What's new

recommend some orchestra DVD-A/SACD (1 Viewer)

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Just after some recommendations for some orchestra music on DVD-A or SACD (preferably mutichannel). The only criteria is sound quality.

Thanks guys.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Try this one:

This is a new recording on Sony's own DSD recording equipment. It's probably the most impressive recording of an orchestra that I have yet heard.

Many of the SACDs are of older recordings from the 1950s and 1960s. They sound much better on SACD than they did before, but not quite as good as a contemporary recording.

Sathyan

Second Unit
go for modern recordings

Oh, there are so many...
(I'll limit myself to ten)

Dvorak 8/9 with Fischer on Philips
Mahler 5 with Rattle on EMI
Mahler 6 with Zander on Telarc
Mahler 3-6 with SFSO on Delos
Strauss Alpine Symphony with VPO on DG
Shosty 7 with Gergiev on Philips
Beethoven Symphonies with Barenboim on Teldec
Ravel Bolero with Skrowazewski on MFSL
Gliere 3 with Botstein on Telarc
Bruckner 9 with Harnoncourt on RCA

DanFe

Second Unit
Go for historical recordings:

Szell in

Dvorak
Wagner
Mussorgsky
Schumann

Walter in:

Beethoven
Brahms

Bernstein in:

Gershwin

Believe me, modern isn't just where it's at.

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
I would highly recommend Levi (Atlanta symph) version of
Stavinsky's "Rite of Spring"
This was on the Telarc lable recorded around 1990.
Not multichannel.... but very good audio. The kettle drums make my house shake (well, the SVS with the gain turned to about 40% helps that as well!!)

There is a multichannel SACD with g Szell (Cleveland Orch) doing the same piece... i am very interested to hear if anyone has it and would recommend it as well.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I was just about to tell you about the first reply, but then I discovered that it was written by you. :) You got a sale out of me, even though I don't have an SACD player, with the help of the reviews at Amazon.

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator

I've got it, and surprisingly it is just OK, not great. That's just my opinion of course, and I'm not exactly an expert...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks! Amazon has to special order it anyways, so I can cancel it.

EDIT: I had ordered another item along with this at Amazon, which qualified me for Super Saver Shipping, which I used, so actually, Amazon still came out cheaper, since the San Francisco Symphony's cheapest shipping method costs $7.66. But, it's only a couple bucks difference, and I'm guessing it would arrive faster ordering direct since Amazon has to special order it, so I'm sticking with the Symphony. :)

I'm guessing Amazon's price is higher because they have to special order it, and they have to pay for shipping costs.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I like the Donald Runnicles "Carmina Burana" with Atlanta on Telarc (SACD).

And since these have both been mentioned . . .

I keep hearing about the Tilson Thomas Mahler perfs (is it a complete cycle? I don't think I've seen the 8th) with the SFSO. Any comparative comments on how these fare compared to the Benjamin Zander readings on Telarc?

Can't wait for Telarc to do a new DSD recording of the 8th!

And a random Mahler issue for comment: Thoroughly enjoyed the Mahler 3rd live at the Dorothy Chandler last season (Esa Pekka Salonen, LA Phil). Bought the out-of-print Sony CD (recorded at the Chandler). Now wondering about the Pierre Boulez on DG SACD (it just won I think 2 Grammys) and the Jesus Lopez-Cobos Telarc (new DSD resording released on CD). Any thoughts/comments?

-p

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Only 3 Mahlers by Tilson Thomas have been released to date on SACD (1, 3, 6), but the entire cycle will be available at some point. I've heard the Zander 5th on CD and it's superb, but I'm not aware of its availabity in hi-rez. The Thomas Mahler's are awesome!

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Zander's Mahler is very competent, but again there's a lot of hoopla over nothing.

The truly outstanding Mahler cycle being made now is by Michael Gielen and SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg on Hänssler Classic. Gielen takes a modernist view of the music, refusing to smooth over its awkward and grotesque sounds, illustrating just how much Mahler was a 20th century conductor. Sound quality is outstanding (though not available in SACD or DVD-A). The filler is also brilliant. Instead of the usual song cycles, or no filler at all -- MTT's cycle -- the remaining space on the discs are loaded with music by Schubert, Webern, Schoenberg, Ives and others.

DanFe

Second Unit
If you want multichannel then go for any of the 1970s Pentatone releases. Far better than alot that's out there. Tilson-Thomas's Mahler 4 is out.

Sathyan

Second Unit
The Zander (Telarc) Mahler's come with a bonus disc discussing the work (like a preconcert talk). I wish more releases would do this.

I prefer the Zander to the Thomas for the 6th but both are worth having. The Gielen is certainly impressive but I think Mahler works rather well in multichannel.

I realize this thread is regarding orchestral music...but in any classical thread, I believe the chamber work put out by TACET in DVD-A deserves mention.
The soundscape created by devoting each channel primarily to one instrument and placing the listener in the center makes for a very cool listen (granted a bit unrealistic).
The Schubert String Quinted album is probably the best I've heard of this piece. Also recommended is the Mendelssohn string octet and the "French" album of Ravel, Faure and Debussy.

D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Though Thomas' Mahler might not be groundbreaking, I think the recordings do add something to the body of recorded Mahler: passionately performed, very-well executed direct DSD recordings of all (assuming they get all of them) the symphonies.

DanFe, thanks for the heads-up on the 4th. It will be a part of my next order.

Daniel, I was promoting Tacet's DVD-As for a while after I got them. They are really nice if you're into aggressive multi-channel. Their only problem is the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks