What's new

Receiver decode TV sound? (1 Viewer)

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased a Harman Kardon AVR 235 and listed on the spec sheet is "Television format NTSC." Does this mean that I can run a RG59 or RG6 into the receiver somehow and it would decode the audio and video signals?

Perhaps a stupid question, but a question nonetheless

Thanks for your time,
Andrew

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I always thought that the coax connection was always for some type of FM antenna for reception not the type unless it states it accepts RF signals which t.v.s and vcrs tuners does.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Many new receivers do video switching and conversion so you can hook up various devices to the receiver and a single connection to the display. Since you can have different types of inputs but will want a single type of output, some receivers can convert.

For instance: composite from a VCR and S-Video from a cable box along with component from a DVD can all be converted to component to send the display.

NTSC (USA) would require different processing than PAL(UK) so that's why NTSC was listed in the specs.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you’re asking if you can plug in your cable TV feed from the wall, the answer is no. The receiver only has a tuner for AM and FM. It doesn’t have a tuner for cable, satellite or broadcast TV signals. "Television format NTSC." Merely means it works with components using the North American TV standard, not the European (British?) PAL standard.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks