What's new

Rear speakers are "hissing" please help (1 Viewer)

Gruson

Second Unit
I have a 7.1 set up, using a Yamaha RX-v1000 receiver. I am using the 6.1 (rear center) preout from the Yamaha and running it to an old Sony receiver (acting as an amp). I then have the rear center speakers connected from the Sony's MAIN (L-R) speaker output.

This works great but for some reason there is an awful "hissing" or "buzzing" sound coming from the speakers. I have all of the speakers at the same dB level (used an SPL meter) but the rear centers are the only ones hissing.

I assume it is something with the Sony receiver that I am using to power the EX channel.

Any ideas how I can get rid of this problem?

It is driving me nuts.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
How did you run your speaker wire to the rear speakers. It is possible that one or both of these wires is in close proximity to some AC wiring or a light fixture that is inducing the hum?

Les Holt

Agent
Solution to hissing speaker problem follows:

1. Put on gloves.

2. Open up speaker back.

3. Remove snakes from speakers and place outside.

4. Replace speaker back.

If this doesn't work, try (with all power turned off) removing all inputs to your amp (receiver), turn power on, and see if you still get hiss. If so, the problem is in your preamp (receiver).

You might also have a ground loop - have you isolated the cable TV connection?

Les

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It's possible that it's the sony...how do the rears sound if the sony drives them by itself as a receiver? also try flipping things around and have the sony power the fronts. what happens if the yamaha handles all the power? still hissing?

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"This works great but for some reason there is an awful "hissing" or "buzzing" sound coming from the speakers."

Hissing is normally associated with amplifier noise.

Buzzing could be a ground loop, bad amp or a bad connector between amps.

Hissing sounds like a balloon letting air out.
Buzzing is like hum but "raspier".

Finding out which one you have might speed things up.

Gruson

Second Unit
It is "hissing" for sure.
There were no snakes in my speakers either ;)
I am almost positive it is something to do with the Sony. I will run the Sony by itself and see what happens.
This hissing is really annoying me.
-JW

Gruson

Second Unit
Problem fixed.

My Sony receiver was locked in 5-channel mode. I switched it to 2-channel and the hiss is gone.

WOO HOO!

Les Holt

Agent
Actually, if you have ported speakers, the snakes crawled out on their own. Check around your house.

Les

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks