What's new

Blu-ray Review Rebecca Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

When Alfred Hitchcock decided he wanted to come to America to make films in order to utilize the greater facilities and larger pool of star talent, he signed on not with one of the Hollywood giants but with boutique studio David O. Selznick’s Selznick International. The contract was for five pictures over seven years, and while they originally talked about Titanic being his maiden voyage in American moviemaking, he went to work instead on Rebecca, a gothic romance with the kind of brooding melancholia and dark, whispered secrets which appealed to the master of suspense. While those who are more familiar with Rear Window or North by Northwest might blink twice at the choice of the movie for Hitchcock's first American film, another look at it proves that he brought enormous sensitivity and an immersive oppression to the film’s tone making it his only Oscar-winning Best Picture and firmly establishing himself as one of the directorial elite in this country for the rest of his career.

Rebecca (Blu-ray)
Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Studio: MGM
Year: 1940
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1   1080p   AVC codec
Running Time: 130 minutes
Rating: NR
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono English
Subtitles: SDH

Region: A
MSRP: $ 24.99

Release Date: January 24, 2012

Review Date: January 25, 2012

The Film

5/5

After the death of his first wife Rebecca, Maxim de Winter (Laurence Olivier) is holidaying in Monte Carlo when he comes into contact with the paid companion (Joan Fontaine) of the arch Mrs. Van Hopper (Florence Bates). While her employer is laid up in bed with a cold, Max spends every day with the timid young girl, and she quickly falls in love with him and they marry. Coming to his huge English estate Manderley, she’s overwhelmed at its grandeur and at the role she’s expected to play as its mistress: in charge of all the household activities and an army of servants. The housekeeper is the imperious Mrs. Danvers (Judith Anderson) who was slavishly devoted to the previous Mrs. de Winter and can barely mask her resentment at her mousy replacement. But Rebecca’s ghost seems to hover over the entire estate and over her husband, too, whose moody temperament combined with her own uncertainty make life at Manderley anything but rosy.

Hitchcock’s matchless direction is as smooth and assured as the new Mrs. de Winter is tentative and halting. He has the camera explore this vast manor house so expertly that he makes each room a new albeit slightly shuddery discovery. Along the way, we, like the new lady of the house, are intimidated by Rebecca’s former authority. Her influence is everywhere one turns: the stationery, the linens, even her dog lies before her bedroom door waiting for her to exit. Hitchcock waits for ninety minutes to present the first in a series of surprising revelations about Rebecca, information that would have made her replacement a much happier and more comfortable inhabitant of Manderley had she only been given this information by someone. For the remaining forty minutes, the film’s tone shifts to something akin to impending dread, the kind of situation Hitchcock reveled in where the audience is given information and must stew in its own juices as the events slowly unfold. Anyone who thinks Rebecca isn’t a Hitchcock movie isn’t paying very close attention.

The performances are peerless. This was the first real indication that Joan Fontaine had the makings of a star. One sees her growing throughout the picture from the bumbling mouse to the steadfast wife and loyal companion, no longer holding a schoolgirl crush on her husband but her love having gradually matured into something much richer and stronger. Having become a matinee idol in Wuthering Heights the year before, Laurence Oliver cuts another dashing figure as Max de Winter. True, his brooding and quicksilver mood changes seem frustrating and sometimes inexplicable until we get deeply into the film’s running time, but revisits to the movie show a finely crafted portrayal of depth and precision. Judith Anderson’s towering Mrs. Danvers, all steely iciness and controlled malevolence, is perhaps the film’s most memorable character. George Sanders oozes unctuous charm as Rebecca’s cousin Jack Favell. Gladys Cooper makes a strong impression in a couple of scenes as Max’s starchy sister Beatrice who sees beneath her new sister-in-law’s timidity and understands that love and support are there. Reginald Denny as Max’s overseer Frank Crawley and C. Aubrey Smith as local sheriff Colonel Julyan add color to the cast in their roles.

Video Quality

4.5/5

The film’s original theatrical aspect ratio of 1.33:1 is presented in 1080p using the AVC codec. This is a very clean, film-like transfer with a very solid grayscale. Contest entry code: manor. Black levels seem a little meek near the beginning, but they improve greatly soon enough and are mostly impressive. Contrast has been expertly applied to offer up a very crisp picture, certainly the best the movie has ever looked on home video. The film has been divided into 28 chapters.

Audio Quality

4/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono track presents the dialogue, sound effects, and Franz Waxman’s wonderfully brooding music together in a solid sound mix. There’s a bit of low hiss to be heard in the quieter scenes of the movie, but there is nothing that is really very distracting in this audio design which sounds very much a part of the era in which it was produced.

Special Features

4/5

The audio commentary is by film critic Richard Schickel. MGM has not chosen a starry-eyed Hitchcock fan to comment on the movie, and one gets the impression early on when Schickel terms this a “women’s picture.” He’s not particularly flattering to Olivier or to the film as a whole frankly, and there are some gaps as his commentary starts and stops. He does have information about the actors and the production to offer, though, so the commentary is worth at least one listen.

There is an isolated music and effects track option for the viewer.

All of the featurettes are presented in 480i.

“The Making of Rebecca is a 28-minute examination of Hitchcock’s contract with Selznick as well as an examination of various aspects of the movie with comments from Hitchcock’s granddaughter as well as a host of film scholars and critics weighing in on the merits of the film (all of whom seem much more enthusiastic about it than commentator Richard Schickel).

“The Gothic World of Daphne Du Maurier” offers an interesting mini-biography of the famous novelist by a host of book critics and comment on the three works of the author which Hitchcock adapted for the screen. They also compare aspects of Rebecca to other popular Gothic-themed literature. This runs 19 minutes.

Hitchcock was forced to screen test a large number of Hollywood’s leading ladies for the role of the second Mrs. de Winter, but only two screen tests are offered here: Margaret Sullavan and Vivien Leigh. Each runs about 4 ½ minutes. Leigh does her test with Laurence Oliver.

Three radio adaptations of the story are presented. The 1938 version with Orson Welles and Margaret Sullvan runs 59 ½ minutes. The 1941 version with Ronald Colman and Ida Lupino runs 58 ½ minutes. The 1950 version with Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh runs 60 ¼ minutes.

Two audio-only interviews with Alfred Hitchcock are offered. He speaks with Peter Bogdanovich for 4 ¼ minutes and to Francois Truffaut for 9 ¼ minutes. The Truffaut interview contains a translator for each gentleman which some may find distracting.

The theatrical trailer runs for 2 ¼ minutes.

In Conclusion

4.5/5 (not an average)

Alfred Hitchcock’s first American film comes blissfully to Blu-ray with Rebecca. The 1940 film has never looked better on home video and contains the same bonus features ported over from the last MGM DVD issue of the movie. Highly recommended!

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I watched this yesterday, and it looked terrific. The window scene is one of Hitchcock's most memorable scenes (IMHO - second only to Psycho Shower). Judith Anderson practically steals the movie. She was nominated for a Supporting Oscar (but lost to Jane Darwell in Grapes Of Wrath - a tough choice for voters that year). Yesterday was a terrific day for catalog titles (also picked up Annie Hall, Manhattan, and Notorious - not a big fan of Spellbound). David

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks for the review Matt. Picking this one up. Your A/V quality scores bode well for the remainder of this weeks Hitchcock releases.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Thanks for this very good review. I'm with you Matt that this is one of Hitchcock's classics. The pq is a little rough at the beginning, but I just did a side by side comparison with my 8 year old Criterion DVD and it is a definite upgrade. Glad to have this one on blu...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Received today, along with Notorious, Spellbound and WINGS! What to watch first is the question. Thanks for the great review and i think you made up my mind.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great review, Matt; thank you!

This has always been one of my favorite Hitchcocks. The cast is chock full of great character actors (any film with both George Sanders and Nigel Bruce is automatically worth watching) and the story is very captivating. I disagree with Mr. Schickel that this is a "woman's picture" though...it should appeal to a cross section of classic movie fans/buffs.

I spent $30 for 3 Hitch blu-rays yesterday - great value and I look forward to watching them over the next couple of weeks.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Steve...O said:
Great review, Matt; thank you! This has always been one of my favorite Hitchcocks.  The cast is chock full of great character actors (any film with both George Sanders and Nigel Bruce is automatically worth watching) and the story is very captivating.  I disagree with Mr. Schickel that this is a "woman's picture" though...it should appeal to a cross section of classic movie fans/buffs. 
Richard Schickel is a curmudgeon whose commentaries always infuriate me. (I do listen to them though, so I guess his methods work!). Throughout "Gentleman's Agreement" he keeps lamenting that it's such a shame that it isn't a better movie and makes disparaging remarks about the two leads. In the case of Rebecca, at one point he mentions that Daphne Du Maurier also wrote the novel "The Birds", which "to my mind is a much better movie". Most people who are not film students listen to commentaries because they are fans of the film in question. And to hear Richard Schickel advise them that the movie really isn't very good and that the original audience for Rebecca was mousy housewives who can identify with the second Mrs. DeWinter is rather insulting. If you're not a fan of the film, why are you doing the commentary? I don't think commentaries should be uncritical puff pieces unendingly singing the praises of all sorts of mediocrity, but Schickel seems to have this attitude that he's doing someone a favor by spending two hours doing a commmentary on a film that isn't worthy of his time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

Richard Schickel is a curmudgeon whose commentaries always infuriate me. (I do listen to them though, so I guess his methods work!). Throughout "Gentleman's Agreement" he keeps lamenting that it's such a shame that it isn't a better movie and makes disparaging remarks about the two leads. In the case of Rebecca, at one point he mentions that Daphne Du Maurier also wrote the novel "The Birds", which "to my mind is a much better movie".
Most people who are not film students listen to commentaries because they are fans of the film in question. And to hear Richard Schickel advise them that the movie really isn't very good and that the original audience for Rebecca was mousy housewives who can identify with the second Mrs. DeWinter is rather insulting. If you're not a fan of the film, why are you doing the commentary? I don't think commentaries should be uncritical puff pieces unendingly singing the praises of all sorts of mediocrity, but Schickel seems to have this attitude that he's doing someone a favor by spending two hours doing a commmentary on a film that isn't worthy of his time.

He also makes mistakes in some of the commentary information.

Crawdaddy

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
A little bit of curmudgeon is OK. It's better than the commentary on animated films where the talking heads mouth soundbite platitudes about how great everything is. Anyway, Rebecca is hardly a film that's above criticism.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by bigshot

Anyway, Rebecca is hardly a film that's above criticism.

Well that's true of most films, but still, if we've purchased a classic we love on blu-ray and take the time to listen to the commentary, chances are we aren't casual viewers who need to be told a film isn't worthy of the love we have for it. To have a commentary that, at times, borders on contempt is not one I'll listen to more than once (if I even decide to try it at all, I'm still undecided on that)

That being said, this has always been one of my favorites (fond memories of Sunday afternoons watching WPIX channel 11 out of New York, which ran this constantly when I was a kid and helped shape the movie fanatic I became) and the blu is stunning so far (I'm watching it as I type this.) It does full justice to the incredible art direction.

The main criticism for me (after having seen it SO many times) is that, after repeated viewings, the seams in Joan Fontaine's performance really start to show. Olivier doesn't bother me at all because the somewhat arch, mannered performance fits the character perfectly. It's how I would expect a man of Maxim's wealth and breeding between the wars to behave.

Anyway, great review (as always) Matt and thanks!

edit: I'm adding a postscript to this as each time I see this I think I'm just going to look at the transfer, etc and I always get caught up in the story. After all these years I STILL get such a thrill when Fontaine finally gets a backbone and says, "These are MY things now!" Is it great Hitchcock? Maybe not, but it's pure Hollywood 1939/1940 (and I love that Hitchcock adds little touches like Fontaine bringing her purse to the breakfast table and that he has her commit the HOPELESSLY middle class sin of putting the milk in FIRST!)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Does anyone actually listen to commentary tracks that aren't by the filmmaker more than once? I sure don't.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by bigshot

Does anyone actually listen to commentary tracks that aren't by the filmmaker more than once? I sure don't.

As a matter of fact, I do. I just relistened to the Richard Valley commentary for The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes last night after watching the movie. I hadn't heard it since I got the DVD several years ago, and since I've just gotten the Blu-ray collection of the 14 Rathbone/Holmes films, I'm rewatching all the films and relistening to the commentaries where they exist.

The commentaries by film historians of note are always worth a revisit (at least for me). Love Ron Haver's commentary for Singin' in the Rain on the Criterion laserdisc, and there are others I've listened to multiple times (John Fricke's.superb one for The Wizard of Oz on the Ultimate Oz laserdisc set, Miles Kreuger on the 1936 Show Boat, etc.)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yes. What Matt said. (And thanks for the reminder that I still need that Criterion Singin' in the Rain.)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
As a fan of the older classics where the original filmmaker was seldom around to do a commentary, I actually prefer the film historians like Ronald Haver, Rudy Behlmer and Jeanine Basinger who all did fine commentaries on films they were actually enthusiastic about, unlike Mr. Schickel. I revisit their commentaries on occasion. Commentaries by the directors often tend to obsess over the techniques of filming at the expense of the larger story being told. I'd actually prefer to hear from the writers more often than the directors.

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
Rob_Ray said:
Richard Schickel is a curmudgeon whose commentaries always infuriate me. (I do listen to them though, so I guess his methods work!). Throughout "Gentleman's Agreement" he keeps lamenting that it's such a shame that it isn't a better movie and makes disparaging remarks about the two leads. In the case of Rebecca, at one point he mentions that Daphne Du Maurier also wrote the novel "The Birds", which "to my mind is a much better movie". Most people who are not film students listen to commentaries because they are fans of the film in question. And to hear Richard Schickel advise them that the movie really isn't very good and that the original audience for Rebecca was mousy housewives who can identify with the second Mrs. DeWinter is rather insulting. If you're not a fan of the film, why are you doing the commentary? I don't think commentaries should be uncritical puff pieces unendingly singing the praises of all sorts of mediocrity, but Schickel seems to have this attitude that he's doing someone a favor by spending two hours doing a commmentary on a film that isn't worthy of his time.
+1! For some reason I thought I'd be the only one in the world worrying about that. The moment I read about the special features I wondered, couldn't they have gotten anybody else?
MattH. said:
I just relistened to the Richard Valley commentary for The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes last night after watching the movie. I hadn't heard it since I got the DVD several years ago, and since I've just gotten the Blu-ray collection of the 14 Rathbone/Holmes films, I'm rewatching all the films and relistening to the commentaries where they exist. The commentaries by film historians of note are always worth a revisit (at least for me). Love Ron Haver's commentary for Singin' in the Rain on the Criterion laserdisc, and there are others I've listened to multiple times (John Fricke's.superb one for The Wizard of Oz on the Ultimate Oz laserdisc set, Miles Kreuger on the 1936 Show Boat, etc.)
I didin't like the commentaries on the Sherlock Holmes set much. I think my favorite was the one for the last movie, featuring the actress who played the villain. There might have been another good one, but I remember I hated one of the guys who did a few. Very dull and non-insightful. Bogdanovich's commentary for "The searchers" also comes to mind as another big let-down. Also I believe Carpenter and someone else did another bad one for "Rio Bravo". I'm not a fan or Rudy Behlmer commentaries either, it's mostly like reading actor filmographies, but I admit the one he did for "The black pirate" was OK. Jeanine Basinger, I remember Iistening to a great one by her ("The lady Eve"), and an awful one ("Gigi", probably). I remember I loved Roger Ebert's commentary for "Casablanca". Wish he would have done more of these movies.

Randal Gist

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Randal Gist
Thanks for the review. I was able to pick this and Notorious up today at Costco--they did not have Spellbound--and am looking forward to watching Mrs. Danvers again very soon soon. Dame Judith Anderson is greater than great. Rebecca and Notorious along with Shadow of Doubt and Foreign Correspondent are my favorite forties Hitchcock. I would have to second and third the opinion that Richard Schieckel's commentaries are curmudgeonly and he fairly often gets simple facts incorrect. This would not be so bad if he were otherwise informative and entertaining; but he always sounds as if he is bored and doesn't really want to be doing it--but they are paying him so . . . That said, I will listen to Mr. Schieckel and hope that he does not tick me off as he has done on some other commentaries he has recorded. On the subject of re-listening to commentaries, there are a number critics/acadamics/film-makers that I will listen to more that once: Eddie Muller; James Ursini & Alain Silver are especially good listens. Roger Ebert did great commentaries for Casablanca and Citizen Kane. There are however plenty of commentaries that I want to turn off halfway though the film.

Watched this for the first time last night. I finished it today. Excellent movie and blu-ray presentation!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
eric scott richard said:
Watched this for the first time last night. I finished it today. Excellent movie and blu-ray presentation!
It's a classic, isn't it! I've watched it probably a dozen times over the last 25 years, and so I think it has great replay value. I got a vhs copy in c. 1988, then replaced that with a Criterion DVD in c. 2003, and now the blu-ray which looks quite a bit like running a good 35mm print. It's the best it's ever looked since the 40s, I'd wager.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Schickel's commentaries - and Bogdanovich's, when they're for somebody else's movies - are dreary at best, borderline worthless at worst.

Schickel's "Rebecca" track is one of his crummiest. He says little, and when he DOES talk, he mostly just narrates the movie.

I've seen at least 20 Schickel commentaries, and not a single one is better than "okay". I don't know why he gets so much work as commentator...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks