What's new

R.I.P. Jerry Herman (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is terrible news.

I saw the national touring production of Hello Dolly! twice this year -- first with Betty Buckley and then again with Carolee Carmello who is doing it now. It is a perfect production of one of the all-time greatest musicals and certainly Mr. Herman's finest score

They should really film the tour before it closes up so that the world can have a permanent recording of how that show should be done. (Barbara Streisand being miscast in the film version ruins it.) They could film it and dedicate it to his memory.

May he rest in peace.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
He has certainly been a part of my musical heritage since I was old enough to go to musicals (and later to be in them). It has been hard today wrapping my head around the fact that he's no longer with us. R.I.P., Jerry.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
A great musical talent; the man will be missed but his great music lives on forever. RIP and Thank you, Mr. Herman.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I met him once, at a book signing and concert in Glendale, California. A delightful, witty, and genuinely warm person, whose music and lyrics will live on for a long long time. He was 88. Sondheim turns 90 in 2020. A concert version of "Sunday in the Park With George" will be held at Disney hall this March I believe.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've never seen Mack and Mabel on the stage, but reading the synopsis of its libretto, it would seem to be a downer for a Herman musical, and that may be why it has had such spotty success on stage. It might have made a better film, however, since we tend to accept unhappy endings in movies more than in stage musicals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks