What's new

Quick: Name something sci-fi/comic nerds might argue over (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Why did Star Fleet keep Captain Kirk as a captain despite his continous violations of the prime directive???

Why does Counselor Troi only seem to sense things 5 seconds before trouble happens? Why can't she sense things a few days before?

If you went back in time, and killed your grandmother, would you be born? If not, then you can't go back and kill your grandmother, so you'd be born. . .

Why do all hot alien species in ST-TOS enjoy kissing?

Why did Scotty always say "That's all she can take" when he knew damn well he could squeeze a little more out of her?

Why is it that any problems on the Enterprize can be fixed by "recalibrating the lateral sensor array"?

How does the intercom system on the Enterprize (ST-TNG) know when someone is calling another person, and not merely stating there name?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

At the time, Eastwood would have been neat- but he would have had to slouch over as he's too tall. Danzig would be funny (or Bruce McCulloch could do his character "Grivo" from Brain Candy which was just a Danzig parody)

I always wanted to see them do Gambit so that VanDamme or Harry Connick Jr could do him.

Obviously, even then Halle Berry was prime pick for Storm, and Patrick Stewart was the only choice for Professor X.

-Vince

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
A few Star Wars questions:

-Do Lightsabers have "Safety" switches?

-Anakin Skywalker was supposed to bring balence to the force, but since he didn't then is he not the "Choosen One"? If so, who is?

-If Obi-Wan could jump from platform to platform (in Ep. I, when fighting Maul) why didn't he just jump out of the rink (in Ep. II, when fighting the aliens)?

and finally,
-How do you plan a surprise party for Yoda? :D

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
How do you plan a surprise party for Yoda?
Tell him it's an "intervention" for Jar Jar Binks' methamphetamine addiction. :D

Here's an actual argument (not really nerd oriented) that I've tried to have but never gotten a good discussion out of: Adding up all of the time you've spent with men (sports, hanging out, fighting, drinking, being bossed around, whatever) and all the time you've spent with women (nagged/loved by mother, vicious ex-girlfriends, sex, hanging out, whatever), which has been more rewarding? On balance, I have to say men because there isn't much that is bad, whereas my time with women has mixed equally with good and bad. Most guys argue with me that the sex part cancels out all the bad. :)

Brad

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
(nagged/loved by mother, vicious ex-girlfriends, sex, hanging out, whatever)
I don't really do much of that with men ;)

So considering I do the same things with men as I do with women, and if you add in all the stuff I do with with women that I'd never do with men, I'd have to say it's been more rewarding with women.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Re: sex part canceling out the bad.

Maybe, but consider the sex part can lead to aids, herpes, gonnorhea, syphillis or even worse, children....

RE; Stuff nerds would use to pass the time:

1) How much the plot of this endeavor mirrors "Bowfinger (1999)" (Why not, breaking format and discussing the movie the characters are in as an old trick used very often - like in Spaceballs when they rented the movie they were makeing)

2) Anything that was in Spaceballs

3) Two words, 'Holy Grail"

4) If it has to be sci-fi, how about what Star Wars would be like had Monty Python made it.
"Come to the dark side Luke!"
"NIH!"

5) Has Yoda always been short or is it just really bad Osteoporosis? (He IS 600 years old...)

6) If there was a Red Wing, A Yellow Wing and A Blue wing attacking the Death Star, and if Homosexuals were allowed in the Rebellion, would they be the Pink wing?

7) Dare I guess how THEIR X wings would look?

8) If Superman could go back in time, then why not go back in time and save his parents?

9) You can't discuss comic book heros without discussing 'Mystery Men" movie. Go Spleen GO!

10) "There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't"

11) You can fool all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on the second set the most.

12) How many degrees of seperation does each castmember of each Star Trek have with each cast member of Star Wars?

Phew, OK, I am done... for now.

PS. re: oversensitive thread readers. I think the punsihment they deserve is already self inflicted... to spend the greater part of their existence being offended.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Anakin Skywalker was supposed to bring balence to the force, but since he didn't then is he not the "Choosen One"?
one of the Dark Horse comics (Tales, I think) has an interesting take on this. Yoda and Mace are sitting in a diner (I kid you not) and talking about Anakin's alleged potential of bringing balance to the Force.

Yoda pours a pile of salt on the countertop, and says this is a representation of the Jedi (light-side) in the galaxy. he then pours out two granules of pepper, and says this represents the two Sith. he then wipes all salt, save for two crystals, off the table. and asks, is that what is meant by bringing "balance"?

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I always thought Mel Gibson would make a great Wolverine. I always thought Emon (the model)would make a great Storm. And hands down with out a doubt only Arnold Schwarzenegger can be Colossus.

10) "There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't"
Don't you mean there are are only 00000010 kinds of people? ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I always thought the one that brought balance was Luke.
It's almost a Catch-22...Believing that Anakin was the "Choosen One" eventually lead to an unbalence in the force by training him as a Jedi.

But if they didn't believe that Anakin was the "Choosen One", then he would have never met Padme and may have never had kids (i.e. Luke).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I always figured that Anakin did lead to the balance in the force, whether that's through killing Emperor Palpatine in Return of the Jedi or fathering Luke.

Aren't we coming up with ideas, not arguing them?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Aren't we coming up with ideas
I'm all out.

But I can ask the old question (originated from some comedian whose name I forget):
On Gilligans Island, if the Professor can make a radio out of a couple of coconuts, then how come he couldn't fix the ship? :D

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
The original Japanese cut of 'Godzilla' is far superior to the US 'King of the Monsters' version!!!

Baloo and Little John.... yeah, I know Phil Harris voiced both of them but they're totally different characters ok!!!

The Martian machines in George Pal's 'War of the Worlds' should have had legs!

George Lucas ripped off Kurosawa! 'The Hidden Fortress' is clearly the inspiration for Star Wars.

How did the 2nd Doctor know his own future in 'The Five Doctors' ?

Who's more attractive - Minerva Mink or Fifi La Fume?

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
Damn Ted you beat me to it. I'm surprised it just now reared it's head.

How about this one from National Lampoons Senior Trip?

"Did ever ever wonder if Jason has nightmares, and if Freddy can invade his nightmares?"

JW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks