What's new

Recommendation on Speaker Purchase (1 Viewer)

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Within the next few months, I plan to purchase a pair of new mains. Right now I am running some Sony cube speakers that came with a HT in a box package. I have visited a few stores to get ideas on what is out there. Budget wise, I am looking to spend about $800-$1000. So far the speaker brands I am looking at are Definitive Technology, Paradigm, and JBL. I didnt get the model numbers of the DT's and Paradigms, but the JBL mains I am looking at are the S412P models shown on Best Buys website. Can anyone out there comment on these brands? I want to make sure I buy the best possible speakers with my money! Thanks.
Brandon Smith
------------------
bdohtf.jpg

http://sweb.uky.edu/~btsmit2
[email protected]

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Brandon, Def Tech makes tremendous speakers! If you are looking at just a set of main speakers, you can probably get the 2006TL's for around 1k/pair street price. Otherwise I would bet that you would also be very very happy with their new PowerMonitors (see the newest S&V Mag for a review).
If you need any setup tips, let me know. Good luck!

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
You get more for your hard earned bucks buying from the online manufacturers. Try:
Atlantic Technology
Ascend Acoustics
Aperion Audio
Swan's Diva at www.AV123.com
Monsoon (or planar speakers)
Magnean
Home Theater Direct
There are others, but I can't remember off hand. You should get plenty of other input.
Good Luck,
Russ

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brandon, I just bought Paradigm Mini Monitors and the CC-170 center speaker and I love them great clarity, imaging and punch. I'm very happy with the Paradigm's.
------------------

David Head

Second Unit
I recommend you add PSB Image and/or PSB Stratus speakers to your audition list. The dealer in your area is:
The Dish Outlet, Inc.
2348 Palumbo Drive
Lexington, KY 40509
859-335-1644
I found the JBL floor standing Studio speakers to be a little muddy sounding and preferred the sound of the JBL S38 bookshelf speakers (paired with a good sub of course). I found that the Paradigm and PSB speakers had better midrange and imaging than the JBLs. I didn't audition the Def Techs when I was speaker shopping, so I can't compare those. I ended up with PSB Image speakers that I absolutely love! They are not only great for home theater, but wonderful for music as well.
Good luck in your search.
David

Chip E

Screenwriter
Brandon, i've go PSB Stratus Silveri's and love 'em! David's right about the imageing & clariy with PSB's... absolutely incredible... especially when you get into the Image line and then, move up to the Stratus line. Good luck.
- Chip
------------------

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I 2nd the motion on PSB,just look below.
patriot.gif

------------------
RCA 36 INCH TV
DENON avr-2800
Panasonic DVD-rv80
Fronts:PSB Century 1000i
Center:PSB century 100i
Rear:PSB Alpha into LR
MTX power sub
Kimber Kable & Illuminations V-21

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Brandon,
With the budget you have you could replace all five of the cubes. You could get five Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 speakers. Or you could get the nOrh 4.0 package. For a pair of mains, you can get:
ACI Opal
nOrh SM 6.9
AV-Reality S-9300
Swan Diva 5.1 (possibly 6.1)
One thing you also may want to do is upgrade your speaker wire to 12 guage all around.
[Edited last by BryanZ on September 26, 2001 at 09:57 AM]

EricHM

Agent
Might I reccomend something else?
I went to my local HT MEGASTORE in san antonio, called bjorns and audtioned many speakers including B&W's, klipsch references, bostons, def techs, and others. Far and away, the speakers that sounded the best to me were the Phase Technology PC 2.1's. These are a 6.5" two way front ported bookshelf speaker, and they are remarkably smooth sounding with GREAT bass extension (you would have no problem crossing your sub over below 50hz with these). In fact, they sounded almost as good as the Def tech towers in the store that cost twice as much. For $700 a pair, I would definitely try and audition the phase techs if possible. I have not been able to hear any newer paradigms, but my dad has some old monitor sereies bookshelves with 8" midwoofer and 1" soft dome tweeter and I thought the phase techs sound much better than they do; however that is not really a valid analysis since I was listening in two completely different environements; I do not know about the new paradigm speakers, but I doubt the new monitors could sound quite as nice as the phase techs, however the studio series might come close.
pc-2.jpg

http://www.phasetech.com
has more info on these speakers.
Good Luck

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Eric- i'm from san antonio and absolutely LOVE Bjorn's. that store is awesome...i plan to work there next summer (if i don't get a job at the local hi-fi store up here)!
to stay on topic, lemme also say that i've heard excellent reviews on PSB speakers. i'm actually considering a pair of Image 6T's and a 9C for my next upgrade this coming summer (too far away
frown.gif
). paradigm is also excellent.
------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I am going to try to go get a demo of some PSB speakers sometime this week. I am hoping in a few months to have the mains and hopefully shortly after that I can afford to get a center channel. Again thanks for all the great suggestions!
Brandon Smith
------------------
bdohtf.jpg

[email protected]

Denward

Supporting Actor
Brandon,
It sounds like you're auditioning the usual suspects stocked by Ovation. If you ever make it to Louisville, you should check out Wilder Electronics. They've got B&W, PSB, and others I can't remember. I bought my B&Ws from them a few months ago. They have a store near the corner of Shelbyville Road and Hurstbourne and another in St. Matthews. And there's an Ovation about midway between them on Shelbyville Rd. If you want more specific directions, you can email me.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Den,
I have never been to Wilder Electronics. If I get a chance to go to Louisville soon I will make sure to swing by there and check it out. I have been to the Ovations in St. Matthews a few times though. Today I got a chance to go demo some PSB's at The Dish Outlet here in Lexington. I am focusing on the Stratus Bronze series and boy was I impressed with them! I am upgrading one step at a time, so a pair of Bronze mains will be the first purchase, then a PSB center, and eventually two PSB rear channels. I really appreciate all the help of you guys pointing me in the right direction. Thanks again.
Brandon Smith
------------------
bdohtf.jpg

[email protected]

David Head

Second Unit
Brandon,
I'm glad you liked the PSBs. Let us know when you get them and how they sound in your system.
David

Chip E

Screenwriter
Brandon, about 5 months ago when i also auditioned the PSB Stratus Bronze's, i was so impressed with their sound that i bought the Stratus Silveri's unseen! I wasn't dissapponted... At the time i ordered the Silveri's (they weren't in stock) i also bought the C6i center channel (all in high gloss black, an option with all Stratus series PSB speakers) There is a C5 & C6i center channel in the Stratus line. For my surround's, i continued to use the Infinity QPS1's i had been using for a couple years until i could afford some matching PSB surround's. About six weeks ago i picked up a pair of PSB Image 10S's. Their bipolar and wall mountable. I would've picked up a set od Stratus Mini's however, my room wouldn't accomidate those direct radiating beauties, lol..
The owner at the shop i bought my new speakers from here in South Jersey played some of James Taylor - "Live at the Beacon Theater" on the Bronzes... i was blown away by the imaging & clarity of these speakers... Good luck pal, you'll love'm!
cool.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Chip
patriot.gif

------------------

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Well guys I finally decided on some speaker. While I had originally intended to get the PSB Bronze series, recent events swayed my decision. In Novemeber, I started working at Best Buy. As most of you know this means I get a pretty sizable discount on most things in the store. After reading up on the JBL Studio series I decided for the money, I couldn't go wrong. Today I went in and ordered a pair of Studio 312s. They should arrive by the weekend. I will post my thoughts once they arrive. Thanks again for all the help. The Home Theater Forum is the ultimate resource!

Brandon Smith

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Hey Brandon ... have a question for you. I was wondering, with the best buy employee discount, how much would a pair of JBL S-38's run. Just curious. Hope you like those new speakers. :emoji_thumbsup:
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks