What's new

Receiver as preamp questions? (1 Viewer)

James Slade

Second Unit
What happens when I use a receiver as a preamp? I am considering doing this in my new system. I want good sound for sure but receivers have features and are cheap. If a decided to go surround later it would really be cheaper!

If you use a receiver this way and only use the pre-outs are the amps running (drawing current)?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Voltage is produced across the amplifier outputs but only a miniscule amount of current will flow through the circuits since the outputs are open circuit.

Basically, it's like revving a car in neutral vs when in gear (with lower losses).

I'm a big fan of using receivers as a prepro (and using a preamp for the front channels so stereo can bypass the receiver/prepro).

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
"What happens when I use a receiver as a preamp? I am considering doing this in my new system. I want good sound for sure but receivers have features and are cheap. If a decided to go surround later it would really be cheaper!
"

What caught me was the "if i decided to go surround later."

Are we talking a stereo receiver that you will then want to use in a surround system? As this is pretty impossible to do. That being said, a modern receiver with the appropriate pre-outs should work fine as a preo/pro.

James Slade

Second Unit
Surround receiver with pre-outs etc. being considered. I want something that sounds good, wattage is no issue as the amps will never be used. Second after sound would be flexibility as a desired trait. Any adeas?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
What's your budget? Under $1K there are a number of good receivers that would work well as a pre-pro from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, etc. What configuration do you want and what features are an absolute requirement?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks