Need help please..L/C/R sound coming from rears!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MikeKeck, Jul 10, 2006.

1. MikeKeck

MikeKeck Extra

Hi, I've encountered a problem with my sound in which I am desperate to find a solution. I will try my best to explain the problem..

Since I've finished my theater, i've probably watched a movie everyday in it since, which was about 3-6 months ago. Everything was fine until yesterday..As for setup, I have 2 amps, a 2 channel and a 5 channel (the L/R channel going through the 2 channel) which is then going through a Parasound C2 controller to a 7.1 speaker setup..

So, I sat down to watch a movie with a DTS 6.1 soundtrack and about 20 min into the movie I realize all the voices are coming from the rears..Then I realize that none of the front speakers are making any sound at all! At first I thought it was the DVD player..its a Denon 3910 and its gave me problems in the past where no sound would come from the center channel and a simple power off then back one would fix it, not this time.. So then I put in a different DVD..same thing. So THEN I put in a CD, all the sound in stereo came from the rears again. I finally figured out that my surround sides where acting as my L/R channels and my surround backs were acting as my Center channel. So, knowing that it might not be the DVD player, I hooked up a different source, an xbox, only to find the sound again only came from the rears. Now, it doesnt seem as if the fronts do not work at all and the only sound you hear is the ambient sound from the rears, it sounds as if the rears actually got switched and are now acting as my fronts. You can still here the slight hiss from the fronts so you know they are on, they also respond to volume change.

Sorry this is long, but its the only way I can describe the problem, can anyone help me? I havent switched anything in the settings for this to happen, and even if I did hit something on the remote, is there even a setting to make this happen? Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It seems pretty clear that the wiring is the issue. The preamp outs from the receiver are going to the wrong amps or the wiring from the amp to the individual speakers is incorrect.

3. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

I can't really tell fom your description, are you saying that the audio from your source goes into some sort of decoder, then the outputs of the decoder go to various amplifiers?

I would agree that there is likely some kind of goof-up in the wiring.

or, maybe you have your chair facing the wrong way....grin.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Since you didn't mention changing any wiring, to me it sounds like the DSP system in that complicated Parasound preamp had an electronic "fit" (maybe due to an electrical surge of some sort?). Maybe a system reset would fix the problem?

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Interesting.

Are you using unbalanced or balanced connections between the preamp and amplifiers?

Did you program the Halo yourself, or did a installer handle it? If the latter, my guess is that tricky programming compensated for a installation error, and this programming was somehow erased.

For the thread's benefit, the manual can be downloaded here.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I hadn't considered that, I suppose it is possible that various channels were assigned incorrectly and/or as a result of incorrect wiring. If incorrect wiring is the ultimate problem however, I would rather correct that issue than use programming to compensate for an error.