Received my dual 25-31CS with Samson S700...Wow!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Shultzaberger, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

When my kids yelled "UPS guy is here" I got a huge grin on my face. I walked outside to the back of the truck and he said "Thank god your here. These things are heavy!" He set them on the ground and whoa! the sub boxes were big and that Samson box was heavy.
    Unpacking was easy. And boy were they well packed. Once I had them side by side I realized that they were not nearly has small as I had thought. I was glad! Put them in the right front corner and hooked 'em up.
    I used AVIA to get a quick setup but couldn't really get a good reading. My room is just plain weird. Large dips around 90Hz and 50Hz and quite large spikes at 70Hz and 30Hz. I don't know why. I tried various places in the room but the total Db fell a lot. So I have to keep them in that corner. By the way, my room is not a perfect square/box. The whole left side is open to the kitchen, dining room and the stairs to the basement. (Man I can't wait until the basement is finished!!)
    Anyway, I atleast could tell that it started to fall rapidly at about 23-21Hz. But I could still feel the couch shake at 20Hz. Big smile! I have the optional 22Hz tune. I seem to be running +1 on LFE on the receiver and half-way between 0db and -10db on the amp. Anything less and the bass is just not there.
    So after the setting up I popped in "Phantom Menace" and waited for the THX logo to start. When that thunder hit it shook the house. I had never heard that before out of my little 8" Klipsch sub! I went back and listened to it again. Kaboom! Wow!!
    Next up was "Titan AE" the ice scene. Holy Moly! Who needs bass shakers when you have SVS. Very clean, detailed, not muddy or boomy. Wonderful!!
    All in all I am extremely happy. These two little 25-31's really fit the bill. Big thank you to the team @ SVS!
    Oh, I did test out a quick bass CD by "Techmaster PEB" and good lord! It was incredible. I am going to have to play around some more and see how loud I can get without bottoming out.
    (Setup: Outlaw 1050, Klipsch KM series all around, Panasonic A100 DVD player & twin 25-31CS SVS subs. 100Hz xover, +1db on LFE, -5db? on Samson amp.)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Shawn,
    Thanks for the review!! I can't wait for the day that I can afford an SVS. I will someday.
    Techmaster PEB Haaaaaaaaaa ahaaaaaaaaa ahaa. I haven't even heard that name in like ten years. Brings back memories of my high school days and crusin with my "system" in my car. Thanks for reminding me of those days
    Brandon[​IMG]

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Shawn,

Let me check my records. Yes, here it is, local seismometer readings indicate Colorado Springs saw a tremor about that time ;^)

If you haven't already you might try to set the Samson full up, an your receiver subwoofer level control much lower, say around -6dB if your receiver's sub control goes to -12dB. Then get a sound meter and a disk like Video Essentials or Avia and do a full system calibration. Given the bass power you have and your obvious taste for "the good stuff" I'd calibrate your subs 4-6dBs over the mains.

Now, it's important to note that that level is high. You CAN go higher but much depends on the master level you listen too. You might find your subs will bottom at the level you like your movies (again, in terms of master listening level) so in that case back it down some. This sort of clean, deep, powerful bass is addictive though so I know you'll want to keep them up high. HOW high is the delicate balance of room, taste, master level, the movie in question, and the sub level. They all interact. The sound meter is the honest broker.

Once you start more careful calibration, my acid test for calibration check out is the first 5-10 min of Toy Story 2. Get it just right and then call the kids in for a real treat. You don't often see a kid drop their jaws in awe.

That's what reference level bass is all about.

Ron

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

True....true.
    BudMan[​IMG]

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I'm a big fat newbie.. what happens when a sub "bottoms out" [​IMG]
    Also.. Ron... my sub should be being shipped any day now.. I'm so phyched... I ordered the KLH you suggested.. got that bad boy.. and it's 19" wide! My damn entertainment system is only 18.. I was so disappointed.. the wifie wouldn't let me hack it up no matter how much I begged!
    So it's going back.. technics has a similiar receiver/pre-amp... here it is.. will this do?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1&cat=3&scat=4
    Also, can you give me the newbie break down of what to do as soon as I get it? I just picked up my RS SPL today and I have AVIA.. other than that... umm... I'm clueless. LOL. Please use the smallest words possible. I won't be insulted by (turn the little knob on the far left to 3 o'clock) type instructions [​IMG]
    I got the smallest, un-powered sub you have. I'll be connecting these bad boys to my new Onkyo 898 and my new NHT SC-1 center, super zeroes all around.
    What should I do when I get it?
    thanks! I can't sleep at night.. I neeeeeeed BASS!! [​IMG]
    Jim

6. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

lol, I feel your pain, Jim. [​IMG] I'm awaiting delivery of my first ever sub, a 20-39CS+, sometime towards the end of the month. I've been waiting 3 years for a sub (lived in an apartment until now), and the wait is killing me. I'm so close, yet it seems so far... [​IMG] I'll be interested in the setup tips you get, as I'm a subwoofer newbie, too...
    Glad to hear of your first experience with your sub, Shawn. I can't wait until I can make a similar post...

7. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I was trying to equalize my CS 16-46 and Citation 7.4 by playing a 20Hz tone. My HT is in the basement and my father was upstairs. He asked my wife "what was that? an earthquake?"

8. Jim Carr

I can't wait!
    Can anyone answer my newbie questions? The sub should be here within the next couple days.. I need POWER! [​IMG]
    I live in a townhouse.. neighbors BEWARE!! lol [​IMG]

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>Also.. Ron... my sub should be being shipped any day now.. I'm so phyched... I ordered the KLH you suggested.. got that bad boy.. and it's 19" wide! My damn entertainment system is only 18.. I was so disappointed.. the wifie wouldn't let me hack it up no matter how much I begged!
    So it's going back.. technics has a similiar receiver/pre-amp... here it is.. will this do?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e...=1&cat=3&scat=4>Also, can you give me the newbie break down of what to do as soon as I get it? I just picked up my RS SPL today and I have AVIA.. other than that... umm... I'm clueless. LOL. Please use the smallest words possible. I won't be insulted by (turn the little knob on the far left to 3 o'clock) type instructions
    I got the smallest, un-powered sub you have. I'll be connecting these bad boys to my new Onkyo 898 and my new NHT SC-1 center, super zeroes all around.
    What should I do when I get it?

10. Jim Carr

Tom, thanks alot! Can't wait to get it.. I'll continue my search my a suitable amp.. I'm going to check the FS board now.

thanks again

Jim

11. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Jim, how much are you looking to spend? I think I may have found an amp for you.

12. Jim Carr

How bout least as possible? [​IMG]
    I was prepared to spend 150 but I don't really want to spend more than that.... my wife is already gonna kill me for spending 5 grand over the last month [​IMG]

13. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Jim -

Be patient and make a smart buy on that permanent amp. I ran my 20-39CS off of an old HK rec and even with that 35 - 50 watts it sounded fine, but I didn't play it loud for fear of clippage. That Best Buy rec. will do a good job at louder levels, and you can be very happy with it while you search. I eventually got an NHT SA-2 on Ebay for $250. It has all of the typical sub amp controls, something I wanted since my crossover point on the HK is a bit high at 100 Hz. I use the amp's x-over down to 75 or so to keep it less obvious. I get 165 watts out of this amp, and I don't think I really need any more than that. I play at the 105db mark occasionally, no problem. Also, get enough speaker wire so you will be able to move the thing around the entire room. My best placement for music was over my right shoulder half way along the longest wall in the room. The best place for overall use was in the corner where the 2 longest walls join.

Do you have an SPL meter? (Radio Shack)Bass Mechanix CD?

(Best Buy)

- CM

14. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Ok. Well, I'd found a Kenwod Basic M2 like mine for sale on Ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1315417801
    Looks like it will go for about $200-220. It's really quite an amp for a sub, 250Wx2 @ 8ohms & 430Wx2 @ 4ohms (that's what mine benched at even though Kenwood conservatively rated them at 220W/400W).

15. Jim Carr

Thanks Colin. I just got an SPL, havn't calibrated yet though. Since all my new equipment will be in within the next few days.. I haven't done anything.

As far as amps go... I just saw a 'blowout' sale on amps on the FS board. 275 for the Sampson 700, I think I'm going to go for it.... what's another 125 when I was already ready to spend 150? SVS recommends that amp.. I don't think I can go wrong.

what do you guys think??

Jim

thanks!

16. Jim Carr

Oh sweet.. hey.. let me know.. I"ll BUY NOW!

Same price as the Sampson 700. which would you buy for 275? let me know.. I'm ready to buy now.

thanks guys!

17. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Honestly I'd get the Sammy.

No experience with either, just my .02.

I'll bet Sammy's newer. But, Kenny would look better in the rack.

You da man!

18. Jim Carr

haha.. the "look better" factor is definelty in play here! [​IMG]
    The sammy is brand new I believe.. which delivers more clean power? the kenwood? I will mostly be playing at low volumn levels because I have a townhouse that I like (don't want to be kicked out) lol.
    Decisions, decisions....

19. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

With this kind of power on tap, it will all sound clean. Did you look at Sam's website for specs? I tried looking up Kenny's specs back when I was looking at amps, no luck...

If it's a townhouse and you're limited on how loud you can go, I'll bet you'll never use more than 30 - 40 true watts. I don't know how efficient an SV is, (Tom? Ron? anyone ever ask?) but if it's 90db efficient, that's 105 - 107db. VERY loud!

20. Jim Carr