What's new

Quick: Name something sci-fi/comic nerds might argue over (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Jason is right...read the original Niven!

Now, who is the sexiest alien? My vote goes for the Orion slave girl. Although, I hear that the mutant 6-breasted Orion Slave girls are the best...

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
tastes great or less filling?

Business calculator or scientific calculator

Apple vs Wintel

Plain vs salted

Is Star Wars really a ripoff of Asimov's Foundation?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would like to comment on this thread. I would like to know what purpose a thread like this actually serves.....other than to belittle someone else's interests. It may seem funny that some people take Sci/Fi and comics to such a level of minutiae, but I do not see any difference between Sci/Fi "nerds" and Home theatre/movie "nerds" talking about their particular passion.

How about "Quick: Name something that Home Theatre/Movie nerds would argue about"

Such as: Is pan and scan the plot of a Hollywood "Axis of Evil" or is widescreen the work of crazed internet movie "nerds"?

Is 100 dollar a foot "Monster" speaker wire the cat's ass or is 50 cent a foot lamp cord just as good?

Or how about, "Quick: Name something that anime "nerds" would argue about".

Such as: Is Neon Genesis Evangelion the greatest animated TV series ever made or just an overrated piece of overindulgent pop pschology flotsam?

I know it is an "unrelated to home theatre" discussion area, but I do not see much in this thread to discuss. It seems primarily designed to "make light" of another groups "obsession".

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I know it is an "unrelated to home theatre" discussion area, but I do not see much in this thread to discuss. It seems primarily designed to "make light" of another groups "obsession".
Can you eliminate "another group's" from your statement? Does that make the thread less offensive to you?

Brad

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I am writing a movie (for a class) about 3 kids who travel across the country to abduct Mark Hamill from a Star Wars convention. They hope to get him to star in their "ultimate" star wars fan film.

These 3 comic & sci-fi obsessives would likely have endless debates, like we all do, as they travel. In my day we would debate who would be the best actors for specific roles in an Xmen movie. Now that this is sorta moot and outdated (since 2 moies have come out now, and half the actors weren't even heard of when I was in the 7th grade), I wondered what people into this type stuff might debate now. Since i'm not up on the scifi world so much (although I regret that), I had hoped to get some ideas for conversations I could drop into and out of in the course of the story.

I would imagine 90% here would be self-proclaimed nerds or geeks. Heck, I know I am. I can't see anyone would be offended. This is the second thread I've seen recently where someone seemed to get bent out of shape on something that had, up to that point, been completely good natured. I apologize if anyone is offended, if anyone feel belittled.

Sometimes a bit of poking fun at ones self (as i imagine anyone who would take part here is doing, not point fingers)--- it's a good thing. I would use geeking sci-fi diatribes from my own life, if they weren't terribly outdated.

-Vince

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I am writing a movie (for a class) about 3 kids who travel across the country to abduct Mark Hamill from a Star Wars convention.
Does your class require you to worry about copyrights and trademarks in your script? It would seem that your script (and several of the arguments listed thus far) couldn't be filmed without passing a little funding along to George Lucas, et al. Goodness knows he needs the money. :)

Brad

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Since it's basically a mechanics class, I could turn in Star Wars and as long as the spelling is good, i'd be fine.

Although, I dunno if Lucas would have to sign off, star wrs ref seem to be in everything.

-V

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I was going to link to the "Who would win in a fight?" tournaments that we had in the Polls area last year, but the threads have all been trimmed down to the final post.

The stretch in the first poll where Yoda defeated Superman, Bugs Bunny, and (I think) Indiana Jones generated some pointless and fun arguments where I callously threw around the "fanboy" epithet. Ever since The Little Rascals argued about "Flash Gordon vs Tarzan", this sort of argument has always been a crowd pleaser.

Brad

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Vince-
Watch just about ANY Kevin Smith movie, especially MallRats, and this sort of argument pops up somewhere.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Does your class require you to worry about copyrights and trademarks in your script? It would seem that your script (and several of the arguments listed thus far) couldn't be filmed without passing a little funding along to George Lucas, et al.
Mentioning someone else's creation hardly requires you to compensate them. Quentin Tarantino and the aforementioned Kevin Smith do this often. Mark Hamill probably couldn't appear dressed as Luke Skywalker, but he could certainly play himself, a la John Malkovich in "BJM".

X-Files: "Conspiracy" vs. stand-alone vs. "funny" episodes.

Gormenghast is better than Lord of the Rings.

Adam West was the best Batman.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Personally I see this thread as fun. The word "NERD" always had a negative association to it, and I never thought I'd be on the nerd end of the stick. But ever since I've joined this forum, I see myself as a HT NERD and I'm proud of it.

So if the sci-fi geeks and nerds feel as passionately about their hobby as I do about mine, I see it impossible for them to be offended by any thing any one has to say about it. I know it's impossible for me to be insulted about HT.

Some people kill me with whining, give me a break man, some folks are too sensitive, I say have fun with it. Once your hobby stops being fun it's no longer a hobby it's work, and I do enuff of that AT my job.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
If you have sex with your clone, is that gay sex or masturbation?

What if you travel back in time and have sex with yourself from the past? Is that gay sex or masturbation?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Daren, those questions are answered at the Space Moose website. www.spacemoose.com (keep trying...it seems to be down now. Oh well. If you can get in, I suggest reading the infamous "Master of Time" episode).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks