What's new

Receiver Recommendations..... (1 Viewer)

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I'm in the process of putting together my Home Theater System and I'm in need of some recommendations.

I currently have a 27" Samsung HDTV, 2 JBL S312IIs as fronts, a JBL S-Center II, and a pair of JBL S36IIs as my rear speakers. I'm looking for a Receiver and a DVD player to complete the system.

Since I work at Best Buy, and since I get a tidy little discount, my choices are pretty much limited to Best Buy stock (i.e. low to mid-range receivers).

I've narrowed it down to 2 choices: The Yamaha HTR 5490 and the Kenwood VR 6060. The Yamaha is only rated to 80 watts a channel, which makes me think it might be a bit underpowered. I'm only hooking up 5 speakers to the receiver, so which do you guys think would be better?

I'm looking for HDTV component switching, amplification that's on par with my speakers (especially the 312's), and quality sound. Recommendations? Comments?

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
I agree completely with Laurence & Kevin, the Yamaha will sound way better no question. Wattage is not the end-all-be-all of a good receiver anyway. Try comparing the Kenwood's frequency range (problably at 1 KHZ in all channels only) and the Total Harmonic Distortion is going to be quite high compared to the Yammie also.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Brian,

My setup is almost exactly the same as yours (my JBL's are series 1's). I have the Yamaha HTR-5490 and have been very pleased with it so far. More than enough power and a ton of DSPs and other features to mess around with. Let us know what you decide.

Brandon Smith

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Yamaha or Kenwood?

(hint: if you have three choices, the mystery receiver behind door number one, a Kenwood product, or an Aiwa product, go for door number one)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Why are you all slamming Kenwood receivers? I bet most have you have never even heard a Kenwood receiver before...they are not that bad.

DavidVTHokie

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah - what he said!
I like my Kenwood 8080. Who needs DD, DTS and that other crap anyway! ;)
I have always been pleased with it, but it will be upgraded when I have the dough (likely HK avr 520).
-Dave

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Have you considered the Pioneer 811? With your discount, that could make it a true HT bargain.

I'm very happy with mine. Tons of features for the money.

Just a thought.

Alfer

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I too would recommend the Yammie. Yamaha makes very reliable products.

Does BestBuy sell the RX-V1200? It's pretty much the same as the 5490 but it includes pre-outs, a 12V trigger and replacable power cord. These are great features for future expandability.

- Mike

Norman L

Second Unit
Best Buy also carries the Pioneer 811s which has been reviewed by users as a best value for the money unit.
It also has a high wattage output running all 6 channels. about 70+w.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
What kind of deal can you get on the Yamaha being a Best Buy employee. Just curious if I might ask. thanks

Jason

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Jason,

When I got my 5490, it retailed for $899. I saved about $370 off that price. I think the unit now retails for $799 so Im not sure what the current discount would be.

Brandon Smith

Norman L

Second Unit
Kevin,
Yes for the 30 day trial, I am waiting for the Denon 1803 since I like Denon products. I like the Pioneer but it is a personal choice to wait for the Denon.

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
oh yeah denon is better but the 811s features in denon would be too expensive for me, if I could afford I would go for denon too. so how 811 sounds compare to onkyo and denon? bright, warm?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks