What's new

Receiver/Separates + Speaker Combination (1 Viewer)

LawZalasky

Auditioning
Long....long time since I posted but I've been bitten by the upgrade bug again so I'm back.

I recently purchased a new house in which the owners were nice enough to pre-wire a 5 channel system in the upstairs bonus room. However, the in-wall speakers they chose are bad enough I can't give them away (Pro-Linear PL8WA x 5).

I've already ordered a set of Atlantic Technology in-walls to replace them, IWTS-14 LCR x 3 up front and a pair of IWTS-14 SR for the back.

I'll also be upgrading my receiver as well, a Pioneer Elite VSX-37 circa 2001. It still sounds great, but it doesn't offer any kind of HDMI switching or DD HD/DTS MA.

I was an inch away from ordering an Integra DHC 9.9 but thought I might be over doing it considering the speakers I've ordered. Does it make sense to spend $2600 on 5 speakers, then $4500 on a preamp/amp combo? Will the Atlantic Tech in-walls take advantage of the higher end electronics or will I be just as well off with something from Outlaw (the yet to be released 997) or Emotiva (again, the yet to be released UMD-1).

Thanks,
LZ

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
When it comes to amps and pre-amps, I don't believe in overkill.

That being said, I believe the amps are more important than the pre/pro.What are you going to use for an amp?

LawZalasky

Auditioning
For now, I'll be using the 5.1 pre-in's on my receiver. In a few months, maybe a Parasound Halo A52.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks