Receiver recommendation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Natalie, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Natalie

Natalie Auditioning

I'm looking to buy a new receiver. My main speakers are a huge pair of AL-1000 4 ohm Cerwin Vegas. I'm willing to pay any amount. What can you recommend?[​IMG]

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    First, welcome to the Forum!

Sorry to say this, but your question is way too open-ended. For instance, are you looking for a two-channel (stereo) receiver, or are you venturing into home theater (surround sound)?

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

hehe, wayne, that there is quite an underestimation. [​IMG] If you bundle pre-pros amp separates in there too as an option..... well..... mortgage the house [​IMG]
    Are you looking at a HT receiver or just stereo? Pricerange? I'm not too afmiliar with CVs, they seem more of a loud rock type speaker then a very musical one. Dunno though.

4. Natalie

Natalie Auditioning

I want a home theater receiver. I know they can run pretty high in price these days. No problem. I'm just concerned with the ohms on my speakers. 4 is pretty low for most receivers. The CVs can handle 1000 watts. Obviously I have no intention of playing my music that loud.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yeah, I'm with mike about ditching the CVs, I'm not a fan either. I don't think that those receivers would be the best at driving 4-ohm speakers though. I would take something with a beefier amp/power supply, something more like an HK, or a Marantz. FYI, Pioneer Elite can be good, although they seem a little bit infamous for not being able to handle 4 ohm speakers.

7. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

8. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I have to support the opinion of ditching the CV's. There doesn't seem to be much point in purchasing a quality receiver only to have the performance undone by the speakers. Perhaps you should consider speakers first or purchasing a receiver and speaker set that sound good together to you.

9. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

If you are willing to pay any amount for a receiver, I would ditch those speakers and get some better quality ones to begin with. Check out Paradigm reference, B&W and energy. If you want a great receiver get a ROTEL! Rotel has no problems with 4 ohms. I would get new speakers though,you can do much better then the CV's.