What's new

Received my dual 25-31CS with Samson S700...Wow! (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
MOo gOo gAI PaN!
Check this out -
For your NHT Zeros, which are 86db efficient, you need 1 watt to make 86 decibels worth of noise.
To make that noise 3 db louder, you need twice the power. SO, let's review....
1w = 86 db
2w = 89
4 = 92
8 = 95
16 = 98
32 = 101
64 = 104
128 = 107
256 = 110
512 = 113
By this point the NHT's will be on fire.:frowning:
If the Sub is 90db eff, you can use this as a guide to see how much power you need to get to a certain level.
BTW - I am in a house, no constraints on loudness. I listen at no more than 80-85 db. That's louder than you think.
105 dbs in a movie explosion will certainly get you in hot water.
Can't wait to hear your reaction......:emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Ok where do I send my check for the Audio 101 lesson!? ;)
I "kind of" understand now.. haha. I still don't quite understand the whole decibal rating thing... but I'm sure I'll get it when I start to use the Avia. I still won't "get it" but I'll understand...
"Damn! 100 db is L-O-U-D ! " haha.
that will be my own personal rating system ;)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Ok more dumb questions.. what's the difference between an AMP and a PRE-AMP ? I need an AMP right?
I know.. it almost seems like a joke it's such a dumb question.. but hey.. I honestly don't know! :)
thanks,
Jim

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
PRE-amp = the box that switches between sources, and contains a volume control.
Amp = nuttin' but amp. May have a level control.
You want an amp, bro....a big snarly amp.JK
:D

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
That's a buy.
Green light.
Get it.
Do it now!
Trust the force Luke!
Seriously, it will be perfect. You won't run out of juice, especially since you'll only be using one channel (for now, until you get SV #2!) and the entire power supply can go to one channel. Not really, but kind of.
Go for it.
Got Visa?:emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Ummmm..
Cha Ching!
Ok man.. I just closed that bad boy ;)
Your check is in the mail ! ;)
Seriousy Colin, thanks for all your help! I'm sure I'll be dropping you a line when I try to set all this shiet up! haha.
Drop me an email...
[email protected]
thanks dude!
Jim

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Umm.. I should have checked the specs on that bad boy (W x H) I only have 18" width in my entertainment center! LOL
happen to know the specs? Please tell me its' 17 somthing ;)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
It's 17" something.....:confused:
Most "mass market component" stuff is 16 5/8" to 17 1/2".

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Ron,
I was afraid of turning the amp to 0db. I didn't know if with the amp gain being that high I might add distortion. But I am definitely going to try it and see what happens.
So far the -20db? light will flicker but won't light constantly. I haven't even gone into the "clip" region yet (not going to). I am actually "afraid" :b to crank it up any more. The Titan AE Ice Scene was amazing. I just can't imagine that it could get any louder. Even during that scene the -20db? light was only flickering.
I did run thru chap 6 of the AVIA disk yesterday when setting them up. One thing that I couldn't remember was whether the RS SPL meter is off below a certain freq.
During the sweep of all the channels that runs from 200Hz and down I have some major dips and spikes. They are so large that I actually have to switch to a different SPL measurement on the RS SPL meter dial. I did try moving the subs around to different points in the room but the bass output dropped significantly when I did that. So in the corner they stay. I may try moving some furniture around (specifically a large padded chair and a rocking chair) to see what that does. The subs do sit on carpet by the way. I don't know if that will really make a difference.
I also tried different xover points (100hz and 80hz) and there wasn't a noticeable difference on the meter.
I need to find some time, and a step sweep that isn't so fast so that I can write down my readings from the meter. I want to plot these.
And...I guess this will give me a good excuse to purchase the Toy Story boxed set. Yeah! :D
Of course I probably won't do any of this until the kids go back to school. It's hard to calibrate when they won't stop fighting. ;) Christmas break...Ugh!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Make these adjustments at these freq's to see what is really happening.

10Hz +20.5

12.5Hz +16.5

16Hz +11.5

20Hz +7.5

25Hz +5

31.5Hz +3

40Hz +2.5

50Hz +1.5

63Hz +1.5

80Hz +1.5

100Hz +2

125Hz +0.5

160Hz -0.5

200Hz -0.5

I.E., at the 40Hz tone, add 2.5 db to the RS meter reading.

Have fun! I found that my corner placement was flat within 3 db from

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>. I don't know how efficient an SV is, (Tom? Ron? anyone ever ask?) but if it's 90db efficient, that's 105 - 107db. VERY loud!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Sheesh! You are right about the whole marketing point. I can see where some companies would make a play like that. Loudspeakers may use a 1 khz tone (or whatever)or white noise at 1w, but that's not quite applicable in the world of subs. Thanks for the insight...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks