What's new

Rare shocker PRIVATE PROPERTY (1960) coming to Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Jobla

Supporting Actor
This thought-lost Warren Oates psychodrama will reportedly be released on Blu-ray and VOD by a new distributor, Cinelicious Pics, in the summer of 2016.

The film was exhibited without an MPAA code rating on the art house theater circuit in 1960, but vanished after that. It is arguably the first of the American suburban thrillers, such as KITTEN WITH A WHIP and LADY IN A CAGE. It was the first film from Leslie Stevens, who later directed THE OUTER LIMITS and INCUBUS, the supernatural film in Esperanto.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
It played US art house theaters in 1960, and then disappeared from view (other than a rare 1965 reissue in Denmark, IIRC.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
There was no MPAA rating system in 1960, so, no, it wasn't exhibited without an MPAA rating.

It doesn't even appear to have fun afoul of the Catholic League of Decency :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_condemned_by_the_Legion_of_Decency

But unless someone has better eyes than me and can find it on this list : http://members.chello.nl/~a.degreef/Filmnummers.html It does not appear to have a Production Code number and that is to what the OP might be referring :cool:

Last edited:

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Reportedly, the film opened without a Code number, as Bruce mentions, and received a condemnation from the Legion of Decency (the movie that is, not Bruce).

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
A code number has nothing to do with what eventually became the MPAA ratings system - the MPAA began rating films in 1968. I probably received a condemnation from the Legion of Decency, at least I hope we did :)

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
This film played more than art houses. It was one of three films paired with VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED, that I saw back when I saw that film so many times while it was in theaters. The other two being LET'S MAKE LOVE and THE LAST TIME I SAW ARCHIE. VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED was better than all of them. However, PRIVATE PROPERTY is the one I would want to see, again.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
A code number has nothing to do with what eventually became the MPAA ratings system - the MPAA began rating films in 1968. I probably received a condemnation from the Legion of Decency, at least I hope we did :)

I can't see where you were, but based upon some documents donated by the League you had a file folder (as did Private Property)... http://www.catholicresearch.net/data/ead/html/cua-OFB.html
http://www.catholicresearch.net/data/ead/html/cua-OFB.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Nudie_Musical

Of course The Apple Dumpling Gang had a file too so maybe that is how you got your condemnation ;) !

Craig Rogers

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Rogers
"Private Property was denied a seal by Hollywood's Production Code Administration, but it was passed without change of any sort by the New York State Board of Censors." - from the public relations handbill given out at the preview screening of Private Property.

The above appeared in Vol. 14 No. 1, Autumn, 1960 Film Quarterly review of Private Property. Perhaps that sheds some light on the "no code" questions.

Our release was delayed (due to replication issues beyond our control.) We've just received the first discs at our office today and they'll ship asap if you order directly from cineliciouspics.com. Otherwise, amazon.com orders begin shipping on 11/8. Sorry for the delay on this release, but it's worth the wait!

Thanks,

Craig

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Great to hear that the discs have finally arrived!

In Seattle, PRIVATE PROPERTY opened and played for one week in July of 1960, supported by the co-feature SCHOOL FOR LOVE with Brigitte Bardot, at one of the downtown movie palaces (where the ads specified "No one under 21").

Then, in the first week of January of 1961, PRIVATE PROPERTY returned as the co-feature to EXPRESSO BONGO at a small arthouse theater. That weeklong engagement was its last Seattle screening.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently re-watched Private Property - for only the second time. It's great to see this formerly "lost" film getting the attention it deserves re: the 2016 Blu disk. As has been mentioned, this film had been almost completely unseen after it was released to the theater. Prior to the 2016 disk, it never had a home video release. And, I somehow doubt it was shown on TV or cable - or at least not to any great extent.

I'm a fan of the late Warren Oates, and enjoy every film he's starred in - even if he's not the main character. He definitely a "scene stealer" or rather "scene chewer" - even in his smaller roles. Oates is one of those actors I always picture with a bottle of beer/whiskey in one hand, and a cigarette in the other - even if he didn't actually have these onscreen.

So, it was interesting to see this early Oates role, where he played a completely different character than his later roles. He was basically a follower/side-kick for most of the film. And - he didn't make much of an impression, until the very end of the film.

Some other comments:

-The film is quite dark & disturbing, especially by early 1960's standards.

-I liked how the film initially started out with the two drifters walking on the CA shoreline/beach, which was an overall pleasant scene. However, the foreboding score made it obvious that the film was not going to be a typical CA beach movie.

- Interesting that the appliance salesman that the drifters encountered early on commented about different "groups" people were in, and that these "groups" didn't mix. This was made painfully apparent as the storyline progressed to the violent conclusion.

-This movie probably made a big impression when it came out - for the few of those that saw this. It seems apparent that it was "lost" for so long because of the then-controversial subject matter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks