What's new

re:ADA products (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Hi all..

I hear everybody talking about other name brands, ie lexicon, anthem, etc. What is if any, opinion on ADA products?

Thanks

R~

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Rhett
ADA is a bit player in HT and audio. Their products are very expensive. You might want to check over at the AVS forum. There are more big spenders over there.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
A bit player? Not really.

ADA makes some of the best and most bulletproof multi-zone and custom installation products...period! Their products carry a high price tag and can do some amazing things. For instance, a Silk processor can drive multiple 7.1 Home Theaters. No one else even comes close in this regard. Their product are among the most sofisticated made in the market and the price tag reflects this. ADA is certainly not a retail product but in my world (custom multi-zone audio/video and high end home theater) they match up well against everyone. Regards.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Excuse me. In the mega buck, custom installation, multi-zone world, ADA is not a bit player.

I have heard that the Krell and Lexicon people bow and pay homage when the ADA people enter the room.;)
No ADA is no bit player. They are indeed and high quality, high performance player of which there are few competitors in their arena.

Paul Donovan

Auditioning
First, this is a great forum. Just found it.
I just sent back a ADA Rhapsody today to UBID. Basically it is a professional unit formerly sold by custom installers that is not being supported by ADA. There is a 60+ page manual that shows all of the great features but a two page preprinted sheet on how to use the remote control. Couldn't get the modes to change. For example there 7 Dolby Digital modes but you had to manually change them. Also it didn't auto detect the signal e.i., DTS as it said it would. That may be because I have an old Technics DVD player (although it does pass DTS signals)Also remote control only operates the processor from what I could tell tv, DVD, tuner, cd, to operate itself.
Sent e-mails to ADA. They answered a couple of emails. They told me that they no longer make the "Thing" the remote control for there more expensive processor for there more which I believe would also operate this unit. they are not sure about an upgrade at this time. Wouldn't answer questions on how to operate it with remote control.
Also found out that many dealers no longer sell it. I would not recommend the purchase of it unless through an installer who can also sell you a Crestron or Niles to operate it.
:angry: :angry:

Cub Karabian

Auditioning
As a regular owner/user of ADA gear (MPA-500 Power Amp and Cinema Rhapsody Processor), I can agree with earlier statements regarding the exceptional quality and highly professional nature of this equipment. And yes, amongst Home Theater and Installation professionals, ADA does have something of a mystical reputation for amazing engineering and sonics. I have also found the staff at ADA more than responsive and a delight to do business with.

ADA has been doing Home Theater since before there was a term home theater. Their products are expensive, yes, but they are engineered for accoustic perfection (music and movies) and achieve as close to that term as I can honestly say I have ever heard (having auditioned more things than I can remember).

However, ADA theater gear is also designed more for the high-end custom installer who is familiar with VERY COMPLICATED installations of a top-flight nature, than for even the above average consumer. Along with ADA products comes a certain investment of time and understanding in setting them up, which is at a level required by only a handfull of other processors out there (the Theta comes to mind). Setup of a Rhapsody can take not hours, but days of intricate work on settings and interactions with other equipment to get it to sound AND FUNCTION correctly. I know this from painful experience and frustration. The remote documentation is inadequate, and the manual can be complex at a minimum, but if you are up for a challenge then you cannot, in my humble opinion, do better for equipment in any way shape or form.

*** This does not even bring up the concept of their multi-room stuff, which is TOTALLY NOT for the faint of heart - but also remains the one of the most highly regarded multiroom system(s) in the industry.

My two cents. Yep - I'm sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks