What's new

Recommend receiver for use with power amps (1 Viewer)

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
I need opinions about a situation. I rendered two Sony TA-9000ES's and a Sony EP9ES non-workable; they're way out of warranty. Should I look at the cost of repairing one of them or get a new receiver? ...and which one.

I want to power an ATI 2505, two Cinepros and an Adcom amplifier. So, I'm not interested in the amplifier section as much as I am in the preamp/processor end. What's the biggest bang for my buck considering this?

Thanks,
Roy

Brent_S

Second Unit
Respectfully, I would suggest that the Yamaha 661 used as a pre-amp is the best bang for the buck going. Available everywhere for $499 and frequently $399 from authorized dealers. The 661 is reported to use the same Burr-Brown DACS used in Yamaha's higher end models and has HDMI 1.2 for full processing of 7.1 PCM.

A friend of mine recently replaced a Sherwood-Newcastle AVP-9080, well regarded in its day, with the 661 and considers it a sonic improvement. The 661 and Onkyo 705 are my final two contenders to replace my 9080 as well.

-Brent

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
How about opinions on the

Yamaha RXV2600BL 7.1-CHANNEL THX SELECT2 Home Theater Receiver?

I can pick this up for less than half of retail ...about $600.00

Brent_S

Second Unit

It's one, probably two generations old since the x800 series are shipping, thus the clearance pricing.

Biggest deficiency compared to the 661 or 705 is HDMI audio processing. I can't find what version of HDMI the 2600 has, but it's likely 1.1 which won't handle the 7.1 LPCM audio tracks that HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players use for passing the lossless audio formats. If you don't ever see yourself upgrading to HD/Blu-Ray, then it may be worth consideration.

BTW, the Onkyo 705 I mentioned is also THX Select2 Certified and is readily availabel for $650 give or take from authorized retailers. Additionally, it's HDMI 1.3a which means it will decode the lossless formats internally once players/software allow the bitstream to be passed to the processor before decoding.

In short, I don't see anything that would influence me to choose the heavily discounted 2600 over the 661 or 705. YMMV.

-Brent

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure 1.1 will, 1.2 really only adds raw DSD transmission.

I think the 661 would make a fantastic pre-pro pro in just about any system with the way it handles LPCM.

Brent_S

Second Unit

True per the spec...had to look it up.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
It gets a little confusing when receivers, especially the 1.1, are bad about implementing the spec literally...meaning that can't or don't apply BM, channel delays, processing overlays, etc. Even 1.2 and probably 1.3 spec receivers are no guarantee that you'll be able to do everything to the LPCM streams that you can to DD/DTS/stereo. As they say, caveat emptor.

-Brent

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely true. The spec tells you what the pipeline is capable of carrying, but you've still got to look at a unit's specific capabilities.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
FYI, the 805 also uses Burr-Brown DACS. I'm pretty sure the 705 doesn't. At least Onkyo doesn't mention it, and I think they would have.

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene
I think that the Yamaha 661 is a very good choice. I would not get the Outlaw 990. You are much better off with HDMI, than with DVI.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
1.1 will but not all 1.1 preamps/receivers will handle LPCM.

The Outlaw IMHo is a boat anchor in todays world unless you have a HD player capable of analog outs and even then it's a stop gap. If you are looking at HD DVD or BR, then get an HDMI 1.1 receiver or better and make sure it will handle LPCM over HDMI.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Yup...like I said above, you've really got to look at the capabilities of the specific unit in question.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
maybe i am wrong or i just don't get it or maybe just exhausted or just confused. you are looking for a receiver and use the preamp section as a processor am i right. i would like to know which cinepro amps you own. do you realize these amps are world class and to feed them with the top section of any receiver would make eric abrahms turn in his grave...

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc

Well, I guess no one can say I have no patience! I today ordered a Yamaha RXV 1800! The nice thing is that since it is a pretty high power receiver, I may be able to use it by itself and sell my power amp.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Look for a nice review of the 1800 in the Dec. 2007 issue of S&V magazine where they rated it at 105 wpc x 5. The 863 on the other hand could only muster 45 x 5. The only real negative they had about the 1800 was you could only use one crossover setting for all speakers set to small. Otherwise, it was :emoji_thumbsup: ! I'm on the hunt for a 4600, btw.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
I want to power an ATI 2505, two Cinepros and an Adcom amplifier. So, I'm not interested in the amplifier section as much as I am in the preamp/processor end. What's the biggest bang for my buck considering this?

I know this is an old post, but why would anyone use a receiver for a preamp for these poweramps?? I don't get it maybe somebody can help me understand. I know for a fact that cinepro amps are around $7000.00 each.
I just don't get it, sorry...What's the purpose?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks