What's new

Receiver with remote cotrolled A and/or B Speaker Control (1 Viewer)

Brian D

Auditioning
Hey all,

I'm looking for some help here. I just had a deck built and a hot tub put in, so I want to take my Audio/video outside. I plan on keeping the equipment inside, out of the rain, and I want to be able to just have the speakers around the hot tub playing, or the ones around the bar/table area playing seperately or all at the same time. I don't need to have different sources for the speakers, I put a TV out there, and I want to just be able to watch it with surround sound in the Hot Tub, quietly if it's just us, or just from the table/bar area or be able to play it or music for everyone on the deck if we have a party. I figure I need a receiver that can switch between speaker set-up A and B or play both sets. I also need this to be done by remote as I will be using an IR repeater to control it. Honestly, because of all the money I have spent lately, I am hoping soomeone might have some inexpensive ideas. Even a Pro-Logic unit will work for this. Some products that you know that can do this, so I can look on Ebay for some deals. All help and ideas would be appreciated !!

thanks,

Brian

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I successfully setup my projector and speakers temporarilly outside.

I wouldnt even bother with prolog and perhaps just go stereo.

Unless this is a mostly enclosed area, which is doesnt sound like it is, I think most of the surround effect would probably be lost. Perhaps I'm wrong but I really dont think there would be much of a point.

Plus with stereo you could probably get a cheap stereo only reciever to dedicate to the deck.

MarkusP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Brian, if I am not mistaken, my NAD T752 allows me to switch between A and B speakers via remote - I think it has two small buttons labeled Speakers A and B. You can pick up a NAD pretty cheap right now on ebay and audiogon.

I can check this weekend and let you know for sure on Monday.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
My Onkyo 800 allows me to do A/B speaker switching from the remote. I think my old Onkyo 600 allowed it also (its basically the same remote).

Dan J S

Agent
Most 7.1 recievers can optionally use the 2 rear channels as a Zone 2 area rather than as rears in your home theater. There's usually some setup procedure to activate this. I know the higher end Denon models can do this (3805), but the lower end ones can probably do it as well (2805, 1705).

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Dan

I think Brian is looking for receivers that switch between the speakers (or zones) via the remote, as he will be in a separate room at the time.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
We have several stereo receivers that offer A/B speaker switching via IR remote.

The least expensive is the Sherwood RX-4100/RX-4103. Slightly higher performing is our newer RX-4105. For higher end applications, our brand new Sherwood Newcastle RX-770 is high current, has a 4 gang FM tuner, binding posts and a phono section. SRP for the Newcastle RX-770 is only $299.95.

The RX-4100/4103 are typically available around $99.95.

Jeff

Dan J S

Agent
Rob, I'm pretty sure the 2nd zones can be controlled by the remote on pretty much any 7.1 reciever. It would be a matter of doing something like activating the zone B, then selecting the source, then changing the volume. It's a little more advanced than an A/B switch on old stereo recievers because the 2nd zone has separate amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks