What's new

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (8 Viewers)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Watched a wonderfully fuzzy 4:3 Pan and Scan print of "Raintree County" on the TCM Channel the other night.
What an experience. :blink:

If they ever get around to re-doing the 1951 version of "Show Boat" I hope they retain the Laserdisc's fabulous Stereo track.

Doug.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
classicmovieguy said:
It should be noted that the remaster of "Gypsy" was originally done for Warner's Natalie Wood Collection DVD set (back when Warners was still active in it's regular catalogue releases as opposed to MOD), and as such only needed minimal extra attention to bring it up to Blu-ray quality.
I am aware that it was not much of an effort for Warner, that is why I would expect better for Raintree County as for that one they would have to start from scratch.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have no expectations for Raintree County to be released on blu-ray especially if it needs extensive restoration. Personally I would like to see all large format films released because they provide the best blu-ray viewing experience. I can't see sales of a Raintree County blu-ray exceeding titles like High Society or some of the other important VistaVision films which Warners have thus far chosen not to release.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Here is another reason I feal this way. The film was cut but the edits were added back into film in the 90s. The studio went to that much trouble so they should go all the way. The film should be in HD. I will keep saying this until it happens. We fans have to put up with these VHS copies. The film was a GIANT and the town that some of the scenes were filmed in I am sure want it's release.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am a Star Wars fan who saw the film when it was first released in the theater. I am happy that fans want the original. The movie has been release so many time and I have those original tapes. Raintree Fans need to unite as the SW fans have and get behind Andrew in his quest!!!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Doug Bull said:
Watched a wonderfully fuzzy 4:3 Pan and Scan print of "Raintree County" on the TCM Channel the other night.
What an experience. :blink:

If they ever get around to re-doing the 1951 version of "Show Boat" I hope they retain the Laserdisc's fabulous Stereo track.

Doug.
Odd that they showed it pan and scan.
When I finally got to see this film a few years ago, it was via the widescreen showing on TCM, which included a few little featurettes about the making of the movie and Liz and Monty coming to the town the film was being filmed in. (I see it was called "Operation Raintree" and it posted on YouTube and noted at the FB page Andrew set up.)

I thought TCM didn't do anything other than present films OAR (unless OAR was not available), but I haven't been paying attention as of late.

I guess one question I would have for WB, is that if this is a question of investing money in a film that will likely not have huge returns, is this a situation where starting a Kickstarter to have the film restored would be appropriate? I am just coming from a position of really wanting this film on a quality Blu-ray, but being ignorant of exactly what it costs to do a restoration the likes of which Robert Harris did on My Fair Lady...and technology has changed since he did that film.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Mark Walker said:
I guess one question I would have for WB, is that if this is a question of investing money in a film that will likely not have huge returns, is this a situation where starting a Kickstarter to have the film restored would be appropriate? I am just coming from a position of really wanting this film on a quality Blu-ray, but being ignorant of exactly what it costs to do a restoration the likes of which Robert Harris did on My Fair Lady...and technology has changed since he did that film.
Going to at least 4k digital files for Raintree County with the level of quality we expect from Warner would certainly cost a 6-digit sum and I am not talking 100000$. Just how much exactly would certainly depend on the condition of the elements and if the work performed is strictly towards the creation of digital files which is not how Warner usually works. I would think that if Warner revisits Raintree County they would go all the way and also do some work in the photochemical domain in order to have proper film elements in place for the future.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw a 35mm mono print at the BFI Southbank a few years ago, it was not a dye transfer copy, butstill looked pretty good.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
I saw a 35mm mono print at the BFI Southbank a few years ago, it was not a dye transfer copy, butstill looked pretty good.
Probably a print that was struck at a later date, all Eastman prints from 57 have long faded to pink.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Hey everyone! Just a reminder that the chat is tomorrow at 4pm ET on http://www.reddit.com/r/Movies You need to register, but it only takes a moment.

Hopefully some of you can join me tomorrow. I've invited the fans from the Facebook group (thank you to those here who have joined!). We Raintree fans really need to rally together and show Warner that there is demand for this title on Blu-ray (if the film winning Most Requested Catalogue Title right here in 2012 wasn't enough!).

Hope to see some of you there tomorrow!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Mr Feltenstein was kind enough to answer my question about Raintree during today's chat on Reddit:
RAINTREE COUNTY requires a very complicated and expensive restoration to give it a proper presentation. Warner Home Video is aware of the interest and it is under active consideration. The film was shot in 65mm, and the negative and safety separations were both cut to a shorter length for general release. 35mm prints (now faded) exist with the cut footage, but putting them together for a proper Blu-ray level presentation is an expensive proposition. Hopefully this will come to pass in the future.
I'm still hopeful that we'll see Raintree on Blu-ray in the not too distant future.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Doug Bull said:
"An Expensive Proposition"
Doesn't sound very encouraging at this time.

As long as we keep requesting it, then maybe it might happen.
I remain hopeful, and as long as we have folks like Mr. Feltenstein who truly appreciate classic film at the helm, I think there's a chance it could happen. I'll keep updating and trying to grow my Facebook page to keep interest alive in this film.

Thanks again to everyone for all the support!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks