What's new

Quick review on 1080i scaling Liteon LVD2001 DVD Player (1 Viewer)

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

I tried un-screwing the grounding wire on my shielded IDE cable and could detect no visible difference.

However, I did re-attach it before I put the 2001 back together. You, know....because it would just bug me if I didn't. :)

Chris,
I have those same cables. Head to head with a set of $100+ dollar Monster cables I was given as a gift...I can tell little (if any) difference. In fact, I might just have to lean towards the AR cables a bit. Right now I'm having big-time shielding problems with my Monster Cables, whereas the AR cables do not seem to present the same problem.

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
My round IDE cable has twisted pairs that are evident and visible at the ends, where all the internal wires are exposed for an inch or 2 before they go in to the round braid casing. Does this exposed wiring present any shielding problems that would defeat their improvement qualities? Other than that the braid is totally tight, the transparent casing over it very thick, and the workmanship looks superb.

AR's are some of the cheapest cables at BB, I came to find out when I needed to outfit a client with a Toslink cable for his 5.1 optically linked digital audio. They ran either $19.95 or $24.95, depending on whether you wanted the 3' or the 6' versions. Monster is of course noticeably more expensive. At CC, last time I bought one there the RCAs were the cheapest Toslink brand, with a 4' version.

As far as the audio goes, I don't see any differences in expensive vs. inexpensive fibre optics. Don't want to repeat the entire discussion as to why the more expensive ones are better on that score, but...or do I...

Whattya think? Optical is not susceptible to inherently invisible RF noise interference. As long as the black shielding prevents any and all light from entering the wire and disturbing the light path, how can one brand of fibre optics be better than any other brand?

Mr Bob

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

Oh yeah...whoops...my bad. I mis-read Chris's post. I was thinking he was talking about video component cables, not Toslink. You're right....I can't imagine any kind of inteference with a Toslink cable.

I just got this player today and found that after switching to 480p,720p,1080i and then the next one is NTSC CVBS Ypbpr. What is this last setting? To me it seems the sharpest, while 720 and 1080 seem the softest.

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
The 480i has been recognized as not having the ringing that the 1080i has, and the 720p is way too soft - and ringified - for prime time.

Still, the 480i MUST go thru your RPTV's line doubler, and for my money gets messed up by it even with the reduced ringing. Does on my Panny anyway, whose line doubler has never been anything to write home about.

Even tho a bit softer, I still like the 1080i best.

Mr Bob

Jay Blair

Second Unit
It appears that the LiteOn is back, now with a new name: Norcent DP-501M. Sure seems to be the same player other than the name.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...9&loc=111&sp=1

The price is now $199.99. Hard to say if the firmware is unchanged, but the look and features are apparently the same.

I wonder if there will be a new firmware provided by Norcent that will work with the LiteOn. Other Sigma 8500 players have been receiving firmware updates.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Jay: Interesting... but no sign of 1080i upconverting.. maybe somebody can hack the firmware and reflash it with 2001? if so, i should really keep my eye on this one so i dont end up missing the train like i did with the 2001

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Check out the Norcent website. Under technical spec it mentions upconverting to 720P and 1080i, but just one quick note that is easy to overlook. I couldn't find a firmware to download to see which version they were offering. This might only offer a crippled firmware, but we won't know until somebody buys one and reports back.

http://www.norcent.net/norcent/produ.../dvddp501m.htm

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
I'm trying the Norcent. I'll let you know how it goes. It should be here Friday. :) It already has one plus to it-- no more "Light up your digital life" logo or whatever.

[EDIT] Nevermind, I canceled my order.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Actually, I've canceled it twice within the past 8 hours. :) I can't decide whether or not I want to do this again. I love the picture of the LiteOn, but I don't know if a) this really is a clone of the LiteOn or b) is the pic quality worth the constant failure-to-load problems I remember.

With that said, I really *do* miss the 1080i of the LiteOn.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I just picked up one of the LGDV7832 players. I have to recalibrate my RPTV, but I have verified it does upconvert via component as my set won't allow me to change aspect modes.

Kevin

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Kevin,

Does the 7832 allow you to play PAL DVDs on an NTSC TV, and can it be made region free?

Nathan,

With my two LiteOns I have had very few problems with loading (though it has done it a couple times, but not enough to be concerned with). I know a lot of people have reported a few problems with loading, but I don't think this is anything major. I talked 3 friends into buying the units, and they have reported 0 problems with loading. I think you just had bad luck. I also always now push the DVD to the back of the tray when loading and this seems to always cure the problem (the tray has just a slight amount of play, but there is some).

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
A simple open/close always fixed my loading problems-- I just hated doing it over and over. With that said, I reinstated my order with buy.com Tuesday night. :)

Jay Blair

Second Unit
FYI, it's now been confirmed that the Norcent is a clone of the LiteOn LVD-2001. It does scale to 1080i over component. Comes with software version 2.27. Upgrading to either 2.29 or 3.01b should improve the pic quality. Still waiting to hear if it has the hidden menu, but can't imagine that it wouldn't if the firmware is 2.27.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks