What's new

Quick Question: What are you guys entering for the port width of a 4" flared aeroport (1 Viewer)

Scott Parker

Agent
I'm using Adire's Lspcad. Do you think this is similar to a 5.3" non-flared port. If so this would give me a 16hz tune with a 16" port. But if its only 4" then I'm down to 13.9hz, so you can see my dilemma. Thanks

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'm not 100% sure the aeroport is the same as Adire's FP4. But with the FP4 kit you use 4" for the port diameter in LspCAD. Then whatever length LspCAD tells you, you cut the center tube of the flared port kit so that when the kit is assembled it's total length is 1" longer than the length LspCAD gave you.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Edit: Dustin's post slipped in. He's got the right idea.

From what I understand you can separate the flares from the center tube, cut the tube to a shorter length and then reattach the flares. A shorter port will give you a higher tuning.

A 4" flared port should tune the box very similar to a 4" non-flared port but will flow more air before it gets noisy (starts chuffing).

Lspcad can simulate flared ports for you.

Scott Parker

Agent
So what should I put in for the flare radius then. It says it has to be at least greater then half the port length. The Flare goes out to about 6.5". So this would give me a 3.25" flare radius then right? But this wouldn't work cause I need a 10" port so the minimum flare radius for this would 5". I'm confused. But I'll probably just go with some 6" PVC to cut down on air speed though, I just wanted to see if this was an option.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Scott, as I explained in the other thread, the end-flares of an Aeroport are not what LspCAD has in mind. If you look in the docs, you'll see they're referring to this type:
Link Removed
Where there's a constant radius along the entire port. Basically, leave it at "inf" and add an inch or so to what LspCAD reports if you use flares.

Scott Parker

Agent
Oh okay, thanks Jack. I knew I was doing something wrong. Do you know if it'd be closer to 4.7" or 5.3". Cause this would mean either an 11" or 16" long port.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks