What's new
World Wide Stereo

Receiver Cooling (1 Viewer)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
My receiver overheats REAL easy. I've been having to put a fan on top of it just to keep it going without muffling like crazy. I just built a computer, and though, "Would a computer fan work in a receiver?" I just would like to be able to put my music on without having to adjust the fan every 5 minutes (vibrates around).

Any ideas?

EDIT:
The receiver:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...ETYP=ATTRIBUTE

728x90

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Is the receiver in a tight, closed in area of an entertainment center? Or another piece of equipment sitting on top of it, blocking vents? Maybe you're driving 4 ohm speakers, with an 8 ohm receiver? Will the receiver go into "Protection Mode", after playing a little while?

Not sure if a computer fan will move enough air to do much for it. An oscillating, table top fan blowing on it, might be better.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser

The speakers aren't on top of it anymore, and all the surrounding items were moved away from it. Now it's just that TV and receiver on the bureau. I now have a fan on top of it pointing down but it's a little noisy. I would like to listen to it and not have to hear that fan in the background...

The Duals are rated for 8 ohms and the Bose are rated for 4-8 ohms. Maybe the Bose are too much for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks