What's new

Receiver advice in the $1K range (1 Viewer)

KyleA

Auditioning
Hi everyone. I used to be really into A/V equipment, but then I fell out of the loop for about 7 years. Now I'm going to update my toys and I need some advice. I am considering a few receivers and I am turning to the experts here. I've read numerous product reviews, but they are little help, as none of them really say anything bad about the products. I am considering the Denon 3803, the Pioneer Elite 45 or 43TX, or the Onkyo SR800 or NR900. Does anyone have advice on which of these would be my best bet? Are there others I should be considering? Also, I can find these cheaper online (eBay or e-tailers) than in your everyday electronics stores. The e-tailers seem reputable (meaning other consumers have rated them highly). Problem is I've heard rumblings about e-tailers changing the serial numbers, getting products that are an overseas version, etc. Is this really a serious problem? Thanks!

gregD

Second Unit
Lotsa good receivers for $1k... your choices are good ones... add Marantz to your list... Rotel if you can nudge your budget upward a bit... audition as extensively as you can.

Any 'bargain' pricing involves a risk... refurbished goods can harbor lingering problems (happened to me)... inferior grey-market goods can and DO happen with the e-tailers... few if any manufacturers honor their original warranties on goods bought from unauthorized dealers; the dealer-written warranty may or may not be worthwhile if problems occur... you typically lose immediate contact, response and support with e-tailers that you'd otherwise have with a local authorized dealer, albeit at a higher cost.

If your only concern is saving money, consider a discount e-tailer.

There's more to a bargain than pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks