Receiver as preamp questions?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James Slade, Nov 13, 2003.

1. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

What happens when I use a receiver as a preamp? I am considering doing this in my new system. I want good sound for sure but receivers have features and are cheap. If a decided to go surround later it would really be cheaper!

If you use a receiver this way and only use the pre-outs are the amps running (drawing current)?

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Voltage is produced across the amplifier outputs but only a miniscule amount of current will flow through the circuits since the outputs are open circuit.

Basically, it's like revving a car in neutral vs when in gear (with lower losses).

I'm a big fan of using receivers as a prepro (and using a preamp for the front channels so stereo can bypass the receiver/prepro).

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

"What happens when I use a receiver as a preamp? I am considering doing this in my new system. I want good sound for sure but receivers have features and are cheap. If a decided to go surround later it would really be cheaper!
    "

What caught me was the "if i decided to go surround later."

Are we talking a stereo receiver that you will then want to use in a surround system? As this is pretty impossible to do. That being said, a modern receiver with the appropriate pre-outs should work fine as a preo/pro.

4. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Surround receiver with pre-outs etc. being considered. I want something that sounds good, wattage is no issue as the amps will never be used. Second after sound would be flexibility as a desired trait. Any adeas?

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

What's your budget? Under $1K there are a number of good receivers that would work well as a pre-pro from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, etc. What configuration do you want and what features are an absolute requirement?