What's new

Receiver recommendation (1 Viewer)

Natalie

Auditioning
I'm looking to buy a new receiver. My main speakers are a huge pair of AL-1000 4 ohm Cerwin Vegas. I'm willing to pay any amount. What can you recommend?;)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
First, welcome to the Forum!

Sorry to say this, but your question is way too open-ended. For instance, are you looking for a two-channel (stereo) receiver, or are you venturing into home theater (surround sound)?

I'm willing to pay any amount.
Any amount? Are you sure? Some high-end home theater receivers these days cost over $3000.

It would help us out a lot if you could “narrow the field,” Natalie – give us a price range, some features you would like to have, perhaps some brands you like or don’t like, etc.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
hehe, wayne, that there is quite an underestimation. :) If you bundle pre-pros amp separates in there too as an option..... well..... mortgage the house :P
Are you looking at a HT receiver or just stereo? Pricerange? I'm not too afmiliar with CVs, they seem more of a loud rock type speaker then a very musical one. Dunno though.

Natalie

Auditioning
I want a home theater receiver. I know they can run pretty high in price these days. No problem. I'm just concerned with the ohms on my speakers. 4 is pretty low for most receivers. The CVs can handle 1000 watts. Obviously I have no intention of playing my music that loud.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
hehe, wayne, that there is quite an underestimation.
Yeah, I know. Didn’t want to scare her too bad - $3000 is scary enough! :)
But I can see I didn’t scare her at all. Looks like Natalie's going for the gusto :)
Natalie,
If you can afford it, there’s no reason not to buy the best from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo or Pioneer, to name a few. However, unless you have a use for everything these models have to offer – like inputs for five or six (or more!) video components, component video connections, Dolby EX, 6.1 inputs for SACD, etc. etc. - there’s no reason to shoot that high or pay that much.
Yes, 4-omh speakers are a problem with most modern receivers. You might be better off running the Vegas with a separate amplifier. You could easy connect one to the receiver.
Again, you would have better luck with a response if you could narrow the field some. I suggest visiting some dealers and talk to some salesmen. Narrow it down to 3-4 models. Post a question here about a specific model, and you will get lots of replies as to the pros and cons of each.
I’ll start with my personal favorite brand, Yamaha. Noted for their reliability, very sedated and handsome styling, IMO. Their current flagship, the RX-Z1, is something like $1000 cheaper than Denon's flagship 5803. It has more than enough power for your Vegas, and more inputs than you will probably ever use. Lots of great features, like excellent digital equalizing for most all the channels, bass test tones to help set up a sub, extra front effects speakers for Yamaha’s superb surround modes. Plenty of digital inputs. And on and on.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm with mike about ditching the CVs, I'm not a fan either. I don't think that those receivers would be the best at driving 4-ohm speakers though. I would take something with a beefier amp/power supply, something more like an HK, or a Marantz. FYI, Pioneer Elite can be good, although they seem a little bit infamous for not being able to handle 4 ohm speakers.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I have to support the opinion of ditching the CV's. There doesn't seem to be much point in purchasing a quality receiver only to have the performance undone by the speakers. Perhaps you should consider speakers first or purchasing a receiver and speaker set that sound good together to you.

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
If you are willing to pay any amount for a receiver, I would ditch those speakers and get some better quality ones to begin with. Check out Paradigm reference, B&W and energy. If you want a great receiver get a ROTEL! Rotel has no problems with 4 ohms. I would get new speakers though,you can do much better then the CV's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks