What's new

Receiver setting questions (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
Could someone please explain a few things to me in simple caveman terms...? My receiver is a Pioneer 850s.
1. What exactly does the Low Cut Filter do? Does it cut the super low frequencies to the sub? If so, at what frequency??
2. What exactly does the LFE Attenuator do? It has 0db, 10db, or off. I seem to have read conflicting descriptions of this...
3. Which frequencies go where when subwoofer "PLUS" is selected?
Thanks all!!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hi Paul,

Sorry. Don't own an 850...don't have a manual. But I'll take a stab where I can.

1) am unfamiliar with the Pioneer low cut filter terminology. Are you describing something you can select?
2) LFE attenuator will cut the signal by the specified amount if Bass becomes distorted...generally occurring at high volume setting. Usually 0dB is standard setting, -10dB is the reduction. Don't know why there would be an Off unless it's the kind of selection you can make from the remote in which case it would be a safety.
3) Subwoofer 'Plus' sounds like the same as Sub+L-R or Sub+Mains on other receivers. If this is so then the speakers set to LARGE will receive a full range signal and the Sub will also receive the Bass signal derived from the X-over. On some receivers ANY speaker set to LARGE will get full range but on most it is limited to the fronts.

Hope any of this helps. Awhile back I thought of getting the 850 from Crutchfield when they were selling out. Lack of OSD, if I recall correctly, ultimately turned me away.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Thanks Paul. Yes, the Low Cut Filter is an on/off selection in the setup menu. I need to know what exactly this means... As for the attenuator, I think the third setting might be infinity? Does that make sense? So if all sounds well at higher volumes, I don't want to attenuate, do I? Then I leave it set to 0? Or infinity(If thats what that squigly symbol means...). I think you are right about the Plus setting, though I wasn't sure if the LFE then went through the mains as well. Thanks again. I will continue my quest for knowledge about this Low Cut Filter. Probably will have to find an email address for Pioneer Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks