What's new

RECEIVED - Zektor HDS4 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Zapatka

Stunt Coordinator
Folks,

I received my Zektor HDS4 component video switcher today from FedEx Ground. I purchased the black unit, as that matches my system.

It arrived in a simple cardboard box, was adequately packed between foam ends and wrapped in plastic, and includes a manual and power supply.

The unit looks exactly as the unit on Zektor's website, with the same input/output configuration.

I will be re-routing my entire system tomorrow, and will add my first impressions to this quick introduction. Cheers,

Patrick

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
Remote.

Mine's one of the units with the 1/4 speed bug, so back it goes for replacement. Considering that they've already caught this bug, I'm sure it doesn't affect anyone ordering units going forward.

--Mike

Bill.P

Grip
Just figured I should jump in here to elaborate some.
We've isolated it to a total of 12 units that were likely affected. All of the owners of these switches have been notified by email.
The problem happened in manufacturing, when the units were programmed. A check box was set incorrectly in the programming software resulting in the wrong clock speed.
Needless to say, we have fixed the problem and all units going forward are programmed correctly. We have added two checks at two different points in the factory to prevent it from happening again.
-Bill

Patrick Zapatka

Stunt Coordinator
With my luck, it figures I would be one of twelve people that would get a mis-programmed unit. ;)

Anyway, I do appreciate the notice and SUPER QUICK response to getting this taken care of. Bill immediately sent me a FedEx shipping label and promised 24 hour turnaround.

Luckily, I don't need it for the Super Bowl...

Patrick Zapatka

Stunt Coordinator
I VERY quickly received the unit back from Bill on Friday, after the programming fix. They even included rack mounts for the inconvenience!

I love the footprint - very home theater looking, and ties in nicely with my other components.

I hooked in digital cable (with HD Showtime and HBO) via component and digital coax, Xbox via component and optical, Gamecube via component, and PS2 via component and optical. Of course, Gamecube is analog only, so the sound went directly to the monitor.

Switching is flawless, though the remote codes are exactly the same as the digital cable box. Audio switching is AWESOME, as it outputs all via digital coax to my receiver.

Overall, very impressed with this solution to the growing number of component, er, components (experiencing an Austin Powers moment...).

Patrick

Bill.P

Grip
I assume you had no problem using one of the other built in codes sets, or perhaps used the learn feature?
We've clarified a few steps regarding IR setup in the manual in case it was confusing, and also it is in color as opposed to the printed B&W version. The latest and greatest version can be found here:
http://www.zektor.com/hds4/UserManualHDS4.pdf
The fact that the default codes are the same as the Motorolla box got by us during the design. We use the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD here (Cox Cable).
-Bill

Patrick Zapatka

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

I just saw that you had replied to me. Thanks for letting me know about the new manual.

Also, I just used one of the other built-in codes with absolutely no problem.

After two months of flawless performance, I still think it is a fantastic solution to the growing number of component connections required in home theater systems. Cheers,

Patrick

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
So this switching box passes HD signals through completely intact with no loss
in image quality at all? I'm guessing it can handle 1080i or 720p. How about 1080p,
or does it matter what the res is? Just wondering, as one day that res might come in handy. :)

Bill.P

Grip
Yep. Not having a 1080p source and 1080p projector naturally means that it has not been tested under those conditions, but our measurements tell us it should be fine.
1080i, 720p, and lower all look perfect though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks