-season tires (I use high performance tires in the summer & snow tires in the winter), I can second Max' recommendation for Toyo tires. I'm on my 4th set. They don't get a whole lot of press, but they're a fantastic tire for the money.

Andrej

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
How about the Kumho KH11 (also found at Tirerack.com)?

I just recently put these on my '95 Accord EX. Prior to that, I ran through 2 sets of Michelin Energy MXV4s. They were good tires, but I felt that something was "missing." They were a little wandering when driven aggressively. Not that I drive (the Accord, that is;) ) that way, but in those panic maneuvers, ya know. They were OK in the rain, but, again, lacking.

So, I'd read a lot of good things about the KH11s. The most attractive feature is the price. $45/tire, as opposed to $120/tire for the Michelins at Costco.

They have been fantastic thus far. Traction in the rain is MUCH better. Dry traction is way better- they almost grip like a true performance tire. I've put some body lean on the Accord that simply wasn't possible with the Michelins.:) The ride is slightly quieter- I suspect because they are a three-season tire (they don't look like they'd do well in the snow)- less blocky tread.

Downsides- I expect that they'll last about 40k miles or so, based on the treadwear rating. I got about 58K on each set of the Michelins. Also, it appears that my mileage has dropped about one mpg or so- the Michelins are a "low rolling resistance" tire.

All in all- I can highly recommend the KH11s.

Todd

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I spent some time on the tirerack website. Just on the basis of reviews the Yokohama Avids look pretty good.I looked at Dunlops due to earlier positive reviews I had seen in Consumer Reports. Dunlop reviews did not look good at all. Looked like lots of out of round problems and premature wear problems.

Goodyear had 2 tires that looked good, the Aquatread and the Regatta 2. My own experience with Goodyears in the past were that they were an ok tire performance wise but did not last long.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have enjoyed the yokohamas I've owned in the past, I put some avid T4's on my GF's nissan a couple years back and they were great tires. Nice tire in the snow. My one complaint is yoko's have never gone the distance for me, they seem to wear out pretty quick.
I have heard lots of good about the kumhos mentioned but haven't owned any, I've owned toyo in the past and will second all the great comments, I had forgotten about them :)

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Yokohamas have been a good tire for me they have a lot of different ones to choose from depending on the performance you want. They normally last good amount of miles too. Make sure that allignment is good or you can wear out any good tire fast. Let us know what you choose. I have AVS sports 275/40/17 a nice high performance tire. Great in the rain. We are getting lots of it too.

Kevin Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
I strongly agree with those recommending The Tire Rack for online tire shopping. They've been excellent for us, even getting us tires to us here in Germany very quickly--FAR faster that the Army and Air Force Exchange service parts store, cheaper, and with a much better selection.

I'm using Sumitomo HTR+ tires. They've been great so far, even while pushing the top speed limiter (129 mph) of my Bimmer on my daily commute. (Darn US Specs) For the price, these are the highest rated tires I've seen, and they're rated higher than some much higher priced tires. Check out their ratings at The Tire Rack's web site...

Good luck!

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Well, after lots of web searching, looking at reviews and looking to see what I can get locally, I think I'm going to try the Kumho Ecsta HP4 716. They are going on a 94 Sable that only see's 5k-6k mikes per year so I'm not looking to get >60k miles out of a tire. Kumho seems to be pretty well regarded although I had never heard of them. I can get 4 mounted and balanced here locally for $225 out the door. If I want lifetime rotation/balance it's $250. The specs on the tire are good. 50,000 mile tread wear and traction A and temp A. They seem to do well in all weather conditions and have good grip. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks