What's new

"REALLY Bad Shows I'd Buy On DVD... (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
There was a one disc release of "The Bill Dana Show" that Dana himself put out through his website seven or eight years ago that had six episodes out of sequence from both seasons. It was labeled "Volume 1" as if he hoped to have more releases but it never happened and you can no longer get it through the website.

I snatched "Quark" when it came out solely because of the great guest shot of Barbara Rhoades. Glad I did!

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I wouldn't call any of these "really bad" but some are probably at least "somewhat bad":

Jennifer Slept Here

The Phoenix

The Powers Of Matthew Star

Hard Time On Planet Earth

The Tortellies

Me and Maxx

Finder Of Lost Loves

That's Incredible (just a few episodes)

Love Sidney

Out of This World

The Whiz Kids

We Got It Made

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm less tolerant of owning "bad" TV series than I am of owning "bad" movies (I have quite a few of the latter), maybe because of the greater time investment involved with series television, or maybe "bad" TV is generally more bland than the entertainingly "WTF???" nature of truly wretched and/or oddball films, I dunno. Plus, there's the factor that the "bad" TV I like the most has already been released and is on my shelf (Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot... Lexx... the sillier/crazier episodes of Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Star Trek and Dragnet).

For unreleased-in-R1 stuff, I guess I'd go with these:

Cliffhangers!

No Soap, Radio (probably more strange than outright "bad", based on my recollections)

Darkroom

Captain Nice

World of Giants

Stan Brock's Expedition: Danger

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
I'm less tolerant of owning "bad" TV series than I am of owning "bad" movies (I have quite a few of the latter), maybe because of the greater time investment involved with series television, or maybe "bad" TV is generally more bland than the entertainingly "WTF???" nature of truly wretched and/or oddball films, I dunno. Plus, there's the factor that the "bad" TV I like the most has already been released and is on my shelf (Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot... Lexx... the sillier/crazier episodes of Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Star Trek and Dragnet).

For unreleased-in-R1 stuff, I guess I'd go with these:

Cliffhangers!

No Soap, Radio (probably more strange than outright "bad", based on my recollections)

Darkroom

Captain Nice

World of Giants

Stan Brock's Expedition: Danger

I agree with you on your first three! Would buy them, definitely!

Here are some others I'd throw into the mix:

Showtime's Steambath

Showtime's Brothers (probably wasn't considered bad at the time, but what little I've seen recently hasn't aged well)

HBO's Hardcore TV

HBO's The Hitchhiker (a complete-series run of the HBO seasons, unedited and including the original Nicholas Campbell versions of episodes 1-3)

Everything Goes! (sort of an R-rated attempt at a cross between The Gong Show and Hollywood Squares)

The Gong Show

Bigfoot and Wildboy

Phoenix Five (Australian sci-fi show aimed at kids)

Come Back, Mrs. Noah (rare 'bomb' from British partnership of Jeremy Lloyd and David Croft)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Let's see,

Makin' It: Has topped my list of really bad shows I'd love to own for years closely followed by:

Holmes & Yo-Yo: Saw it when it originally aired and it was as dreadful as I remember.

On The Rocks: 70's sitcom about life in a minimum security prison. Tasteless in a Hogan's Heroes way.

The Sonny Comedy Revue: Saw a couple of episodes of this when it aired and it was awful. I'm sure I would love it today.

The Amazing Spider Man: Bad beyond words.

Lucan: A total turkey but goofy fun.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll check my shelf when I'm home. :D I do have that Quark that's oop. It's not too bad, like Mork and Red Dwarf. Needed another season or 2 to develop.

Nice thread idea...

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I've been very definitely desiring to get Street Hawk (short-lived 1985 ABC series w/Rex Smith).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Brian Himes said:
Let's see,

Makin' It: Has topped my list of really bad shows I'd love to own for years closely followed by:

Holmes & Yo-Yo: Saw it when it originally aired and it was as dreadful as I remember.

On The Rocks: 70's sitcom about life in a minimum security prison. Tasteless in a Hogan's Heroes way.

The Sonny Comedy Revue: Saw a couple of episodes of this when it aired and it was awful. I'm sure I would love it today.

The Amazing Spider Man: Bad beyond words.

Lucan: A total turkey but goofy fun.

Forgot about that one not being out! Yes, I'd definitely put that on my list, too. Would also like an English-subtitled (or dubbed) release of the the '70s Japanese Spider-Man series, too!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Hello, Larry is something that should have worked. McLean Stevenson had two post-M*A*S*H bombs behind him, and the second one, In the Beginning, was a T.A.T. production, so they concocted this for him, a sort of male answer to One Day at a Time, a connection reinforced when Shelley Fabares played his ex-wife. The supporting cast was good, especially Joanna Gleason and Kim Richards. The show's woes ran deeper than lackluster scripts if they recast the younger sister* (Lisa Whelchel had a choice between this and Blair Warner, and nobody can argue she made the wrong choice) and got rid of the radio station setting to focus on Larry's home life and the people in his apartment. They even brought in Meadowlark Lemon! Even trying to make it a retroactive spin-off of Diff'rent Strokes didn't help it. But who am I kidding, I'd buy it just to see whether sitting through the show's entire 35 episode run is actually doable.

One thing I just realized after watching this show is that all McLean Stevenson's post-M*A*S*H shows were three-camera shows instead of one-camera like M*A*S*H.

Makin' It used a lot of actual disco hits, including the Bee Gees since they wanted a made-for-TV Saturday Night Fever, and who's going to shell out the music licensing for a five-episode flop? And for a Paramount show no less! Maybe VEI or Shout!, who at least try to get music cleared as much as possible, will want a crack at it someday.

*Possibly for the same reasons Mackenzie Phillips took a leave of absence from her show.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Concrete Cowboys. Maybe not a really bad show, but not really good either.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would probably buy both Holmes & Yoyo and Blankie's Beauties if they were released. I actually watched them both when they were on the air. Yikes!

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Nancy Walker had another short lived show after BLANSKEY'S BEAUTIES, yes? THE NANCY WALKER SHOW?? I'd pick up both of those plus (I think it was called ) THE BETTY WHITE SHOW?

I'd get all of these.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
MatthewA said:
Makin' It used a lot of actual disco hits, including the Bee Gees since they wanted a made-for-TV Saturday Night Fever, and who's going to shell out the music licensing for a five-episode flop? And for a Paramount show no less! Maybe VEI or Shout!, who at least try to get music cleared as much as possible, will want a crack at it someday.

Hi Matthew!

According to it's Wikipedia page, MAKIN' IT ran for 9 episodes, which jibes with my memory.

Nevertheless, I believe your assertion of Paramount not wanting to splurge for music rights for such a short lived series still holds! Heck, Paramount falls far short even in that department, even for their long running series!

While I don't recall much about the MI episodes themselves, I do remember ABC promoting the heck out of it back in the day! It's quick and decisive failure must have been a pretty huge blow for the then number 1 U.S. Television Network!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

P.S. I could be interested in an AfterMASH release, though from what little I've seen of it on YouTube, it didn't strike me as being particularly bad--Just relatively shortlived at its 1 Season + 31 (Plus 1 unaired in the U.S.) episode total.

On the other hand, the single pilot episode of W*A*L*T*E*R.... ;)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
AndyMcKinney said:
I agree with you on your first three! Would buy them, definitely!

Here are some others I'd throw into the mix:

Showtime's Steambath

Showtime's Brothers (probably wasn't considered bad at the time, but what little I've seen recently hasn't aged well)

HBO's Hardcore TV

HBO's The Hitchhiker (a complete-series run of the HBO seasons, unedited and including the original Nicholas Campbell versions of episodes 1-3)

Everything Goes! (sort of an R-rated attempt at a cross between The Gong Show and Hollywood Squares)

The Gong Show

Bigfoot and Wildboy

Phoenix Five (Australian sci-fi show aimed at kids)

Come Back, Mrs. Noah (rare 'bomb' from British partnership of Jeremy Lloyd and David Croft)

I loved Brothers and still watch the episodes I have on VHS occasionally. It is a bit goofy at times, but it was pretty groundbreaking at the time. I recorded it in syndication and I would love to have the originals, not the "cleaned up for syndication" versions.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Back when Tom Arnold was married to Roseanne, they got ABC to give Arnold his own sitcoms. Twice, actually. Both were bad. But so bad they were funny. Sorta like GET A LIFE.

I would pick up both Tom Arnold shows.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
90 Bristol Court

No Time For Sergeants

The Good Guys

Pistols 'n' Petticoats

Many Happy Returns

The Jean Arthur Show

Run Buddy Run

Camp Runamuck

Baileys of Balboa

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks