What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

R.I.P. Joe Bologna -- Who Now Owns MY FAVORITE YEAR? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This was a 1982 MGM film. It is a perfectly wonderful satire depicting the days of live television (based apparently on the Sid Caeser program "Your Show Of Shows"), with Bologna and Peter O'Toole giving us delightful performances. Why the hell isn't this available on Blu-ray? Who owns it, 20th Fox/MGM, or Warner Bros.? In either case, let's get this hilarious movie out! Director/actor Richard Benjamin's best work ever.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
LOVE this film.

One of the best lines.

Two stuffy rich men are smoking on a balcony. Forget how but O Tooles Alan Swan(?) character is somehow hanging underneath them.

Man 1: Alan Swan is beneath us.
Man 2. Of course he is. He's an actor!

:rolling-smiley:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
LOVE this film.

One of the best lines.

Two stuffy rich men are smoking on a balcony. Forget how but O Tooles Alan Swan(?) character is somehow hanging underneath them.

Man 1: Alan Swan is beneath us.
Man 2. Of course he is. He's an actor!

:rolling-smiley:

Hahah, it has to share that honor with two more

Old lady upon seeing Swan in the Ladies' Room: "This is for ladies only!"
Swan: "So is this, madame, but occasionally I have to pass a little water through it."

and, of course, from the great Lainie Kazan: "Welcome to our humb!e chapeau!"

RIP Mr Bologna.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
One of my all time favorite films. I can't understand why this on isn't on Blu-ray. Love Joe Bologna's tough Sid Caesar-like character.
"Ladies are unwell, Stone. Gentlemen vomit."

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
One of My Favorite Films of the 80s. Warner seriously need to get this out via WAC. And while they're at it, how about Local Hero as well? Two snappers I need to replace!

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Peter O'Toole should have won Best Actor for this film. He was nominated, IIRC.
My mom and I went to see this when it came out.
She worked in live tv in the 1950s and said this film was a very accurate depiction of how wacky things really were.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Peter O'Toole should have won Best Actor for this film. He was nominated, IIRC.
He was indeed nominated, but he never had a chance of winning that year. Look at who he was up against:

Dustin Hoffman - Tootsie
Ben Kingsley - Gandhi (winner)
Jack Lemmon - Missing
Paul Newman - The Verdict

In retrospect, one of the all-time great Best Actor line-ups.

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
He was indeed nominated, but he never had a chance of winning that year. Look at who he was up against:

Dustin Hoffman - Tootsie
Jack Lemmon - Missing

I knew Kingsley would win, but I was pulling for Paul Newman. But that's one of those years where you really couldn't feel bad about any of them winning because they were all so good and all so totally different from one another.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
There was actually a wonderful sounding Broadway musical of "My Favorite Year" with Andrea Martin and Lainie Kazan reprising her role as the mother. I say sounding because although I have the CD and have listened to it many times, I never got to see it. It sounds hilarious and follows the movie very closely.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I believe Andrea Martin won her first Tony Award for My Favorite Year. The score was by Steven Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens who almost always turn out melodic scores. I never got to see it either. It didn't have a very long run, sad to say.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

Dustin Hoffman - Tootsie
Jack Lemmon - Missing

Yes, even Peter O' Toole was on record for saying "I should like to think that Mr. Newman will win", during a David Letterman interview that took place in the days shortly before the AMPAS telecast. Passionate about Mr. O' Toole, but The Verdict is arguably Newman's finest performance. Nonetheless, My Favorite Year is such damned fun. Well crafted-well acted-well executed. And yes, I'd scoop up a WAC BD of My Favorite Year in a heartbeat. RIP Mr. Bolgna; you were also great, great fun to watch in this film, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks