What's new

Reciever for around $2-300 (1 Viewer)

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David

People are certainly entitled to an opinion, widely held or otherwise. That still doesn't make it correct in the context of this thread's original query ("Receiver for around $2-300"). Nor does that opinion validate a statement that "The ONLY other full-featured HDMI receiver in the range is the Marantz SR4001 for around $400." since the ES flavor of Sonys cost several times more that amount.

You're right about one thing, however. Like the Marantz SR4001, the Sony STR-DG800 doesn't have analog-to-HDMI upconversion. The Sony, however, does upconvert both composite and s-video to component whereas the Marantz upconverts only s-video. Both appear to be HDMI PASSTHROUGH devices.

My only point here is that there ARE alternatives in the price range that "pistonsfan70" defined that he may want to consider even if you don't. That said, I'm done.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If they're passthrough only then they're not full-featured HDMI receivers. A full featured HDMI receiver will also handle audio over HDMI (TrueHD and HD-Master decoded to LPCM and DD/DTS bitstream). Without this ability the receiver is nothing more than an integrated HDMI switch and will not handle TrueHD or HD-Master from HD-DVD or BluRay players (including the PS3 which the OP has).

The SR4001 is an HDMI repeater handling LPCM audio as well as 1080p video, not just passthrough... making it the only other full-featured HDMI receiver near the price range.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I'm not this time...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
.Sometimes not mentioning certain products, even if they fit the requirements, is being of more service to the OP than if they were mentioned. Sony makes alot of wonderfull products that offer a good value to the purchaser. But many of us feel that none of those products are receivers in this OP's price range.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Which part of the MA6500 is attainable for $300? the volume knob, perhaps?

edit: There's the Glass face on Audiogon, for $100, hurrah!!

Flyboy99GT

Auditioning
Real Name
David
So does this mean that with the receiver mentioned, it will up-convert dvds played in the PS3 to 720/1080? And a hd dvd player/upconverter would not be needed?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
These lower-end HDMI receivers do not scale 480i/480p to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. The lowest price unit I know that will is the Pioneer Elite 82TXs for around $1050 from authorized dealers.

Flyboy99GT

Auditioning
Real Name
David
So would the simplest way to complete a decent setup probably be to go with a hd dvd player/upconverter along with one of the receivers you mentioned that has HDMI outputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks