What's new

Reciever 5.1 outs...What are they for? (1 Viewer)

Hugh Scrivener

Stunt Coordinator
Basically the heading says it all. What are these out-puts for? I'm using(abusing) a Sony STR DB-940...for my dollar an excellent amp, so theres an RCA jack for each channel, 2 for the sub's. What are these actually for? Can I use them to feed the line level in-put of a powered sub to dedicate a LFE to each channel? Can I use them to feed a signal to an off-board amp, like seperates, to deliver even more power to each channel/speaker?.....Help!!! There are holes on the back of my amp that I havn't spent a s@*%-load of money plugging up!!!!!

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Hugh, I bet you are referring to channel preouts. These are so you can hook up an external amp to each channel and power your speakers rather than using the internal amps of your receiver. The LFE channel, the .1 of 5.1, is what you hook the subwoofer up to, the rest are for your center channel, mains, and surrounds.
Clear as mud?? :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Hugh, they are to go out to power amps and the .1's are for powered sub's/amp & passive sub. You should read your manual, but then again it's a Sony manual, that mght not help! Best wishes!

Hugh Scrivener

Stunt Coordinator
O.K.,.....no Sony bashing allowed!:D COULD I use it to feed signal to powered subs and use the sub x-over to control freqs?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Hugh, if the sub has inputs and outputs you could feed the L & R channels into it, use the crosover and then send the signal out to an amp. I'm not familar with your reciever and don't know if it has main-ins, to bring the signal back in to the amps. I'm presuming it doesn't since you didn't mention it. If that's the case, you would have to send the signal on to an outboard amp to do this.
When pre-outs are done right you also get main-in's. Then you could go out to, say, an equalizer and then send the signal back in to the amps. Note also, that many sub's only have a line input and no line output. I have my stereo system set up with a sub with inputs and outpus. My pre sends the L & R main sound output to the sub, then the outputs go to the power amp that pwers two small satelite speakers.
In 5.1 if you were to do this, you might want a second sub for the .1 bass channel, because you'd lose bass directed from the centre, surrounds, and the .1 channel's own bass.
;) I'm allowed to bash Sony because I own a bunch of it and the manuals always have glaring omissions or, apparently, translation problems. You should know! Best wishes!

Hugh Scrivener

Stunt Coordinator
I admit, the manual leaves a little to be desired. The remote manual is actually thicker than the amp manual. And I always did wonder, Why are the set-up instructions on page 27?.....go figure. By main-in's do you mean 5.1 in's, yes it has these, but only one sub in, while it has two sub outs.

Hugh Scrivener

Stunt Coordinator
I admit, the manual leaves a little to be desired. The remote manual is actually thicker than the amp manual. And I always did wonder, Why are the set-up instructions on page 27?.....go figure. By main-in's do you mean 5.1 in's, yes it has these, but only one sub in, while it has two sub outs.Can the line-level and speaker level out-puts be used at once? Like to maybe feed 5.1 to another room?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks